游遍美国五十州

英语学习内容包括视译,交替传译和同声传译三部分
正文

英语高级听力 03 课 (译文及图片)

(2010-01-12 17:32:12) 下一个

Lesson Three

Section One: News in Brief

1. IBM, following the lead of General Motors, announced today it's pulling out of South Africa . Like General Motors, IBM says it's selling its South African holdings because of the political and economic situation there. Anti-apartheid groups have praised the decision, but the State Department says business pullouts are regrettable. Spokesman Charles Redmond said today the Reagan Administration believes US corporate involvement in South Africa has been a progressive force against apartheid. “We regret any decision to reduce US private sector involvement in South Africa . Such reductions could have harmful effects on black workers, injure the South African economy which has, on the whole, weakened the premises of apartheid and provided a means of improving the living standards and skills of many people otherwise disadvantaged by apartheid, and it might limit the extent of US influence in South Africa .” State Department spokesman Charles Redmond. IBM employs some 1,500 people in South Africa .

2. More than fifty black youths were arrested today in Harare , Zimbabwe , when police broke up demonstrations at South African offices and the US embassy. Julie Fredrick’s reports. "A group of more than a thousand students and youths caused thousands of dollars of damage by burning and stoning the offices of the South African trade mission, South African Airways, Air Malawi , and the Malawian High Commission. The demonstrators suspected South African complicity in the plane crash that killed Mozambiquan President Michel in South Africa and blamed Malawi for supporting the Pretoria-backed insurgents that are attacking Mozambique . Zimbabwean government officials appealed for calm, and a statement from Prime Minister Mugabe just back from a trip to London is expected tomorrow. For National Public Radio, this is Julie Fredricks in Harare .

3. President Reagan met for about an hour today with West German Chancellor Helmut Kohl at the White House. Kohl is the first European leader to visit the President since the Reykjavik summit. US officials say Kohl expressed support for the President's SDI program.

第一节 简明新闻

1. IBM 继通用机器 ( 公司 ) 之后,今天宣布将撤出南非 ( 市场 ) 。 IBM 说鉴于当地的政治经济形势,将效仿通用机器那样卖掉持有的南非股份。反种族隔离团体很欣赏这个决定,但国务院表示,对商业公司撤出感到遗憾。发言人查理瑞德蒙德说,今天,里根政府相信,美国公司在南非参与其中是反种族隔离的进步力量。“我们对任何减少在南非的美国私营部门(数量)的做法表示遗憾。这样的削减行为会导致对黑人工人造成有害的影响。危害到南非的经济,削弱种族隔离的主体,尽管在某种意义上可能会使隔离政策受害者的生活水平有所改善和多数人的技能得到提高。但会降低了美国在南非的影响的延伸。”国务院发言人查理瑞德蒙德这样说。 IBM 在南非雇有 1500 人。

2. 今天在津巴布韦的哈拉雷警察驱散了在南非办公室和美国大使馆前的示威游行,多达 50 名黑人青年被捕。朱莉福瑞德里克报道。一群人数超过 1 万的学生和青年点燃或石击了南非贸易部,南非航空公司,马拉维航空公司,马拉维高速通讯的办公室,造成数千美元的损失。示威者怀疑南非参与了发生在南非的杀害莫桑比克总统米歇尔的空难事件阴谋,同时指责马拉维支持“派特拉回归”(组织)的反叛者正在对莫桑比克发起的袭击。津巴布韦政府官方要求保持克制,一项来自总理穆加贝的声明说,(他)希望明天能从英国的行程中返回。全国公共广播电台朱莉福瑞德里克哈拉雷报道。

3. 里根总统今天在白宫与西德总理科尔会谈了将近一个小时。科尔是在雷克雅未克峰会之后会见总统的第一位欧洲国家领导人。美国官员说,科尔表示支持总统的 SDI 计划。

Robert Gabriel Mugabe, born in 1924, the current President of Zimbabwe. He has held power as Prime Minister from 1980 to 1987, and as the President of the state since 1987

Section Two: News in Detail

West German Chancellor Helmut Kohl is in Washington D.C. for four days of meetings. Among the issues on his agenda are economic relations with the US and Germany 's policy towards southern Africa . But today, Kohl's talk with President Reagan was dominated by the recent US-Soviet summit meeting in Iceland . NPR's Brenda Wilson reports.

