Twitter helped Trump's campaign triumph, so we'd better get used

来源: mobileuser 2016-12-06 17:05:10 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (135887 bytes)

Twitter helped Trump's campaign triumph, so we'd better get used to government by 140 characters. And if the press and political elite hate it, then tough Twitty!

‘Twitter helped win me the election,’ President-elect Donald Trump told me when we spoke two weeks ago.

He cited his extraordinary army of 16 million followers on the social media platform as one reason (he has almost as many on Facebook). Each follower represented a potential voter he could talk to directly on a daily, or hourly basis – in exactly the way he wanted.

The second reason, he said, was his ability to set the news cycle for a day with one solitary tweet.

He particularly loved the fact, as a businessman, that it costs him absolutely nothing; Twitter is the ultimate marketing tool.

Since the election, Trump has continued to set America ablaze with his tweets; from his calls for the musical Hamilton to be boycotted and flag-burning to be criminalised, to his angry attacks on Saturday Night Live, defense of his contentious phone call with Taiwan, and mockery of China’s hypocrisy.

Donald Trump, seen here over the weekend, told me shortly after the election that Twitter helped him win and that it is brilliant as it is free

Donald Trump, seen here over the weekend, told me shortly after the election that Twitter helped him win and that it is brilliant as it is free

Since the election, Trump has continued to Tweet away. He's called for Hamilton to be boycotted and flag-burning to be criminalised, and every time the same 10-part pattern unfolds and the whole thing starts again.

Since the election, Trump has continued to Tweet away. He's called for Hamilton to be boycotted and flag-burning to be criminalised, and every time the same 10-part pattern unfolds and the whole thing starts again.

Each episode followed a familiar 10-part pattern:

1) Trump posts an inflammatory, highly opinionated tweet.

2) The media goes nuts.

3) Trump’s tweet then dominates the news all day.

4) The media demands he stops tweeting because it’s ‘un-presidential.’

5) Trump ignores them.

6) Conventional politicians demand he stops tweeting because it’s un-presidential.’

7) Trump ignores them too.

8) Trump wakes up next morning to every paper and cable news show talking about his tweet.

9) Trump chuckles to himself.

10) Trump tweets again.

Repeat.

Over the weekend again attacked SNL. It's shocking just how dumb the American media has been letting Trumpplay them

Over the weekend again attacked SNL. It's shocking just how dumb the American media has been letting Trumpplay them

SNL takes aim at Donald Trump's love of Twitter

Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
0:00
Previous
Play
Skip
Mute

Current Time0:00
/
Duration Time1:20
Fullscreen
Need Text

As someone who also loves Twitter and has also been known to stir the pot with incendiary tweets to gain attention (‘We do it the same way!’ Trump chuckled on our phone call), I am in awe of his absolute mastery of the medium.

I’m also flabbergasted at just how dumb much of the American media has been, and continues to be, in letting Trump play them in such an obvious way.

Every time they throw their high-minded journalistic toys out of their strollers at one of his tweets, Trump wins.

His brand thrives on the oxygen of TV coverage, newspaper headlines and the media’s faux outrage.

It always has.

And he sees absolutely no reason to stop now just because he’s about to become President of the United States.

In fact, the more these pompous New York and Washington elites, and celebrities still weeping over their beloved Hillary’s loss, all scream at him to stop and be ‘more presidential’, the more he tweets.

‘Why should I listen to any of them?’ he asks himself, ‘when I won by ignoring their advice throughout the election?’

I couldn’t agree more.

All this guff about Trump’s tweets being ‘un-presidential’ is precisely that: guff. (Note to my American friends: ‘Guff’ is an 18th Century English word denoting a whiff of a bad smell, in the context of someone spouting ‘foolish talk’.)

The whole point of Trump’s tweets is that they are as far removed as humanly possible from the way any ‘normal’ president or politician would ever speak in public.

All this foolish talk about Trump’s tweets being ‘un-presidential’ is ridiculous. The whole point of Trump’s tweets is that they are  far removed  from the way any ‘normal’ president or politician would ever speak in public. They’re brash, direct, funny and occasionally breathtakingly rude

All this foolish talk about Trump’s tweets being ‘un-presidential’ is ridiculous. The whole point of Trump’s tweets is that they are far removed from the way any ‘normal’ president or politician would ever speak in public. They’re brash, direct, funny and occasionally breathtakingly rude

They’re brash, direct, funny, abrasive, confrontational, and occasionally breathtakingly rude and offensive.

In other words, they’re utterly authentic. That’s exactly what Trump is like in real life. He is, therefore, simply being himself.

Contrast this with the incredibly boring, politically correct tweets posted by 99% of politicians around the world, all carefully crafted to cause zero, potentially vote-losing offence to anyone.

Trump doesn’t give a monkey’s cuss about causing offence. He calls it as he sees it.

