文章分类
归档
正文

ZT - Live w/ children?

(2017-08-16 10:12:48) 下一个
中囯父母去美国靠 SON and DAUGHTER 应知: 精选

已有 4747 次阅读 2017-8-12 10:55 |个人分类:生活点滴|系统分类:海外观察    推荐到群组

中文翻译 请看十号评论

For new readers and those who request to be “好友 good friends”  please read my 公告栏 first

Chinese parents going to live abroad to be with or near children need to know (中囯父母去美国靠????女应知):

The benefits for seniors in the US are substantial. While they vary from State to State, generally seniors are provided with

1.Supplemental living income

2.Subsidize housing

3.Medical care

4.Free food

so long as you have limited assets in the US (the government has no way to check your wealth in China). All these benefits are given to green card holding seniors even though the seniors have never done a single days of work or paid one cent of taxes. In fact we heard of seniors who choose to remain in the US because of these benefits  even their children have returned to China because of better opportunities.

Aside from benefits, to be near your established children in your old age is natural  and a blessing according to Chinese tradition. We know cases of Chinese parents spending their retirement years in comfort and happiness this way in the US.

On the other hand, because of the differences in US and Chinese customs and living traditions, the insistent practice of parents of Chinese family rules and customs in their children homes can result in conflicts and unhappy relationship. For example,

1.While in China, the parents are always the head of the family, in the US you are living as guests in the home of your children. In the extreme case, Mother living in her son’s home wants to dictate furniture arrangements and meal preparations out of desire to help not realizing that in the US the daughter-in-law is the  head mistress of the home. Here the built in age old conflicts between mother and daughter in law are further exacerbated by the difference in US and Chinese customs.

2.Similarly, in the US the education and up-bringing of children are the sole responsibility of parents.  Grandparents as the saying goes, “should keep their mouth shut and wallet open”. Here again according to Chinese custom, grandparent have every right to interfere. Conflicts again result.

3.Unless the parents already have friends living in the same city, establishing new friends and overcome language difficulties can have substantial difficulties in one’s old age. Working children have their own lives and cannot be with you every minute.

4. The adjustment is particularly difficult for people who was in position of power and fame in China. Suddenly you become a nobody in the US and no one pay you the respect you have accustomed to in China even when retired. It is a double adjustment.

Thus it is a case of “practice the custom of the country you live in”. Chinese grandparents must learn to adapt and lower your expectations when coming to the US to enjoy their remaining years. Managed right, life can be fulfilling and happy.

PS I hope someone can translate this article into Chinese to insure wider readership

http://blog.sciencenet.cn/blog-1565-1070833.html

上一篇:The Near Future of AI

13 许培扬 强涛 檀成龙 毛进 吴斌 刘钢 黄仁勇 史晓雷 李万春 杨顺楷 xlsd xiyouxiyou qzw

发表评论 评论 (12 个评论)

[12]钟贞旻  2017-8-16 04:07
帮助学习英文了,挺好的呢……
[11]qzw  2017-8-13 20:24
就是在中国,我也认为不能靠 SON and DAUGHTER 。另外,何老的英文很简单嘛,既学了了知识又提高了英文,何乐不为?
[10]胡爱国  2017-8-13 20:03
试着翻译一下,做不到信达雅,见谅~~

中国父母去美国投靠子女须知

在美国,老年人享受的福利非常可观。虽然政策因州而异,但一般来说,老年人都可以享受以下权利

1. 补充生活收入

2. 房屋补贴

3. 医疗护理

4. 免费食物

只要持有绿卡的老年人在美国拥有一定的资产(注意:美国政府无法得知你在中国是富豪还是穷光蛋 ),即使他们从未完成过一天的工作或缴纳了一分钱的税,他们都可以得到以上所述这些福利。事实上,我们听说有些老人的孩子已经回国大展宏图,而他们却坚守在美国享受这些福利。

除了享受福利这个因素外,老年人选择和自己已经成人的孩子住在一起在中国传统文化里是件很自然的事。我们了解很多中国老人在美国渡过退休岁月的情况。

另一方面,由于美国和中国的习俗和生活传统的差异,中国家庭中传统的家长制做法可能会引发老人于子女冲突,造成家庭生活的不和谐。例如,

1.在中国文化中,父母总是家庭的主角。而来到美国,你的角色转换为你孩子家中的客人。在一些特别的情况下,生活在儿子家中的母亲想要规定家具安排和膳食准备,而忽视媳妇的意愿。他们需要了解一点的是,在这个美国的这个家里,媳妇才是真正家庭主妇。在这些情况下,媳妇和婆婆间天然存在的代沟加上文化差异进一步加剧了家庭矛盾。

2. 类似情况,在美国文化中,教育和抚养子女是完全是父母的责任。祖父母的角色则可参考一句俗话,“闭上嘴巴,打开钱包”。但是在中国习俗中,祖父母往往会越权干涉小孩的教育,再次造成家庭冲突与矛盾。