While no major agreement was signed by the United States and the Soviet Union in Reykjavik , the two countries made progress in arms control talks in areas that are a central concern to America 's European allies. Those particular areas involve disarmament proposals made in Iceland , affecting medium-range missiles and long-range missiles over which allies have voiced some reservations. This was a major topic of discussion with Chancellor Kohl today, even though his Foreign Minister was briefed by the US Secretary of State only last week. In remarks welcoming Chancellor Kohl, President Reagan sounded a positive note, saying that there was ample reason for optimism. “When the next agreement is finally reached with the Soviet Union , and I say when, not if, it will not be the result of weakness or timidity on the part of Western nations. Instead, it will flow from our strength, realism and unity.” The President also explained that achieving such an agreement would depend upon pushing ahead with his Strategic Defense Initiative, SDI, because it offered protection against cheating. But members of NATO, including Germany , have expressed concern that eliminating medium-range missiles in Europe as was proposed in Reykjavik would potentially leave Europe vulnerable to the Soviet shorter-range missiles and greater superiority in conventional forces. They expressed doubts that SDI could make up for those deficiencies. The allies, in particular West Germany , want reductions in medium-range missiles tied to reductions in shorter-range missiles and conventional forces. Chancellor Kohl was expected to press these points and to urge President Reagan to compromise on SDI to keep talks between the US and the Soviets moving. Speaking through an interpreter in his arrival remarks, Kohl did not mention SDI, “It remains our goal, and I know that I shared with you, Mr. President, to create peace and security with ever fewer weapons. In Reykjavik , thanks to your serious and consistent efforts in pursuit of peace, a major step was taken in this direction. And we must now take the opportunities that present themselves without endangering our defensive capability.”

After the meeting between Kohl and the President, a senior administration official quoted Kohl as saying that he has always been in favor of the Strategic Defense system. At the White House, I'm Brenda Wilson.

(
President Reagan greets Soviet General Secretary Gorbachev at Hofdi House during the Reykjavik Summit, Iceland Oct.11 1986 (Source: Ronald Reagan Presidential Library) )

第二节 详细新闻 西德总理科尔访问华盛顿

西德总理海尔默特科尔正在首都华盛顿参加为期 4 天的会谈。会谈的议程包括与美国的经济关系,和德国对南非的政策。但今天,科尔和里根总统谈到最近美苏冰岛峰会,全国公共广播电台记者布莱恩达威尔森报道。

当美苏两国在雷克雅未克未签署主要协议时,两国在控制军备谈判领域取得的进展成为美国的欧洲盟国们关注的焦点,范围包括:在冰岛撤除军备计划;令人关注的一些盟国的呼声有所保留的中程导弹和远程导弹。这就是科尔总理今天会谈的主要议题,尽管上周美国国务卿简单地知会了他的外交部长。在欢迎科尔总理的致辞中,里根总统做了积极的表态,说到有大量的乐观的理由——当下一个协议与苏联最终达成时,我说的那一时刻不是假设的,那将不会是西方国家被削弱和怯懦的部分,相反的会充满着我们力量,现实主义和团结一致。总统还解释了达成这样的协议需要依靠他所推行的战略防御计划,简称 SDI 。因为它能提供保护而不是欺诈,但是北约成员国,包括德国在内均表示——关注的是在雷克雅未克会议上达到在欧洲消除中程导弹的目的,这将会潜在地使欧洲处于苏联的短程导弹和大规模常规武器的攻击之下。他们表示困惑的是 SDI 会造成这些不足,盟国,尤其是西德,希望削减中程导弹,试图削减短程导弹和常规武器。科尔总理向媒体表达了这些观点,并且迫切地要同里根总统就 SDI 达成共识,在美国与苏联之间保持对话。他通过口译员致欢迎辞时。科尔没有提到 SDI 。“他将保持我们的目的,而且我知道我将与你们共享,总统先生利用如此少的武器来建立和平与安全。感谢你在雷克雅未克的专注和一贯的追求和平的努力,在这个方向上迈出了主要的一步。现在我们必须抓住机会,表现出他们自己不会受到来自我们的防御能力的危险。”