His tweets are also beautifully constructed for maximum impact.

Love him or hate him, there’s nobody else in the world more skilled at launching a devastating 140-character missile into cyberspace than Donald Trump.

Which is no mean feat given he’s a 70-year-old man who doesn’t even use a computer.

If you follow Trump’s Twitter feed as assiduously as I do (it’s a two-way street, I’m one of only 41 accounts that Trump himself follows back) then you can’t help but be impressed by his output.

Corey Lewandowski, Trump’s campaign manager for much of the race, told me recently he believed his old boss had three dominant virtues which enabled him to win: a) Utter fearlessness b) Huge stamina c) Ruthless competitiveness.

The same trifecta of traits can be seen in his tweeting.

Trump goes after everyone from John McCain to the Pope. He doesn’t care who it is; if they whack him, he’ll whack them back twice as hard.

He never seems to sleep, sometimes tweeting at midnight, 3am and 6am.

And demonstrably, he’s absurdly competitive.

Trump’s tweets are strictly for winners, not losers.

Every word is thumped out with a punch of defiance and aggression.

Not for Trump the niceties of dancing like a butterfly, like his boxing hero Muhammad Ali. For him, it’s all about stinging like a bee.

It’s a pugilistic style that thrills his fans, enrages his enemies and baffles his opponents into paralysed impotence.

Hillary Clinton tried to match Trump tweet-for-tweet during the election when she realised she was being out-gunned but her tweets, the personal ones signed by ‘H’, were woefully dull, worthy and uninspiring

Hillary Clinton tried to match Trump tweet-for-tweet during the election when she realised she was being out-gunned but her tweets, the personal ones signed by ‘H’, were woefully dull, worthy and uninspiring

Hillary Clinton tried to match Trump tweet-for-tweet during the election when she realised she was being out-gunned on social media.

But her tweets, the personal ones signed by ‘H’, were, by comparison, woefully dull, worthy and uninspiring.

The marked contrast between the shackled ghost of Washington past and the unshackled ghost of Washington future was glaring.

Trump dispatched his 17 rivals for the Republican nomination in similar fashion, using Twitter as a persistently savage stick to point out their flaws, goad them into inappropriate responses and big up his own credentials for president.

He destroyed them all.

For the past 18 months, Trump has led us all on a merry Twitter dance.

It hasn’t always been pretty, it’s sometimes been unacceptable, but it has also been staggeringly successful.

In the process, he’s become the first US political figure (I can’t bring myself to ever call Trump a politician) to use social media as a dynamic, vote-winning, rival-defeating, rampaging, 24/7 battering ram that commands attention, airwaves and headlines on an unprecedented scale.

More importantly, it enables him to keep up a constant dialogue with millions of supporters who think he’s talking directly to them.

It’s hard to imagine a more powerful weapon for anyone in high office.

So my message to President-elect Trump is simple: carry on tweeting, don’t change your style, and continue to infuriate your mainstream haters.

This is exactly why you got elected. 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4002066/PIERS-MORGAN-Twitter-helped-Trump-s-campaign-triumph-d-better-used-government-140-characters-press-political-elite-hate-tough-Twitty.html#ixzz4S6sK6phr 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

‘Twitter helped win me the election,’ President-elect Donald Trump told me when we spoke two weeks ago.

He cited his extraordinary army of 16 million followers on the social media platform as one reason (he has almost as many on Facebook). Each follower represented a potential voter he could talk to directly on a daily, or hourly basis – in exactly the way he wanted.

The second reason, he said, was his ability to set the news cycle for a day with one solitary tweet.

He particularly loved the fact, as a businessman, that it costs him absolutely nothing; Twitter is the ultimate marketing tool.

Since the election, Trump has continued to set America ablaze with his tweets; from his calls for the musical Hamilton to be boycotted and flag-burning to be criminalised, to his angry attacks on Saturday Night Live, defense of his contentious phone call with Taiwan, and mockery of China’s hypocrisy.

Each episode followed a familiar 10-part pattern:

1) Trump posts an inflammatory, highly opinionated tweet.

2) The media goes nuts.

3) Trump’s tweet then dominates the news all day.

4) The media demands he stops tweeting because it’s ‘un-presidential.’

5) Trump ignores them.

6) Conventional politicians demand he stops tweeting because it’s un-presidential.’

7) Trump ignores them too.

8) Trump wakes up next morning to every paper and cable news show talking about his tweet.

9) Trump chuckles to himself.

10) Trump tweets again.

Repeat.

SNL takes aim at Donald Trump's love of Twitter

Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
0:00
Previous
Play
Skip
Mute

Current Time0:00
/
Duration Time1:20
Fullscreen
Need Text

As someone who also loves Twitter and has also been known to stir the pot with incendiary tweets to gain attention (‘We do it the same way!’ Trump chuckled on our phone call), I am in awe of his absolute mastery of the medium.

