Thoughts on James Kim's Tragedy - Lessons to be learned

来源: Lvtotravel 2006-12-07 09:40:03 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (4249 bytes)
Reading this deion, I cannot help but want to comment that this tragedy is very sad, but very very avoidable - should one has proper planning and has COMMON SENSE, as well as respect the force of Nature.

Judging there are many folks ask questions about How to go from XXX to YYY, etc etc and some ask about driving from LA to SEA in Winter time ... I have the feeling these folks dont even look at their Maps carefully before thinking about a trip.

I hope this sad tragedy could finally make such folks to be more aware ...

<>

It seems Kim does not pay enough attn to the geographic info of the area and totally ignore the weather.

Dont knwo which map they used. But my good old AAA map clearly indicated, State Hwy 42 is at Exit 119 on I-5. If they missed it, the best way is to turn around and rejoin it, instead of travelling 58 miles South at Exit 61 to take Local/Forest Road 23 - this is indicated in dark gray color on the map - AND there is IN RED marking Closed in Winter, right at the section after Bear Camp Summit where they got into trouble.

Anyone has any common sense would KNOW, in Winter time, you stay on Interstate and Principal Roads - as only these roads will be plowed and will constantly have traffic. "Gray Roads" are not travelled in Winter time, as most people know better - no snow plowing, no traffic, no one would ever see you if you got into trouble ...

Also, on the map it tells you the elevation of the mountain passes ....

All the information is right there, on a very basic PRINTED MAP.

<>

I cannot understand why they would push up when it should not take long (may be 10-20 miles) one would notice the narrowness and windingness of the road - again, from my AAA map, 12-13 miles after I-5 exit, Route 23 becomes quite winding - they would pass a very small town called Galice (probably deserted in the Winter), the road becomes extremely winding - if one can see the windingness on the Map, it would be EXTREMELY winding when you are on it. He should have turned back right there ...

The other garing mistake is, he does not seem to even have a full tank of Gas... Even in the Summer time, you dont drive Local/Forest Road without a full tank of gas....

No one will see them no matter where they stop - as anyone with any common sense, would not take such roads in Winter time, especially it is already AFTER a few weeks of snow, for Goodness Sake.

Finally, the best way to get out of this bad situation is TO STAY WITH YOUR CAR/PLANE WRECKAGE ... instead of walking around to look for help - A car or a plane wreckage is much easier to spot from the air than a tiny object of a human, in the thick of a forest - from the aerial picture, their car and the forest Road 23, is clearly seen - but there is NO WAY he could be spotted on the ground, deep in the forest.

It is a very very sad tragedy - but yet, it is so avoidable - you dont even need to have much wilderness survival training - just PLAIN OLD COMMON SENSE, and READ YOUR MAP, UNDERSTAND WHAT THE MAP TELL YOU - there is a readon why different classes of roads are displayed with different colors - and there is a readon why Road Closed in Winter is displayed in RED.

所有跟帖: 

Agree -xibeiqiao- 给 xibeiqiao 发送悄悄话 (123 bytes) () 12/07/2006 postreply 13:26:38

They had a printed map but not marked "closed in winter" -闲得无聊- 给 闲得无聊 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 12/07/2006 postreply 13:39:41

even it was marked - it is understood those rds wont be plowed -Lvtotravel- 给 Lvtotravel 发送悄悄话 (195 bytes) () 12/07/2006 postreply 14:42:59

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”