Selective Mutism Strategy - Fade In

来源: 聪明的艾米 2018-01-15 20:23:39 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (13449 bytes)

It’s time for free time, and right on cue, Mrs. Fyer walks into the classroom. Every week, Amy can choose a friend to be her talking buddy, and the three of them will spend some time together, playing games. This time, she picks Katie.

“What should we play?” Mrs. Fyer asks, and Amy wordlessly picks up her favorite board game. They quickly set up, and the game starts.

Just as Amy is making her second lap around the board, the Special Ed teacher, Mrs. Bartrim, approached the group. She exchanged a few words with Mrs. Fyer, and the latter stood up. “Sorry girls, but I have to leave.”

Mrs. Fyer stood up and headed to the door, leaving Mrs. Bartrim to hover around the girls.

Although Amy was rather familiar with the teacher by now, she could still feel her heart rate increase with the presence of a new person. She anxiously fiddled with her cards.

“This game looks fun, how do you play?” Mrs. Bartrim asks aloud. The question is rhetorical, so Amy stays silent, and instead continues.

“Ah, I see, do you each have to pick up a card? And it looks like you take turns, interesting” Mrs. Bartrim observes. “How many players does this game require?”

Amy, still nervous, doesn’t answer. Instead, her eyes meet with Katie’s, and they communicate silently.

“We usually play with three.” Katie says.

Amy nods shyly. “Three.”

The game continues, and Mrs. Bartrim occasionally comments on their moves. Amy starts to slowly relax, having gotten used to the presence of the teacher.

“Oh, Amy it is your turn now! Now you are going to move to the pink space.”

Amy smiles -- pink is her favorite color. She looks at Mrs. Bartrim, and makes tentative eye contact. Mrs. Bartrim smiles at her, and Amy feels any lingering worry start to slip away.

“Can I sit with you two and watch?” Mrs. Bartrim asks. Amy notices that Special Ed. teacher been standing the whole time, and nods at her to take a seat.

The game is soon coming to a close, and Amy starts getting excited -- she’s currently in the lead.

“Oh, Amy it is your turn now! Now you are going to move to the pink space.

“Hmm, I wonder who is going to win.”

“Me!” Amy says immediately, moving her piece to the end. She smiles at Katie, who pouts at her loss. “I lost again?” She asks.

“This looks fun. Do you think I can join you for another round?” Mrs. Bartrim asks, picking up one of the game pieces.

“Of course!” Amy replied happily.

Amy Mom and Jamie Li
Email: smartamyus@yahoo.com
Yahoo group: smartamy@yahoogroup.com

更多我的博客文章>>>
请您先登陆,再发跟帖!