正文

姐妹们88岁时想做什么,会去学跆拳道么?

(2017-04-04 21:15:02) 下一个
最近有幸结识一对老夫妇。九十二岁的老先生,精神样貌看起来仿佛七十多岁,丝毫没有老态龙钟。老太太八十九岁,行动稍有不便,但每次见到她都是手不释卷。后来知道,老太太的母亲98岁去世。当时想这一家人太有长寿基因了,谁知却让我知晓了一个超励志的故事。

他们家进门处,墙上挂了不少的木质和铜质的奖牌。那块最厚重的奖牌上面刻的字最多,凑过去,一行行细细读完后,感觉太激励人心了!奖牌是Illinois州政府授给Lucille的一个纪录奖牌,她是老太太的母亲。Lucille身高只有一米五,在自己88岁时才开始学习跆拳道,90岁竟然就拿到了黑带级别,是第一位破九十岁纪录的超级老太太。

这样给人鼓舞令人振奋的故事不应该埋在故纸堆里,应该拿出来时常翻一翻,给后来人以鼓励。我在网上搜到有关她的几则消息,真的太感恩了。愿意和各位姐妹分享我的所得。

以下链接是1986年 Chicago Tribune和People 对Lucille的介绍。
1. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986-05-14/news/8602030762_1_james-thompson-tae-kwon-do-older-americans-month
2. http://people.com/archive/black-belt-granny-lucille-thompson-is-alive-and-kicking-at-90-vol-25-no-23/

为了方便,我把People杂志的原文复制在这里,大家可以直接读。

Two years ago Lucille Thompson was just another 88-year-old great-grandmother with time on her hands and arthritis in her fingers. The twice-widowed former speech writer was looking for a way to get more physical exercise when a couple of things happened that changed her life dramatically: Two elderly women were murdered in her Danville, Ill. neighborhood, and on a visit to the local senior center she saw her first demonstration of tae kwon do the Korean version of karate The next day Thompson presented herself at a nearby tae kwon do academy.

Her family’s reaction was mixed. While her eldest daughter and all seven of her grandchildren were "tickled,”her youngest daughter, 55, with whom she was living at the time, "tightened her jaws,”Thompson remembers. People thought I was nuts,”she says. ”You're the ones who are nuts, " I told  them. "You're gonna get older while I get younger.’ ”

Born in Iowa, the daughter of a Methodist minister, Thompson had a proper Victorian upbringing and “was never encouraged to do anything athletic.” At 4’11” and 109 pounds when she signed on for martial arts she was hardly an imposing specimen. “At first when she kicked,” says her teacher, Master Min Kyo Han, 49, “I had to support her.” In a remarkable 20 months, the gray-haired granny earned a black belt—making her the oldest person ever to achieve one in tae kwon do—and a nickname: “Killer.”

Thompson walks the streets without fear now. Her fingers are nimble and her back, which was beginning to hunch over, is as straight as a flagpole. A few months ago Thompson moved into a senior citizens’ apartment complex located two blocks from the academy. Now a media darling who has broken up objects and audiences on programs like The Tonight Show, Thompson has even added name-dropping to her impressive Oriental arsenal. “Johnny Carson’s very gentle,” she reveals, “but when I yelled he really jumped.”

[ 打印 ]
阅读 ()评论 (10)
评论
菲儿天地 回复 悄悄话 回复 '莲盆籽' 的评论 : +1哇,老太太太厉害了!
莲盆籽 回复 悄悄话 祝腊梅母亲节快乐!
腊梅lamei 回复 悄悄话 回复 '莲盆籽' 的评论 : 谢谢莲籽姐!有不服老的积极人生态度才有可能打破年龄约束,创造纪录和奇迹。

我最喜欢这句“You're gonna get older while I get younger”, 哈哈哈!
莲盆籽 回复 悄悄话 哈哈,老太太真可爱!
积极进取的心态,也是长寿的一个原因吧?
问好腊梅!
腊梅lamei 回复 悄悄话 回复 'changchunhua' 的评论 : 看到他们步入耄耋之年还精神十足,声音洪亮,是很受感染的。
changchunhua 回复 悄悄话 今天在健身房里遇上了位93岁的白先生在自行车组飙车(spinning)。
身材挺拔,精悍,口齿还有些伶俐。估计年轻时当过兵。
腊梅lamei 回复 悄悄话 回复 '为写而写' 的评论 : 我自己是很激动,很受鼓舞,所以希望有更多的人看到。当然很重要的是,如何把这些念头和想法转化成实际行动。
腊梅lamei 回复 悄悄话 回复 '思韵如蓝' 的评论 : 谢谢思韵姐!

能不断突破自己,持续保持旺盛生命力,我想是每个人内心里都极其渴望的。
为写而写 回复 悄悄话 真是非常励志!
思韵如蓝 回复 悄悄话 我第一个给腊梅妹妹点赞!我现在最喜欢的主题就是"越活越蓬勃"。老人创造奇迹的故事特别激励,嗯,我的路也还长哪!
登录后才可评论.