科尔和总统的会见结束后,一位资深的政府工作人引用科尔的讲话,正如他说的他一贯地青睐于战略防御计划。白宫,我是布莱恩达威尔森

西德总理海尔默特科尔

Section Three: Special Report

A group of business leaders in Boston today announced plans to expand a college scholarship program to include any eligible Boston high school graduate. The business leaders announced plans for a permanent five-million dollar endowment fund, and they also promise to hire any of the students who go on to complete their college educations. Andrew Kaffery of member station WBUR has the report.

The Boston business community's involvement in the Boston public school dates back almost twenty years, from work internships to an endowment program for Boston teachers. Business has pumped more than one million dollars into the public schools. Now business leaders say they're ready to make their biggest commitment yet: a multi-million dollar scholarship program that will enable the city's poorest kids to go on to college and to jobs afterward. The program is called Action Center for Educational Services and Scholarships, or ACESS. According to Daniel Cheever, the President of Boston's Wheelock College , ACESS is not a blank check for the eligible graduates. "First we'll help them get as much aid as they can from other sources, and secondly, we'll provide the last dollar scholarship. I should add, of course, they have to qualify for financial aid; that is, we're not handing out money to students who don't need it." The average grant is around five hundred dollars and already the program has given one hundred Boston students more than fifty thousand dollars in scholarship money.

Other assistance from the program has helped those students raise more than six hundred thousand dollars in additional financial aid. School officials say them where 43% of the students live below the poverty level, and almost half who enter high school drop out. Robert Weaver was one Boston high school graduate who could not afford college. He's in the ACESS program now and will get a degree in airplane mechanics next year from the Wentworth Institute of Technology in Boston . “I got the Pale grant and the state scholarship, but there was still a gap. There was like a twenty-three hundred-dollar gap. Wentworth's total bill was fifty-seven hundred, so I had to fill that amount, with working over the summer, my family contribution. I paid for my own books, my own tools, things like that. But without ACESS I wouldn't be where I am today.”

This program comes at an important time for the city of Boston . Unemployment here is among the lowest in the nation and business leaders say they're having a hard time finding qualified job applicants. So the ACESS program is not just good public relations. Business leaders, like Edward Philips, who is the chairman of the ACESS program, say there's a bit of self-preservation involved. “Over time, we believe this program will increase the flow of Boston residents into Boston businesses and that, of course, is a self-serving opportunity. If where you are has a supply of qualified people to enter managerial and technical-professional level jobs, that can't be anything but a plus.” Philips says any scholarship student who finishes college will be given hiring priority over other job applicants by the participating businesses.

College student Robert Weaver says the program has inspired other high school students to stay in school. “I went back to my high school yesterday, Brighton High School , and I talked to a senior class, the general assembly, and I was telling them basically what I'm involved in, and basically, to get yourselves motivated and go look for those ACESS advisers. They're not going to come to you all the time. You have to get out there and get it if you want to take account for your own life, because no one else is going to do it for you. And that really pumped them up, and now that they're aware, and they know that ACESS advisers are there, things will be a lot easier for them.”

The business group is in the middle of a five-million-dollar fund drive. Two million dollars has already been collected. Thirty-two of Boston 's most influential corporations have already joined in, with twenty more soon to follow. The program has drawn the praise of US Education Secretary William Bennett, who predicted it will become a national model. For National Public Radio, I'm Andrew Kaffery in Boston .

