jy101的关于IRS vs Dayton Landlord评论不怎么完全

来源: sweetptt 2012-04-18 22:49:15 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2773 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ sweetptt ] 在 2012-04-19 04:16:18 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

1. they claim near 130k net lost for both year, which red flagged IRS.

Totally agree. But I believe the loss was true if she could claim herself in the rental business. Which I believe she was not. See my argument later.

2. they travel 7 hour round trip to visit their rentals, per IRS, the travel time, can't count in the 750 hour test.

Yes or No. The IRS tried to establish that the business home was at the location where the properties were (Columbus). SO the travel from home to business location is "commute".

3. use actual deductions, don't just say common overheads...

This is not really relevant. Although more detailed accounting ledge book is appreciated.

4. don't claim home office deduction, which everyone know is a huge red flag.

The issue here is not the home office being a red flag. The IRS had already yielded and ready to give up after the landlord hired a second law firm who established that the residency in Dayton is the business office and traveling to rental properties is between business locations, which is "work", not commuting. However, the court reminded the IRS that it was not IRS' responsibility to find out whether the landlord having used her home as a business office unless the landlord stated so at the very beginning of the suit. According to the law, the later establishment of home office was thrown out by the court.

My 2 cents.

1. If you want to claim travel hours into your professional status, set up a home office. Nothing should be worried if you follow the IRS regulation in setting up such a place.

2. the landlord is indeed was not a professional. The court, the IRS and the landlord all knew that. She is not even a landlord, I will argue. She traveled to her properties once a month to care the rental business. How could she? She is more likely a investor wishing to flip when the price going up. It is noted that she acquired those properties mainly in 2005. Some of her properties probably occupied. But majority of them were vacant, as I believe. This is how the substantial loss coming from. However, it is much difficult to establish her business is not landlording. So IRS started the case by arguing the commuting issues.

3. She probably sustained a substantial loss in her investment due to the housing bubble. She was trying to recoup her loss by filing rental property loss. Which is unwise.

4. Be detailed in your accouting book. be professional in your landlording business. Do not mix personal and business accounts. Claiming home office as necessary (I do not). If you have your number right, if you know IRS code well, nothing to be afraid of.

所有跟帖: 

分析很精辟。狠狠赞一个!几乎完全同意。 -Nonsense123- 给 Nonsense123 发送悄悄话 Nonsense123 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/18/2012 postreply 23:03:03

要赞也要赞日月茗。很经典的案例。特别是法官,有理有节。不让混进革命队伍的钻了空子。 -sweetptt- 给 sweetptt 发送悄悄话 sweetptt 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/18/2012 postreply 23:10:32

他抛砖引玉,你理性解剖。很好的argument。 -Nonsense123- 给 Nonsense123 发送悄悄话 Nonsense123 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/18/2012 postreply 23:37:32

very good!!!! -jy101- 给 jy101 发送悄悄话 jy101 的博客首页 (391 bytes) () 04/19/2012 postreply 04:21:26

好文,不过前提条件挺高的,得把IRS道道搞明白了。 -SunshineInCA- 给 SunshineInCA 发送悄悄话 (154 bytes) () 04/19/2012 postreply 08:02:58

是啊。如果那个地主一开始就claim home office,她就不会被audit。如果她第一次请的律师水平高 -sweetptt- 给 sweetptt 发送悄悄话 sweetptt 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/19/2012 postreply 08:35:09

以home office的角度来解释travel time,她就会胜诉。 -sweetptt- 给 sweetptt 发送悄悄话 sweetptt 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/19/2012 postreply 08:35:53

另外的收获是,即使有CPA也不能避免败诉 -SunshineInCA- 给 SunshineInCA 发送悄悄话 (138 bytes) () 04/19/2012 postreply 10:02:28

这点我早就知道了。哈哈。所以我情愿和田鼠这样的学学也不随便去找一个cpa。 -Nonsense123- 给 Nonsense123 发送悄悄话 Nonsense123 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/19/2012 postreply 19:58:48

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”