游遍美国五十州

英语学习内容包括视译,交替传译和同声传译三部分
正文

英语高级听力 08 课 (译文及图片)

(2010-01-23 00:30:08) 下一个

Lesson Eight

Section One: News in Brief

1. Two years of sensitive negotiations paid off today as seventy former Cuban political prisoners arrived in the United States. All of the prisoners had served least ten years in Cuban jails, and some had been in prison since Fidel Castro came to power in 1959. The release was arranged in part by French underwater explorer, Jacques Cousteau, and a delegation of American Roman Catholic bishops.

2. President Reagan today unveiled plans for a nine hundred million dollar plan to reduce drug abuse in the United States. It includes half a billion dollars for stepping up drug enforcement along US borders, especially in the southwest. The plan also calls for mandatory drug testing for some federal workers. NPR's Brenda Wilson reports. 'As part of his national crusade against drugs, President Reagan signed an executive order today requiring federal workers in sensitive positions to undergo drug tests. The order covers employees who have access to classified information, presidentially appointed officials, law enforcement officials, and any federal worker engaged in activities which affect public health and safety or national security. But heads of government agencies may order additional workers to take the test. Federal employees who are, found to have continued to use illegal drugs after a second test will be automatically fired. The over all drug testing program is expected to cost fifty-six million dollars, but administration officials could not get even a ballpark figure of how many workers may be included in the mandatory program. I'm Brenda Wilson.'

3. Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres is in Washington for talks with US leaders, including President Reagan. Earlier Peres met with Secretary of State George Shultz. Afterwards, the two told reporters that the Soviet Union will have no role in Middle East peace talks, because it has no diplomatic ties with Israel and does not permit free emigration of Soviet Jews.

第一节 简明新闻

1. 经过2年的敏感谈判今天终于有了结果70名前古巴政治犯抵达美国。所有这些囚犯都已至少在古巴监狱服刑10年,有些人自卡斯特罗1959年开始执政时起就被关押。这次的释放部分是由法国的水下探险家雅克库斯托以及美国的罗马天主教主教代表安排的。

2. 里根总统今天公布了一项9亿美元的计划以减少美国的毒品滥用状况。它包括50亿美元的加强美国边界特别是在西南边境的禁毒执法力度。该计划还要求对一些联邦工作人员进行强制药物检测。全国公共电台布伦达威尔逊报道。“作为国家打击毒品的十字军行动的一部分,里根总统今天签署了一项行政命令,要求在敏感职务上的联邦工作人员接受毒品检测。这项法令涉及到接触机密资料的雇员,由总统任命的官员,执法官员,以及任何从事的公众影响公共健康和安全以及国家安全的联邦工作人员。但是,政府机构的负责人可能要求另外的工作人员参加测试。凡是第二次药检发现有继续使用违禁药物反应的联邦雇员会被自动辞退。所有的药检计划,预计费用高达5600万美元,但政府官员还不能给出有多少员工涉及这项强制计划的一个大概数字。我布伦达威尔逊。” 

3. 以色列总理佩雷斯正在华盛顿与包括里根总统在内的美国领导人举行会谈。早些时候佩雷斯会见了国务卿乔治舒尔茨。此后,两人告诉记者苏联不会在中东和谈占有一席之地,因为它与以色列没有外交关系,而且它也不允许苏联的犹太人自由移民。

部分旅居美国地前古巴政治犯

Section Two: News in Detail

Israel's Prime Minister Shimon Peres is in Washington D. C. this week to confer with high-level US officials. His visit follows his summit with Egyptian President Mubarak last week. This afternoon, the Israeli leader and President Reagan met at the White House. NPR's Elizabeth Colton reports.

Israel's Peres comes to Washington only weeks before he is scheduled to step down from the Prime Minister's post and exchange roles with the current Foreign Minister, Yitzhak Shamir. This rotation was arranged two years ago as part of Israel's coalition national unity government. But what was expected to be little more than a farewell visit for Prime Minister Peres has now taken on a new importance because of Peres' recent achievements towards bringing peace between Israelis and Arabs. At the White House this afternoon President Reagan said that the Middle East peace process was the major topic for discussion. And he praised Prime Minister Peres' efforts in that direction. 

'We noted favorable trends in the Middle East, not just the longing for peace by the Israeli and Arab peoples, but constructive actions taken by leaders in the region to breathe new life into the peace process. No one has done more than Prime Minister Peres to that end. His vision, his statesmanship, and his tenacity are greatly appreciated here." President Reagan said that other items on the agenda of his meeting with Prime Minister Peres were American economic aid to Israel, international terrorism, and Soviet Jewry. The President assured the Israeli leader that the plight of Soviet Jewry will remain an important topic in all the talks between the US and the Soviets. I'm Elizabeth Colton in Washington. 

