Under the Milky Way 0a: How It All Began

来源: 1000_li_xing 2024-03-03 18:52:37 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (5206 bytes)

(Image source: Google Images)

An audiobook started all these!

It all began with an audiobook from the local library -- The Camino: A Journey of the Spirit by Shirley Maclaine.

The book title and the author both sounded new to me. I was in between audiobooks, craving for something different, something of a novelty. I didn't hesitate much, and began to listen.

Shirley MacLaine, an American actress and a known author, wrote about her pilgrimage along Camino de Santiago in Spain, a journey of about 500-miles across highways, cities, towns, villages, fields, mountains and valleys. What adventures!

Yet what truly intrigued me at the beginning was how she decided to take the journey -- after she received a couple of anonymous handwritten letters, challenging/"imploring" her to make the difficult pilgrimage.

Then I became fascinated by her experiences along the Way. As I listened to the book, I heard myself say this repeatedly "I'd like to do that!"

Seriously?
No. I meant Yes.
Gazillion dialogues went through my unsure mind. I've never walked more than 10 miles at a stretch or in a day, let alone walk a distance adding up to 500 miles in a few weeks, carrying a heavy backpack, in a foreign country, alone!!! A crazy idea, to say the least! -- Thus I convinced myself. I must be out of my mind!!! I didn't know anyone around me who had done it. I felt naive, so embarrased to have such an unrealistic and ambitious thought that I dared not share this with anyone! What if they ask me questions, mock me, or challenge my thoughts...? I wouldn't know what to say. Or might I simply give it up?

This kind of internal dialogues went on and on for a few months. No action was taken, except for some occasional thoughts about it, but every time when I thought about it, I felt blush rush to my face, my heartbeats quickened, an excitement ran through my body, and I was energized. Who am I to think of doing this pilgrimage? I had no history of fitness competence, or religious affiliation. Don't I also need a convincing reason to do this? I didn't have one yet.

Many months had passed...

One day, I was on the phone with a writer friend of mine. We talked about some weird calling. "Speaking of that," I mentioned, "I had this thing that I wanted to try but never told anyone, or wouldn't dare to..."

So the beans were spilt. The cat was let out.

At lunch one day, I was sitting with a group of colleagues-friends, and talking. Someone started a conversation on summer plans, and mentioned "Camino Walk", and, better yet, a couple of my colleagues had done it!! Lightening seemed to strike my senses in a flash of a second. Moments of joy, excitements and hope were written all over my face.

My thought of walking the Way became more pressing, more real.

Perhaps I should start to investigate airline tickets, etc. I still find no motivation to take action. I didn't know where to begin.

An excuse, "too busy."
Potential facts: Too scared, and the complexity of planning everything, with lots unknown seemed paralyzing!!

Then COVID hit......

Many of us were homebound on weekends and during long breaks. I began to take longer and more frequent walks to explore local parks and trails. As I walked, I listened to podcasts, audiobooks and youtube Vlogs on Camino-related content -- from packing-lists, to do's and don'ts, and to everything else in between.

As COVID cases thinned, a friend of mine introduced me to a Camino veteran, Mr. D., who already walked the same Camino 3 times with his wife!!! He shared with me very valuable information and resources, which helped me build the framework of the trip and solidify much of the plan. Most importantly, he gave me the confidence and assurance I much needed to start the journey!!! Kudos to my advisor and my master-mind!

Now my mind was set for the pilgrimage, I felt comfortable to let my family and more friends know about my plan -- walking the Camino Frances at the end of May, 2023!!

更多我的博客文章>>>

所有跟帖: 

心动不如行动,自己去走一次吧,很多花际少女都做的事我女儿她们曾走过一直到Finisterre。古罗马人认为这里是世界尽头 -聂耳- 给 聂耳 发送悄悄话 聂耳 的博客首页 (471 bytes) () 03/03/2024 postreply 23:45:03

据说耶稣十二门徒就是靠着天上星星引领来到圣地亚哥,找到St. Jac的遗骸的,从此就成了天主教徒的圣地。我信佛教没去过 -聂耳- 给 聂耳 发送悄悄话 聂耳 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/03/2024 postreply 23:53:47

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!