第三节 特别报道 波士顿商业协会的“ 教育服务及奖学金行动中心”计划

一些商业领袖今天在波士顿宣布了一项向波士顿高中毕业生申请人追加的学院奖学金计划。商业领袖们宣布计划一项 500 万美元的捐赠基金。并且他们表示他们将资助任何想要完成大学教育的学生。(全国公共广播电台)所属电台 WBUR 安德烈卡夫瑞报道。

波士顿商业协会参与波士顿公立学校的实习生工作和波士顿教师捐赠基金计划可以追溯回大约 20 年。商会已经为公立学校注资超过 100 万美元。现在,商业界领导人表示他们准备作出他们的最大 承诺:那就是一项数百万美元的奖学金计划,使该市最贫穷的孩子能去上大学和然后找到工作。该计划被称为教育服务和奖学金行动中心,或“教服计划”。据,波士顿的维尔洛克学院院长丹尼尔奇弗说“教服计划”不是一个合格的毕业生空白支票。“首先,我们利用其他资源为他们提供尽可能多的援助,其次,我们将提供最后一美元的奖学金。我想补充一点,当然,他们得有资格获得财政援助,也就是说,我们没有把钱发给不需要它的学生。”助学金的平均金额约为 500 美元,该计划已经给 100 波士顿学生提供超过 5 万美元的奖学金。

其他来自这个计划的资助项目已经帮助那些学生将附加经济资助增加了 60 万美元。 学校官员说,他们有 43 %的学生生活在贫困线以下,几乎他们中有一半会在高中辍学。罗伯特韦弗波士顿是一个上不起大学的高中毕业生。他在“教服计划”资助下明年将从波士顿温特沃斯技术学院的飞机机械专业毕业。 “ 我得到了帕莱的补助和国家奖学金,但仍有不足。仍有 2300 美元的差距。在温特沃斯的总开支为 2700 美元,所以我不得不在今年夏天的工作和我的家的钱来补齐全部金额。 我买了自己的书,自己的工具等等。但是如果没有‘教服计划’ 我不会像今天这样。”

该计划的出台正值波士顿市重要的时刻。在座的失业率在全国最低的城市,商界领袖表示,他们很难找到合格的求职者。所以教服计划不仅创造了良好的公共关系。商界领袖,如爱德华飞利浦,“教服计划”的董事长说,这里面有一点的自我保护意识。 “随着时间的推移,我们相信这一计划将推动相当数量的波士顿居民参与波士顿商业活动,这当然是一个自助的机会。如果你有一批资格的人加入管理和专业技术领域的工作,这不是别的而绝对是一个加分。”飞利浦说,任何获得项奖学金的学生毕业后比其他应聘者的优先获得参与计划的企业的聘用。

大学生罗伯特韦弗说,该计划已经使得其他高中学生留在学校里(继续上学)。“ 昨天我回到我的高中,布莱顿中学,和高班同学进行交谈,就是一次普通的会面,我告诉他们我参加计划的大概情况,基本上使他们得到鼓励,去寻找‘教服计划’的 顾问。 他们不会随时随地来找你。你必须走出去并得到它,如果你想为你自己的生活取一个户头的话。因为没有人会为你做什么。那确实使他们热血沸腾,现在他们已经明白,他们知道‘教服计划’顾问那里,很多东西对他们来说更容易些。”

商业集团正进行一项 500 万美元基金的征募(计划)。 已经征集到 200 万美元。 三十二个波士顿最有影响力的公司已经加入进来,还有 20 多个正在跟进。该计划引起了美国教育部长威廉贝内特的称赞,他预计这将成为全国的典范。全国公共广播电台,我是安德鲁凯弗瑞在波士顿报道。

(波士顿温特沃斯技术学院,成立于1904年)

(Source: The homepage of Wentworth Institute of Technology )

[ 打印 ]
阅读 ()评论 (0)
评论
目前还没有任何评论
登录后才可评论.