第二节 详细新闻 以色列总理西蒙佩雷斯访问华盛顿

以色列总理西蒙佩雷斯本周在华盛顿和高级别美国官员进行商谈。他的到访是在他上周与埃及总统穆巴拉克举行首脑会议之后。今天下午,以色列领导人与里根总统在白宫会面。全国公共电台伊丽莎白科尔顿报道。

以色列的佩雷斯来到华盛顿的几周前,他在计划辞去总理一职,由现任外长伊扎克沙米尔接任。这次轮换早在2年前由以色列民族团结政府安排已定。但预计获得的成果要比前来告别访问得佩雷斯总理最近取得的重要成果要多一些,因为佩雷斯最近的成就是在以色列人和阿拉伯人之间实现了和平。今天下午里根总统在白宫说,中东和平进程是讨论的主要议题。他称赞总理佩雷斯在这个方面做出的的努力。

“我们注意到中东地区的积极趋势,不仅仅是以色列和阿拉伯人民所渴望和平,也是这一地区域的领导人在和平进程中注入的新的活力和建设性活动。没有人做得比总理佩雷斯更多并接近最终目标。他的远见,他的领导能力,他的执着应该在这里受到高度赞赏。”里根总统说,他与总理佩雷斯的议程的其他议题是美国对以色列的经济援助,国际恐怖主义和苏联的犹太人等。总统向以色列领导人保证,苏联的犹太人的困境仍是美国和苏联之间重要的议题。我是伊丽莎白科尔顿在华盛顿报道。

(
Israel's Prime Minister Shimon Peres)

Section Three: Special Report

A chapbook arrived in the mail a while back from the Northeastern Ohio University's College of Medicine. The chapbook, a small pamphlet of collected poetry, contains works by students, part of the school's 'Human Values in Medicine" program. NPR's Susan Stenberg leafed through the poems.

The selected works by finalists in the “William Carlos Williams Poetry Competition,” named for America's great poet-physician, the New Jersey country doctor who used to scroll drafts of poems on pages of his prescription pads. William Carlos Williams wrote short, sometimes, and to the quick. 

This is just to say I have eaten the plums 

That were in the ice box,  

And which you were probably saving for breakfast.  

Forgive me; they were delicious, 

So sweet and so cold. 

"Let me read it again." 

And he did. William Carlos Williams, who died in 1963, has been an inspiration to patients and physicians. So, it's fitting that the Northeastern Ohio University's College of Medicine should name its poetry competition for him. Now, at the beginning of its fifth year, the competition is open to all medical students in this country, but just one percent of them, a few hundred or so, entered the competition.

"I'm sure a lot more are closet poets and aren't willing yet to submit. We hope they do." Martin Cohn, director of the Human Values in Medicine's program at the College of Medicine, says that students' poetry centers around several themes. “

“I guess it falls into categories that all poets write about, including lovers and friends and sorrowful kinds of situations, but then there is also the experience that they're most intimate with, which is medical school itself, which is also a theme, and also relationships with patients.”

Poetry by ten medical students is presented in the chapbook, accompanied by biographical notes on each of the poets. Kurt Beal, at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, describes himself this way.

"I write to remember, to find, to uncover, to unfold. I have learned that poetry is music. And I write because I cannot sing."

Martin Cohn has some samples of poems from the chapbook. P. C. Bowman of the Medical College of Virginia School of Medicine wrote "Cartographer about his Wife."

When I watch you watching yourselves in the mirror,

Undress not with caution but with care, 

Peeling the swimsuit from shoulders and breasts, 

Exposing the belly flat from its vortex to the ribs,

Ordered as architecture. The hip swell

That breaks my geometer's heart.

It is a map of some impossible country, 

Whose turns widen to vistas and stations

So sudden that I cannot breathe or comprehend

How I have wandered there and kept my life. 

"Wonderful poem."

"Ya."

"But he doesn't have to be a doctor to have written it."

"No. That's true."

"Give us one that could only be written by a doctor."

"OK. There is a poem, another one on anatomy, that was written by Diane Roston, who, as the other poets, has a very interesting background. She danced for a number of years in a regional company and also had taken courses in journalism. And she writes of an experience with a cadaver, and the life of this cadaver. And she ends the poem with the following verse.

Now student to anatomy. 

Cleave and mark this slab

Of thirty-one-year-old Caucasian female flesh,

Limbs, thorax, cranium, muscle by rigid muscle.

Disassemble this motorcycle victim's every part,

As if so gray a matter never wore a flashing ruby dress.

I notice there's so much of that in this poetry by the medical students, the reminders to themselves of humanity here. It's not just arteries; it's not just anatomy. There are humans."

"That's right. And we feel we're just trying to do our part to encourage them to remember. Many students shuck off the arts and humanities when they enter medical school, and even if we can keep them involved, even if it's a thread of involvement, or vicarious involvement by reading, not necessarily writing - that's what we are trying to do."

