米奇-麦康奈尔今天的的演讲全文(中英文)。

来源: wwni60 2021-01-06 13:03:56 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (20106 bytes)

下面是米奇-麦康奈尔的演讲全文。

我们正在辩论一个美国历史上从未有过的步骤 国会是否应该推翻选民的意见,推翻总统选举。我在参议院服务了36年。这将是我投过的最重要的一票。特朗普总统声称选举被盗。这些说法从具体的地方指控到宪法论点再到广泛的阴谋论。

我支持总统使用法律制度的权利。数十起诉讼在我国各地的法庭上接受了听证会,但法院一次又一次地拒绝了这些要求,包括总统本人提名的全明星法官。

我们知道的每一次选举都有一些非法和违规的特点,当然这是不可接受的。我支持强有力的国家主导的投票改革。去年诡异的大流行(COVID-19)程序决不能成为新的常态,但我的同事们在我们面前没有任何东西证明非法性在任何地方接近大规模的规模,大规模的规模会使整个选举倾斜,也不能仅凭公众的怀疑来证明在没有任何证据的情况下煽动怀疑本身时的激进突破。

宪法赋予我们这里国会的作用是有限的。我們不能簡單地宣稱自己是全國性的選舉委員會。選民、法院和各州都已經說過了。他们都已经说过了。如果我们否决他们,就会永远损害我们的共和国。这次选举其实并不是异常的接近。

就在最近的历史上,1976年、2000年和2004年都比这次更接近。选举团的差额和2016年的差额几乎一样。如果这次选举仅仅因为败选方的指控而被推翻,我们的民主就会进入死亡漩涡。我们将永远不会再看到全国人民接受选举。每四年一次的选举将是不惜代价的权力争夺。

我們這邊大部分人多年來一直在維護的選舉團將不復存在,使我們的許多州在選擇總統時根本沒有真正的發言權。其影响甚至会超出选举本身。我的同事们,自治需要共同致力于真理,共同尊重我们制度的基本规则。

我们不能继续分崩离析,变成两个不同的部落,有不同的事实和不同的现实,除了对彼此的敌意和对我们仍然共享的少数国家机构的不信任,我们没有任何共同点。

在过去的30年里,每一次,每一次民主党人失去了总统选举,他们都试图像这样挑战。2000年之后,2004年之后,2016年之后。2004年之后,有参议员加入并强行进行了同样的辩论,不管你信不信,哈里-里德、迪克-德宾和希拉里-克林顿等民主党人都对这一噱头表示赞许、赞扬和鼓掌。共和党人当时谴责了那些毫无根据的努力,而我们刚刚花了四年时间谴责民主党人对特朗普总统本人选举有效性的可耻攻击。

所以,你看,不能有双重标准。今天被激怒的媒体在民主党人输了之后,花了四年时间协助和教唆民主党人对我们的机构进行攻击.但我们决不能模仿和升级我们所否定的东西。我们的职责是为公共利益而治理。美国参议院有更高的使命,而不是无休止的党派复仇螺旋。国会要么凌驾于选民之上,否决选民、州和法院,这是有史以来第一次,要么尊重人民的决定。

我们要么保证民主党人在2016年后的委曲求全成为双方永久的新套路,要么宣布我们的国家应该得到比这更好的待遇。我们要么加速走上一条只有选举胜利者才真正接受选举结果的毒路,要么表明我们仍然可以拿出我们的先辈们不仅在胜利中而且在失败中表现出的爱国勇气。

制宪者建立参议院是为了阻止短期的激情沸腾,融化我们共和国的基础。所以我认为保护我们的宪法秩序需要尊重我们自身权力的限制。剥夺美国选民的投票权 并在这个极其薄弱的基础上否决法院和各州的权力 是不公平和错误的。我不会假装这样的投票是一种无害的抗议姿态,同时依靠他人做正确的事情。我将投票尊重人民的决定,并捍卫我们的政府系统,因为我们知道它。

Mitch McConnell's full speech below:

We're debating a step that has never been taken in American history, whether congress should overrule the voters and overturn a presidential election. I've served 36 years in the Senate. This will be the most important vote I've ever cast. President Trump claims the election was stolen. The assertions range from specific local allegations to constitutional arguments to sweeping conspiracy theories.

I supported the president's right to use the legal system. Dozens of lawsuits received hearings in courtrooms all across our country, but over and over, the courts rejected these claims, including all-star judges whom the president himself has nominated.

Every election we know features some illegality and irregularity, and of course that's unacceptable. I support strong state-led voting reforms. Last year's bizarre pandemic procedures must not become the new norm, but my colleagues nothing before us proves illegality anywhere near the massive scale, the massive scale that would have tipped the entire election nor can public doubt alone justify a radical break when the doubt itself was incited without any evidence.

The Constitution gives us here in Congress a limited role. We cannot simply declare ourselves a national board of elections on steroids. The voters, the courts, and the states have all spoken. They've all spoken. If we overrule them, it would damage our republic forever. This election actually was not unusually close.

Just in recent history, 1976, 2000, and 2004 were all closer than this one. The Electoral College margin is almost identical to what it was in 2016. If this election were overturned by mere allegations from the losing side, our democracy would enter a death spiral. We would never see the whole nation accept an election again. Every four years would be a scramble for power at any cost.

The Electoral College, which most of us on this side have been defending for years, would cease to exist, leaving many of our states with no real say at all in choosing a president. The effects would go even beyond the elections themselves. Self-government, my colleagues, requires a shared commitment to the truth and a shared respect for the ground rules of our system.

We cannot keep drifting apart into two separate tribes with a separate set of facts and separate realities. with nothing in common except our hostility towards each other and mistrust for the few national institutions that we all still share.

Every time, every time in the last 30 years that democrats have lost a presidential race, they have tried to challenge just like this. After 2000, after 2004, after 2016. After 2004, a senator joined and forced the same debate, and believe it or not, democrats like Harry Reid, Dick Durbin, and Hillary Clinton praised, praised and applauded the stunt. Republicans condemned those baseless efforts back then, and we just spent four years condemning democrats' shameful attacks on the validity of President Trump's own election.

So look, there can be no double standard. The media that is outraged today spent four years aiding and abetting democrats' attacks on our institutions after they lost. but we must not imitate and escalate what we repudiate. Our duty is to govern for the public good. The United States Senate has a higher calling than an endless spiral of partisan vengeance. Congress will either override the voters, overrule them, the voters, the states, and the courts for the first time ever, or honor the people's decision.

We'll either guarantee democrats' delegitimizing efforts after 2016 become a permanent new routine for both sides or declare that our nation deserves a lot better than this. We'll either hasten down a poisonous path where only the winners of an election actually accept the results or show we can still muster the patriotic courage that our forebears showed not only in victory but in defeat.

The framers built the senate to stop short-term passions from boiling over and melting the foundations of our republic. So I believe protecting our constitutional order requires respecting the limits of our own power. It would be unfair and wrong to disenfranchise american voters and overrule the courts and the states on this extraordinarily thin basis. And I will not pretend such a vote would be a harmless protest gesture while relying on others to do the right thing. I will vote to respect the people's decision and defend our system of government as we know it.

所有跟帖: 

用DeepL翻译的, 以英文为准。 -wwni60- 给 wwni60 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/06/2021 postreply 13:11:05

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”