Does It Make Sense?

来源: 秀山 2011-12-29 14:18:35 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (6081 bytes)

I used to argue and try to prove myself is right and others wrong just like everyone else. A Dale Carnegie course I took recently changed my opinion. Here are some paragraphs from one of the text books:

.......When Theodore Roosevelt was in the White House, he confessed that if he could be right 75 percent of the time, he would reach the highest measure of his expectation.

If that was the highest rating that one of the most distinguished men of the twentieth century could hope to obtain, what about you and me?

If you can be sure of being right only 55 percent of the time, you can go down to wall street and make a million dallars a day. If you can't be sure of being right even 55 percent of the time, why should you tell other people they are wrong?

You can tell people they are wrong by a look or an intonation or a gesture just as eloquently as you can in words - and if you tell them they are wrong, do you make them want to agree with you? Never! for you have struck a direct blow at their intelligence, judgement, pride and self-respect. That will make them want to strike back. But it will never make them wan to change their minds. You may then hurl at them all the logic of a Plato or an Immanuel Kant, but you will not alter their opinions, for you have hurt their feelings.

Never begin by announcing "I am going to prove so-and-so to you." That's bad. That's tantemount to saying:"I'm smarter than you are. I'm going to tell you a thing or two and make you change your mind."

That is a challenge. It arouses opposition and makes the listerner want to battle with you before you even start.

It is difficult, under even the most benign conditions, to change people's minds. So why make it harder? Why handicap yourself?

If you are going to prove anything, don't let anybody know it. Do it so subtly, so adroitly, that no one will feel that you are doing it. This was expressed succinctly by Alexander Pope:

Men must be taught as is you taught them not, and things unknown proposed as things forgot.

Over three hundred years ago Galileo said:

You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it within himself.

As Lord Chesterffield said to his son:

Be wiser than other people if you can; but do not tell them so.

Socrates said repeatedly to his followers in Athens:

One thing only I know, and that is that I know nothing.

Then I asked myself - What is the point to argue and prove myself is right and the others wrong? Does it really make sense?

请阅读更多我的博客文章>>>
  • Sarah Brightman & Love changes everything
  • How Successful People Think
  • Vivaldi Four Seasons by Sarah Chang
  • Brahms Violin Concerto by Sarah Chang
  • 百听不厌的小提琴曲 - 门德尔松E小调小提琴协揍曲
  • 所有跟帖: 

不知道怎么回答,不想回答对还错或者不对不错或者任何what -用户名被占用了- 给 用户名被占用了 发送悄悄话 用户名被占用了 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/29/2011 postreply 14:27:12

回复:不知道怎么回答,不想回答对还错或者不对不错或者任何what -whatever1- 给 whatever1 发送悄悄话 (61 bytes) () 12/29/2011 postreply 14:38:32

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
    请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
    选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
    选择“don't run on pages on this domain”