Kalalau Trail 是非常危险的 TRAIL 尤其是其crawler's ledge那一段 -- 当然高风险高回报

来源: 绿野 2019-03-08 22:41:14 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (4719 bytes)
回答: 夏威夷花园可爱岛二月行忙里偷闲上网玩2019-03-07 20:24:19
Re: How "scary" are the cliff ledges on the Kalalau trail?
Scary? Depends on psychological factors. While "crawler's ledge" is often said to be the scariest part of the hike, it is only scary if you have a pathological fear of heights since there is no vegetation and you can look straight down. It is not, however dangerous even when raining and wet since it is for the most part solid and you don't have to worry about slipping due to muddy conditions.

Having said that, just before getting to "crawler's ledge" is a section of switchbacks that can be very treacherous if it has been raining heavily and the trail is muddy. It may not look scary but you definitely don't want to slip as you can get seriously injured or die.

Perhaps a worse spot which is both scary and dangerous is about a mile past "crawler's ledge" where there can be a very narrow passage with loose dirt where if you slip, you would surely die. Sometimes it is worse than others since the state rarely maintains

that part of the trail. There was a guy named, Bill, retired military who lived out at 8 mile camp for a couple years, volunteering his time to maintain the trail free of charge. He is likely responsible for saving many lives as he would get his shovel and clear the path that was covered with loose dirt that otherwise would be very difficult to cross. So what happened to Bill? The state arrested him twice for being out there without a permit and he left a couple years ago. Since he left, that section has been largely not maintained. Let no good deed go unpunished.

Finally let me say that I have hiked the 11 mile stretch literally hundreds of times over the past 35 years and have seen children as young as 5 hike the entire trail with their family. In 1996 I saw a woman, 8 months pregnant hike the trail who gave birth in Kalalau. In addition to her newborn son, she had three girls (Faith 3, Joy 8 and Hope 12). Amazingly the 3 year old Faith hiked the whole trail on her own two feet except for stream crossings.

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!