Take the Ferry to Alaska-another idea

来源: wunderlust 2006-02-27 23:49:24 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 0 次 (2079 bytes)
you can drive to Prince Rupert in N BC and take the Alaska Marine Hwy (Alaska ferry) to Skagway, Alaska. That will be a shorter drive than going to Anchorage and you sail through one of the most scenic areas on earth - Inside Passage. Cruises all go throug Inside Passage. You can also ferry hop and make multiple stops if you plan it right. However many legs of ferry ride you take you have to make sure you end at a terminal accessible by road. Skagway is one of the few places in Southeastern AK accessible by road. Ferries are not going to cheaper but you do have the flexibility of staying as many days as you like at a single location.

Bellingham, WA on the US side is also served by Alaska ferry but that would be a much longer ferry ride.

In my opinion, visiting Alaska without seeing tidal wave glacier is like never been there. Most of the other sceneries in Alaska you can find similar sceneries just as nice in Western Washington and British Columbia. The only way to see tidal wave glacier in Alaska is from boats. Ferries often times will stop and get close to famous tidal glaciers (not sure about the SouthEastern AK ferries).

Be sure to ask your rental car company if the contract allow you to drive to Alaska and/or into Canada. You don't want to get caught violating contract (with a long drive, your chance is bigger). Rental cars do break down (mine did during my last trip to Anchorage-thank goodness I wasn't on a gravel road).

One more thing, southern Alaska panhandle is one of the rainiest areas (also the most beautiful area) in the world. That's just something you have to deal with visiting the area. Fairbanks is dry but there isn't much to see there.

If you do end up visiting the Alaska interior, don't expect to see Mt McKinley, which is only visible 20%-30% of the time, mostly in winter. I have only seen it once flying from Fairbanks. Plus, I don't believe Denali NP's shuttle is running in May, which means you have to drive on long gravel road, a violation of your rental car contract.

所有跟帖: 

回复:Take the Ferry to Alaska-another idea -xingxing1- 给 xingxing1 发送悄悄话 (597 bytes) () 02/28/2006 postreply 13:59:19

Prince Rupert, BC ferry to south eastern Ak -wunderlust- 给 wunderlust 发送悄悄话 (839 bytes) () 02/28/2006 postreply 23:13:53

Alaska Marine Highways - a Ferry Services among islands -Lvtotravel- 给 Lvtotravel 发送悄悄话 (312 bytes) () 03/03/2006 postreply 18:27:16

回复:回复:Take the Ferry to Alaska-another idea -xingxing1- 给 xingxing1 发送悄悄话 (688 bytes) () 03/04/2006 postreply 08:44:26

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”