我对写作的热情

来源: 2021-11-23 05:44:25 [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读:

刚刚看了女儿高中毕业前的一篇很随意的小短文,回忆她喜欢写作的一些经历。我快速用Google翻译了一下,发现挺有意思的。

===========================

我对写作的热情 

(2017-12)
    偶然发现我杂乱无章的房间,在办公椅上的一堆衣服中穿梭,推开旧版《国家地理》,找到我最珍贵的财产:一本日记。它是不起眼的:普通的、黑色的、精装的。但是翻开它,会看到它泛黄的页面,表明它的真实年龄和价值。
     第 1 页。污迹可以追溯到 2004 年。文字是一种可能无法阅读的语言:普通话。我的祖父制作了这些角色;他在我写字之前就抄录了我的话。在这里,我尝试用两种语言命名我的名字:来自一个业余左撇子的骨瘦如柴的字母,他会将小写“g”的曲线向后推,并努力形成正确的“ko”象形文字。我今天的生活方式与这里的写作所表明的大致相同,完全植根于两种文化。
    第 14 页。继续阅读并查看我的第一句话,这些页面充满了我在加拿大的童年。特别美好的回忆:和祖父一起捉蝴蝶。我捕捉到了一些标本的粗略草图,一个好奇的 8 岁孩子思考了一些问题:为什么蝴蝶会从腿上闻到气味?
     第 55 页。我成为了我自己想法的作者。这里有我的小说草稿,戏剧性地标题为黑暗的太阳,其中的女主人公琥珀,穿着飞鞋,拯救了世界免于全球变暖。它有 120 个打印页,有多个情节漏洞和欠发达的原型;我不能为自己感到骄傲。回首这个故事,我笑它的荒谬,但我对无畏和仁慈的琥珀心怀同样的敬佩。
     第 72 页。 看完这部震撼人心的电影《卢旺达饭店》后,我写了一篇自己的文章,专门讲述卢旺达种族灭绝的悲剧。我把它提交给了学术艺术和写作比赛,在那里它得到了全国的认可。这标志着我开始分享我的作品的第一步,这是我以前害怕的。这也标志着我开始致力于撰写社会问题——将我的话传播到世界上,为一项事业服务。
     第 90 页。我现在有了自己的声音,风格绝对是我自己。我发现我有捕捉细节的诀窍,而且我是一个完美结局的狂热追求者。我也从创作小说创作到非小说创作。这是我最引以为豪的作品之一,详细介绍了一项名为 The Texas Turtle 的发明,这是一种移动房屋和休斯顿无家可归者的解决方案;它是由我的朋友乔治提出的,乔治是我在做一个关于这个问题的项目时采访过的一个以前无家可归的人。友好、健谈、有点古怪,乔治和他的热情(从昆虫学到科幻小说)教会我无家可归是一个比我们所知的更多样化的问题,我们必须使无家可归者背后的面孔人性化。我怀着这样的认识写作,希望我的话能反映乔治的独特想法和我自己的信念。
     我的日记到此结束,但我的热情仍在其他场所和笔记本中继续。现在,我不再把我的文字埋在房间的深渊里,而是与世界分享我的话。我发表了我的非小说作品,以解决休斯顿当地文化的丧失,并与我的朋友分享我最疯狂的故事。以祖父为榜样,父亲将我的作品翻译成国语分享给老家西安的亲友,让我的文字有了只能用语言表达的语气。
     想法经常出现,但它们总是稍纵即逝。我选择通过写作来追寻他们,这给了我一个表达想法的出口,也给了一个曾经害羞的女孩一个声音。我的日记是对我是谁以及我长大后成为谁的多样化表现,但它只是对我是谁的介绍。
    请稍等,因为我还有很多话要说。

My Passion for the Writings
(2017-12)
    Stumble upon my chaotic room, navigate through the pile of clothing on the office chair, and push aside aged copies of National Geographic to find my most prized possession: a journal. It is nondescript: plain, black, hardcover. But flip it open and see its yellowing pages, indications of its true age and value.
     Page 1. The smudged ink dates back to 2004. The words are in a language perhaps unreadable: Mandarin. My grandfather crafted these characters; he transcribed my words before I could write. Here, I attempted my name in both languages: scrawny letters from an amateur left-hander who would get the curve of the lowercase “g” backward and struggle to form the proper “ko” pictogram. I live today in much the same way as the writing here indicates, fully rooted in both cultures.
    Page 14. Keep reading and see my first sentences, pages filled with my childhood in Canada. A particularly fond memory: catching butterflies with my grandfather. There are rough sketches of specimens I captured, with questions pondered by a curious eight-year-old: Why does a butterfly smell through its legs?
     Page 55. I became an author of my own ideas. Here exist the draftings of my novel, dramatically titled Dark Sun, whose heroine, Amber, wore flying shoes and saved the world from global warming. At 120 typed pages, it had multiple plot holes and poorly-developed archetypes; I couldn’t have been prouder of myself. Looking back at this story, I laugh at its absurdity, though I hold the same admiration for the fearless and benevolent Amber.
     Page 72. After watching the powerful movie Hotel Rwanda, I wrote a piece of my own, carefully dedicated to the tragedies of the Rwandan genocide. I submitted it into the Scholastic Art and Writing Competition, where it was recognized nationally. This marked my first step in sharing my work, something I’d been afraid of before. It also signaled the beginning of my commitment to writing about social issues—to sending my words out into the world in the service of a cause.
     Page 90. I had a voice now, in a style that is decidedly me. I discovered that I have a knack for capturing detail and that I’m an avid pursuer of a perfect ending. I branched from writing creative fiction to non-fiction, as well. Here is one of my proudest works, detailing an invention called The Texas Turtle, a mobile home and solution to homelessness in Houston; it was proposed by my friend George, a previously homeless man I interviewed while doing a project on the issue. Friendly, talkative, and a tad eccentric, George and his passions (ranging from entomology to science fiction) taught me that homelessness is a more diverse issue than we know and that we must humanize the faces behind the homeless population. I wrote with that realization, hoping my words would reflect George’s unique ideas and my own convictions.
     My journal ends here, but my passion continues into other venues and notebooks. Now, instead of burying my writing in the abyss of my room, I share my words with the world. I publish my non-fiction pieces tackling the loss of local culture in Houston and share my craziest stories with my friends. Following my grandfather’s example, my dad translates my writings into Mandarin to share with relatives and friends from my hometown in Xi’an, giving my words a tone that can only be conveyed through language.
     Ideas come often, but they are constantly fleeting. I choose to pursue them through writing, which has given me an outlet for expressing my thoughts and a voice for a once-shy girl. My journal is a diverse representation of who I was and who I am growing up to be, but it is just a mere introduction to who I am.     
    Just wait, because I have plenty more to say.