I’m also flabbergasted at just how dumb much of the American media has been, and continues to be, in letting Trump play them in such an obvious way.

Every time they throw their high-minded journalistic toys out of their strollers at one of his tweets, Trump wins.

His brand thrives on the oxygen of TV coverage, newspaper headlines and the media’s faux outrage.

It always has.

And he sees absolutely no reason to stop now just because he’s about to become President of the United States.

In fact, the more these pompous New York and Washington elites, and celebrities still weeping over their beloved Hillary’s loss, all scream at him to stop and be ‘more presidential’, the more he tweets.

‘Why should I listen to any of them?’ he asks himself, ‘when I won by ignoring their advice throughout the election?’

I couldn’t agree more.

All this guff about Trump’s tweets being ‘un-presidential’ is precisely that: guff. (Note to my American friends: ‘Guff’ is an 18th Century English word denoting a whiff of a bad smell, in the context of someone spouting ‘foolish talk’.)

The whole point of Trump’s tweets is that they are as far removed as humanly possible from the way any ‘normal’ president or politician would ever speak in public.

All this foolish talk about Trump’s tweets being ‘un-presidential’ is ridiculous. The whole point of Trump’s tweets is that they are  far removed  from the way any ‘normal’ president or politician would ever speak in public. They’re brash, direct, funny and occasionally breathtakingly rude

All this foolish talk about Trump’s tweets being ‘un-presidential’ is ridiculous. The whole point of Trump’s tweets is that they are far removed from the way any ‘normal’ president or politician would ever speak in public. They’re brash, direct, funny and occasionally breathtakingly rude

They’re brash, direct, funny, abrasive, confrontational, and occasionally breathtakingly rude and offensive.

In other words, they’re utterly authentic. That’s exactly what Trump is like in real life. He is, therefore, simply being himself.

Contrast this with the incredibly boring, politically correct tweets posted by 99% of politicians around the world, all carefully crafted to cause zero, potentially vote-losing offence to anyone.

Trump doesn’t give a monkey’s cuss about causing offence. He calls it as he sees it.

His tweets are also beautifully constructed for maximum impact.

Love him or hate him, there’s nobody else in the world more skilled at launching a devastating 140-character missile into cyberspace than Donald Trump.

Which is no mean feat given he’s a 70-year-old man who doesn’t even use a computer.

If you follow Trump’s Twitter feed as assiduously as I do (it’s a two-way street, I’m one of only 41 accounts that Trump himself follows back) then you can’t help but be impressed by his output.

Corey Lewandowski, Trump’s campaign manager for much of the race, told me recently he believed his old boss had three dominant virtues which enabled him to win: a) Utter fearlessness b) Huge stamina c) Ruthless competitiveness.

The same trifecta of traits can be seen in his tweeting.

Trump goes after everyone from John McCain to the Pope. He doesn’t care who it is; if they whack him, he’ll whack them back twice as hard.

He never seems to sleep, sometimes tweeting at midnight, 3am and 6am.

And demonstrably, he’s absurdly competitive.

Trump’s tweets are strictly for winners, not losers.

Every word is thumped out with a punch of defiance and aggression.

Not for Trump the niceties of dancing like a butterfly, like his boxing hero Muhammad Ali. For him, it’s all about stinging like a bee.

It’s a pugilistic style that thrills his fans, enrages his enemies and baffles his opponents into paralysed impotence.

Hillary Clinton tried to match Trump tweet-for-tweet during the election when she realised she was being out-gunned on social media.

But her tweets, the personal ones signed by ‘H’, were, by comparison, woefully dull, worthy and uninspiring.

The marked contrast between the shackled ghost of Washington past and the unshackled ghost of Washington future was glaring.

Trump dispatched his 17 rivals for the Republican nomination in similar fashion, using Twitter as a persistently savage stick to point out their flaws, goad them into inappropriate responses and big up his own credentials for president.

He destroyed them all.

For the past 18 months, Trump has led us all on a merry Twitter dance.

It hasn’t always been pretty, it’s sometimes been unacceptable, but it has also been staggeringly successful.

In the process, he’s become the first US political figure (I can’t bring myself to ever call Trump a politician) to use social media as a dynamic, vote-winning, rival-defeating, rampaging, 24/7 battering ram that commands attention, airwaves and headlines on an unprecedented scale.

More importantly, it enables him to keep up a constant dialogue with millions of supporters who think he’s talking directly to them.

It’s hard to imagine a more powerful weapon for anyone in high office.

So my message to President-elect Trump is simple: carry on tweeting, don’t change your style, and continue to infuriate your mainstream haters.

This is exactly why you got elected. 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4002066/PIERS-MORGAN-Twitter-helped-Trump-s-campaign-triumph-d-better-used-government-140-characters-press-political-elite-hate-tough-Twitty.html#ixzz4S6sK6phr 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”