Rocky Mountain Oysters

来源: xux 2006-12-04 12:56:25 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3610 bytes)

Last night Dave was watching football on TV, it was Seattle Seahawks vs. Denver Broncos at Broncos Stadium. The announcer mentioned he had tried "Rocky Mountain Oysters", so Dave asked me if I know what they are. I said no. He said they are animal testicles. I said "no way, Americans eat that?" He said "google it if you don't believe me." So I did, here is what I found on Wikipedia:

Rocky Mountain oysters, mountain oysters or prairie oysters are culinary names given to boar or bull testicles. They are usually peeled, coated in flour, pepper and salt, sometimes pounded flat, then deep-fried. Boar (hog) "Mountain oysters" or "Rocky Mountain oysters are quite a treat in some Mid-west areas such as in Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, and Ohio.

It is a well-known novelty dish in parts of the American West and the Canadian Prairies where cattle ranching is prevalent. The name is derived from the Rocky Mountains. In Oklahoma and North Texas, they are sometimes called calf fries, in many parts of Mexico they are referred to as "criadillas" and are colloquially referred to as huevos de toro (literally, "bull’s eggs" but huevos is also a Spanish slang term for testicles) in Central and South America. Rocky Mountain oysters are sometimes incorrectly associated with lamb fries, which are animelles that are served in a manner similar to Rocky Mountain oysters.

The dish is most commonly found served at festivals, such as the ones in Montana and Phoenix, Arizona, amongst ranching families, or at certain eating establishments and bars that specialize in it.

Yew! How can Americans gross out when they find Chinese eat chicken/duck/pig feet while they themselves eat animal testicles?

请阅读更多我的博客文章>>>
•  Homemade Wonton
•  Xi'an
•  Our Favorite Tree
•  Alaska (6) - Denali
•  Alaska (5) - Dalton Highway II

所有跟帖: 

Be warned, can be a little gross. -xux- 给 xux 发送悄悄话 xux 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/04/2006 postreply 12:58:38

I have seen it on restaurant menus in Denver as appetizer -wunderlust- 给 wunderlust 发送悄悄话 (30 bytes) () 12/04/2006 postreply 16:09:50

looks like the seahawks treated themselves to -moab- 给 moab 发送悄悄话 moab 的博客首页 (59 bytes) () 12/04/2006 postreply 16:19:43

我也在电视上看了,那么冷他们还打球,佩服。 -阿姗- 给 阿姗 发送悄悄话 阿姗 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/04/2006 postreply 22:48:16

是不是因为吃了豹子胆了(or in this case, the oysters). -moab- 给 moab 发送悄悄话 moab 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/05/2006 postreply 00:00:20

If it works that well, it may become a diet supplement soon. ;) -xux- 给 xux 发送悄悄话 xux 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/05/2006 postreply 07:31:44

I wonder whether the menu explains what it really is or not -xux- 给 xux 发送悄悄话 xux 的博客首页 (36 bytes) () 12/04/2006 postreply 18:09:02

The menu didn't say what it was but the waiter told me -wunderlust- 给 wunderlust 发送悄悄话 (11 bytes) () 12/04/2006 postreply 18:18:01

这东西我吃过 -Tiber- 给 Tiber 发送悄悄话 (56 bytes) () 12/04/2006 postreply 20:38:13

Wonder why people want to eat it then -xux- 给 xux 发送悄悄话 xux 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/05/2006 postreply 07:25:17

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”