又一例,这老头穿的是Salvation Army买的旧衣服,却捐出2Million给教育机构。

来源: 色大胆小 2009-10-07 11:23:57 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 0 次 (2109 bytes)

(CBS) At a ceremonial dinner at New Jersey’s St. Augustine College Preparatory School, everyone complied with the dress request for coat and tie.

Everyone but Paul Navone.

Navone, 78, showed up in a sweater he’d bought at the Salvation Army for $3.

"Everything I had on was from a thrift shop. As it is where I'm sitting right here now," Navone says.

Fact is, this frugal retired factory worker would never spend money on new clothes, vacation or swanky meals. Really. The only reason he came to this dinner honoring the school's rich new benefactor -- is because he is the school's rich new benefactor.

So begins the story of the unlikely philanthropist.

Navone was born dirt poor and never made more than $11 an hour. He put in 50 years at the glass factories in Millville, New Jersey, working all the overtime he could get.

“I saved. Why would I go home?” Navone asked CBS News correspondent Steve Hartman. “I didn’t have a life.”

He didn’t have a wife or children or a phone or a television. All of which are reasons he was able to save most of his paycheck and let it grow.

"Different people have asked me, 'What were you saving for?' Really, never in my life did I save for a specific purpose," says Navone.

Until, at 78, he finally gave it some thought. He drove over to the local Catholic high school where they were trying to raise money for a swimming pool - and made a huge splash.

The reaction, says Navone, was total amazement.

As a result of all the compounding interest, Navone was able to donate a million dollars for what is now the Navone Pool.

He also gave another million dollars to Cumberland County College for their new nursing education program.

Paul says that it feels good to be rid of those savings -- perhaps because after all these years he figured out what he'd been saving for.

“What I invested in is enriching people’s lives,” says Navone.

所有跟帖: 

茶党虽然没去建鸟巢,可 -仨饱一倒- 给 仨饱一倒 发送悄悄话 仨饱一倒 的博客首页 (20 bytes) () 10/07/2009 postreply 11:35:37

你是一只小小鸟? -Teaparty- 给 Teaparty 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/07/2009 postreply 11:45:16

Why do you care--He 一只小小鸟? ;) -iammadaboutu- 给 iammadaboutu 发送悄悄话 iammadaboutu 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/07/2009 postreply 12:02:38

严肃点 ;) -仨饱一倒- 给 仨饱一倒 发送悄悄话 仨饱一倒 的博客首页 (32 bytes) () 10/07/2009 postreply 12:08:42

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”