正文

after a 25-minute rain delay before a single pitch was thrown. T

(2014-09-12 20:57:41) 下一个
DETROIT -- Jim Leyland is as impressed with the Texas Rangers as he was during last years playoffs. Buccaneers #37 Jersey . "Theyre such a tremendously solid team in all areas -- starting pitching, defence, bullpen, offence," the Detroit manager said Friday. "Theyre a very good team, top to bottom. They have a lot of nice weapons, they have a lot of versatility. Theyre very good -- and we are, too." Friday night was supposed to be the second game of a four-game set between the Rangers and Tigers at Comerica Park, but it was called after a 25-minute rain delay before a single pitch was thrown. The teams will play a day-night doubleheader Saturday. Rick Porcello (1-0) of Detroit will face Matt Harrison (2-0) of Texas in the day game. That was supposed to be the matchup Friday. On Saturday night, Detroit ace Justin Verlander (1-1) takes the mound against Neftali Feliz (1-0). The Rangers beat Detroit 10-3 on Thursday night in the first meeting between the teams since Texas beat the Tigers in six games in last years AL championship series. The Tigers (9-4) acquired Prince Fielder in the off-season, hoping to build on that ALCS appearance. Verlander will take the mound Saturday night, five days after throwing 131 pitches in a complete game victory at Kansas City. Feliz will try to outpitch Verlander. The Texas right-hander saved 72 games over the last two seasons, and hes been sharp so far after moving to the rotation. Feliz has a 2.25 ERA after two starts this year. "Hes obviously not coming out there full barrel anymore, like you do when youre coming in to close the game out. Starting the game, youve got to pace yourself," Leyland said. "But hes obviously got tremendous stuff." Texas slugger Mike Napoli has five homers, nine hits, seven runs and 10 RBIs in his last four games. He couldnt do any more damage Friday night because of the rainout. "Its something you cant control," Napoli said. "Well go do the split doubleheader tomorrow and start with game one and go from there." Fridays rainout means Texas reliever Scott Feldman will likely make a spot start Wednesday at home against the New York Yankees. Feldman has thrown only 2 1-3 innings this season. He pitched 1 1-3 innings Thursday night. "I was able to see some hitters up there, so thats always nice to get into some games," Feldman said. "Id rather be pitching more, but Im just getting my work in when I can." Texas has won seven straight games and is off to a major league-best 11-2 start. Napoli has homered in four straight games, and he isnt the only Ranger on a tear lately. Josh Hamilton is hitting .426 with five homers, and the starting rotation is 9-0. The Rangers stole four bases Thursday, although they also ran into a couple outs early in the game. Craig Gentry stole second and tried to reach third when a throw bounded into left field. He was thrown out. "Thats the way we play -- he just misjudged what he saw," manager Ron Washington said. "Im not going to blame him for misjudging what he saw because I dont want him to get tentative." NOTES: The Tigers on Friday acquired RHP Zach Miner from the Kansas City Royals for cash. Hes joining Double-A Erie. Miner, who turned 30 last month, appeared in 157 games for the Tigers from 2006-09, including 35 starts. He had surgery on his right elbow in May 2010 and signed a minor league deal with the Royals before last season. Now hes back in the Detroit organization. "His versatility I thought was his biggest asset," Leyland said. "He could go short, he could go long, he could start." ... Texas 2B Ian Kinsler was set to be the designated hitter Friday, with Michael Young playing 2B. Washington says he doesnt want Young to become "too stale just DHing." Buccaneers #15 Jersey . Boston manager John Farrell didnt alert umpires about brown goo on the lower part of Pinedas right palm during a 4-1 win over Boston at Yankee Stadium on April 10. Photos of Pinedas pitching hand that night sparked a debate about pitchers use of sticky substances to get a better grips in cool weather. Buccaneers #21 Jersey . 14-16. Coverage begins this Friday at 9pm et/6pm pt on TSN2 with the NBA Rising Stars Challenge, featuring the leagues best rookie and sophomore players – including Canadian rookie Kelly Olynyk of Kamloops, B.C. and Toronto Raptors second-year forward Jonas Valanciunas.RICHMOND, Va. -- Washington Redskins receiver DeSean Jackson has returned to full practice after missing several days with a sore left ankle. Jackson took part in the regular team drills Monday. He hurt his ankle during a joint practice with the New England Patriots last week and missed the preseason opener oon Thursday. Buccaneers #94 Jersey. Both Jackson and coach Jay Gruden say they expect the three-time Pro Bowl receiver to play in next Mondays game against the Cleveland Browns. Said Gruden: "I think now its just a matter of letting it go for a whole practice. ... I think hell be fine by Monday." ' ' '
[ 打印 ]
阅读 ()评论 (0)
评论
目前还没有任何评论
登录后才可评论.