3. 除非老年人已经在附近有自己的朋友圈,否则去克服语言障碍,建立新的朋友关系,对他们来讲是件非常困难的事。要知道,上班的中生代们都有自己的生活和圈子,他们不可能每时每刻都和你在一起。

4. 对于那些国内已经混得非常光鲜的老年人来讲,来到美国的角色转化会更困难。在美国,你突然变成路人甲,没有人再会像你在中国那样恭维你,你懂的。所以请三思而行。

因此,入乡随俗,调整好心态。中国祖父母在来美国享受晚年的岁月时,必须学会适应和降低你的期望。收回你的权利想法,生活可以变得完美而快乐。
博主回复(2017-8-14 06:29)I have a few small corrections. But nothing to change the general excellence of your translation.
博主回复(2017-8-14 06:29)I have a few small corrections. But nothing to change the general excellence of your translation.
博主回复(2017-8-14 05:04)Very good translation. Many thanks.
[9]wwmwwm  2017-8-13 16:18
其实,在中国,情况也越来越相近。
博主回复(2017-8-13 17:12)Good to know this.
[8]dwen  2017-8-13 10:49
何教授高中毕业来美国留学已经60多年了。他用中文电脑书写有不方便的地方。我们应该理解和体谅他。
博主回复(2017-8-13 12:44)Thank you for understanding and support
[7]胡良军  2017-8-13 05:03
大家这么说何先生,实在是不公平哦    俺替何先生解释一下吧:1. 何先生在美国生活一辈子,对中文尤其是书写方面的技能已经十分生疏,不能尽意表达个人意思;2. 在美国生活年数太久的学者,办公室及家庭使用的计算机系统一般都不会安装中文系统,也没有中文输入法。何先生的博文都是十分有指导价值的精品,我们应该感谢老先生的无私付出,不要勉为其难
博主回复(2017-8-13 05:20)Many thanks.
[6]蒲亨建  2017-8-13 04:47
院士先生,我知道你很英语很牛,但希望不止于此。
[5]cake2003  2017-8-13 04:05
1楼很奇怪啊,来,google帮你翻译下:
父母要去海外生活,要和孩子在一起生活需要知道(中国父母去美国靠𠒇女应知)

美国老年人的福利很大。虽然他们因州而异,但一般来说都是老年人

1.补充生活收入

房屋补贴

医疗护理

免费食物

只要你在美国有限的资产(政府无法检查你在中国的财富)。即使老年人从未完成过一天的工作或缴纳了一分钱,所有这些福利都是给予绿卡持有老年人的。事实上,我们听说有选择留在美国的老年人,因为这些好处,即使他们的孩子因为更好的机会而返回中国。

除了福利,靠近你老年人的成熟孩子是自然的,是根据中国传统的祝福。我们知道中国父母在美国度过退休年龄的情况。

另一方面,由于美国和中国的习俗和生活传统的差异,中国家庭习俗父母对子女家庭的坚持做法可能会导致冲突和不愉快的关系。例如,

1.在中国,父母一直是家庭的主角,在美国,你作为你孩子的家中的客人。在极端的情况下,生活在儿子家中的母亲想要规定家具安排和膳食准备,希望能够帮助不了解在美国,女law是家庭主妇。在这里,中国和中国海关的差异进一步加剧了母亲和女儿在法律上的老龄化冲突。

2.类似地,在美国,教育和抚养子女是家长的唯一责任。祖父母俗话说,“应该保持嘴巴关闭,钱包开放”。这里再次按照中国习俗,祖父母有权干涉。冲突再次产生结果。

无论父母已经有朋友住在同一个城市,建立新朋友,克服语言困难,老年人都有很大的困难。工作的孩子有自己的生命,每分钟都不能和你在一起。

因此,这是“实践你所居住的国家的习惯”的一种情况。中国祖父母在来美国享受余下的岁月时,必须学会适应和降低你的期望。管理权利,生活可以实现和快乐。

PS希望有人可以将这篇文章翻译成中文,以保证更广泛的读者群体
博主回复(2017-8-13 17:18)Thank you and google for the translation. I have added an item 4 to my article yesterday which Chinese parents should also take note of.
[4]蒲亨建  2017-8-13 04:00
你回答问题也用英文?如果你不懂中文就算了,如果你懂中文……
博主回复(2017-8-13 04:42)Understandiong Chinese and writing Chinese are two different things.
[3]牛凤岐  2017-8-13 02:32
科学网是汉文(语言文字法是按汉语文制定的,所谓“中文”   ,有忽视非汉族人存在和使用本民族语言文字权力的嫌疑)网,博文应该用汉文发表,愿意同时附英文稿者,悉听尊便。
博主回复(2017-8-13 03:19)I have answered your question many times in the past tern years and have explicit permission from sciencenet to use english for my blogs.
[2]沈律  2017-8-13 01:15

[1]蒲亨建  2017-8-12 19:28
你是欺负我们这些不懂英文的菜鸟么?
博主回复(2017-8-13 03:33)See my reply above.
[ 打印 ]
阅读 ()评论 (0)
评论
目前还没有任何评论
登录后才可评论.