At the Northeastern Ohio University's College of Medicine, Martin Cohn says there's no evidence that the making of poetry produces better medicine, but he has to believe it helps the students understand themselves and their patients better. And so the William Carlos Williams Poetry Competition continues. I'm Susan Stanberg. 

第三节 特别报道

访问东北俄亥俄大学医学院计划主管马丁科恩——谈医学院学生的诗作

收到的一本诗集是从东北俄亥俄大学医学院的邮寄出来的。诗集是本小册子汇编的作品都是由学生创作的。这是学校的“医学人类价值计划”的一部分。全国公共广播电台苏珊斯滕伯格翻阅过这些诗歌。

作品是在威廉卡洛斯威廉姆斯诗歌比赛的决赛中选出的,比赛是以美国的伟大诗人医生,新泽西州乡村医生威廉卡洛斯威廉姆斯的名字命名的,他曾经用他的处方纸打草稿作诗,威廉卡洛斯威廉姆斯写过短诗,有时是快诗。

这只是说我吃了梅子

那些在冰盒里的,

你可以省来做早餐。

请原谅我,他们真香,

如此的甜蜜如此的凉。

让我读一遍吧。

他这样做了。威廉卡洛斯威廉斯,1963年去世,一直是病人和医生的激励者。因此,东北俄亥俄大学医学院以他的名字命名诗歌比赛是恰当的。现在已经是第五届了,比赛对这个国家所有医学院学生开放,但只有百分之一,有几百个左右的人参加比赛。

“我确信有更多的壁橱诗人(不发表自己作品的诗人),不愿意提交作品。我们希望他们参与。”医学院“医学人类价值”计划主管马丁科恩说,“学生们的诗歌只围绕着几个主题为中心。”

“我想对所有诗人所写内容进行分类,包括写恋人与朋友的,以及写各种哀伤情形的,但也有条经验,和他们最亲密相关的是医学院本身这样一个主题,还有写病患者关系的。”

小册子里现存10名医学院学生的诗歌,每个诗人都附有完整的自传。库特贝尔,在德克萨斯大学卫生科学中心休斯敦大学,他这样形容道。

“我写作是为了记忆,发现,发掘和展开。据我了解,诗是音乐。我写诗是因为我不会唱歌。”

马丁科恩已经得到小册子中的一些诗歌样本。包括弗吉尼亚医学院医学院的P.C.鲍曼写的“他妻子的绘图员。”

当我看着你在看着镜中的你自己,

脱衣时不靠谨慎而靠关切,

从肩膀和胸部褪下泳装,

露出平坦的肚子其旋涡直到肋骨,

有序的建筑。髋关节的隆起

破碎了我几何学家般的心。

好似一些不存在的国家地图,

他的风景和车站不断加宽

因此突然间我不能呼吸或思想

我多么的想知道如何生活在那里。

“好诗呀。”

“是的。”

“但他不一定非得是个医生才写出这样的诗。”

“是的,你说得对。”

“给我们推荐一首只有医生能写出的诗吧。”

“行,有首诗,另一首关于解剖的,这是由另一位有着很有趣的背景的丹尼罗斯通写下的。她在一个地方公司跳了好几年舞,也上过新闻课程。她写过和一具尸体打交道的经历,和这具尸体的生活。她用下面几句结束了全诗。

现在学生们来解剖

割开并标记这块板

是属于31岁高加索女人的血肉

四肢,胸部,头骨,僵硬的肌肉的肌肉

拆下这个摩托车祸受害者的各部分。

好似这具灰色的东西从来没有穿过一件闪亮的红宝石色的礼服。

我注意这首医学院学生写的诗里有非常多的那个,就是提醒他们自己这里面的人道问题。不仅是动脉,这不仅仅是解剖。他们是人。”

“正确。而且我们感觉我们只是尽我们的职责鼓励他们记住这点。许多学生进入医学院便把艺术和人道分裂开来,即使我们可以让他们参与,即使是一系列的参与,或由阅读来替代参与,没有必要的写作 - 这正是我们正在尝试做的。”

在东北俄亥俄大学医学院,马丁科恩称,没有证据表明,诗歌比药物能产生更好的效果,但他相信这能帮助学生更好地了解自己和他们的患者。所以威廉卡洛斯威廉斯诗歌比赛一直在继续。我是苏珊斯坦博格。

This is just to say I have eaten the plums

That were in the ice box

And which you were probably saving for breakfast.

Forgive me; they were delicious,

So sweet and so cold.

William Carlos Williams 1883-1963

Susan Stamberg host of NPR radio

[ 打印 ]
阅读 ()评论 (0)
评论
目前还没有任何评论
登录后才可评论.