宁静纯我心 感得事物人 写朴实清新. 闲书闲话养闲心,闲笔闲写记闲人;人生无虞懂珍惜,以沫相濡字字真。
个人资料
  • 博客访问:
文章分类
归档
正文

intelligence of the American public

(2016-05-03 10:14:32) 下一个

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.”(H. L. Mencken).

So don't cry for America, just now. The truth is, democracy isn't leaving us -- and even when it does, there will still be plenty of other routes to be great again; for America rootes on solid ground of the intelligence of the American public, freedom of speech, a vote at hand that can shape a greater America, not dependent on superman, super spider man, even captain American, or some crazy figures or creatures crawling into the public life. 

Some cry out for a great leader dropping down from Heaven, savig us all in America. You see a deafening chorus of pundits insisting that it was our founding fathers who laid the foundations for our extraordinary prosperity. Reeading today news headlines gotta me think about all around the world, worrying about America, a decaying nation of democracy. 

Really? not so sure about it, now?

Ted Cruz said this morning: "Heidi is not pretty enough for Donald Trump!" "Trump is a pathetic liar!"

Hello! Heidi is your wife. Why do you want she's pretty enough for some other man? for a pathetic liar?

Are you thinking straight? Really? You're kidding, right?

It's chaotic, messy out there. I sincerely hope all the voters, "the intelligence of the American public," can clear up this mess.

Hey, my fellow Chinese voters, think straight - what's in it for you? You got the say now - Don't waste that right in your hand! As for the following reasons:

The public has a rather Zen-like view of election. They believe that candidates are rational, and that processes 

are therefore unpredictable. It sounds peculiar, but the logic is ironclad. Rational 

candidates would take into account everything they know -- all the information 

available about where hot topic/policy and so on are going -- however, when join in or stay away, purely up to the voters. 

Both Trump and Sanders are selling an illusion - no specifics, no How to solve the problems at hand - but it's an illusion -"I want change, I want an outsider of Washington" -  many people want to believe in, and 

there’s no easy way to counter that - "I win, I win and I win," how hilarious Trump felt running wildly, full of excitement and fever. While Clinton runs mericulously on her having been in the world of movers and shakers for so long,Clinton 

can’t project the kind of purity that someone who has been an outsider of the ring - lack of vitality as doll it can be.

?

In the end, the voters got the say; of course, they take the consequence of their vote: bitter or sweet - they do learn from it, and move on. That's America, a nation 

that takes a bold risk of trying something new, someone crazy enough to provoke 

everything for better or worse. 

Life goes on !

~~

References

I believe in only one thing and that thing is human liberty. If ever a man is to achieve anything like dignity, it can happen only if superior men are given absolute freedom to think what they want to think and say what they want to say. I am against any man and any organization which seeks to limit or deny that freedom. . . [and] the superior man can be sure of freedom only if it is given to all men.

I believe in the complete freedom of thought and speech — alike for the humblest man and the mightiest, and in the utmost freedom of conduct that is consistent with living in organized society.
I believe in the capacity of man to conquer his world, and to find out what it is made of, and how it is run.
I believe in the reality of progress.
I —But the whole thing, after all, may be put very simply. I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie. I believe that it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe that it is better to know than be ignorant.

One of the main purposes of laws in a democratic society is to put burdens upon intelligence and reduce it to impotence. Ostensibly, their aim is to penalize anti-social acts; actually their aim is to penalize heretical opinions. At least ninety-five Americans out of every 100 believe that this process is honest and even laudable; it is practically impossible to convince them that there is anything evil in it. In other words, they cannot grasp the concept of liberty. Always they condition it with the doctrine that the state, i.e., the majority, has a sort of right of eminent domain in acts, and even in ideas — that it is perfectly free, whenever it is so disposed, to forbid a man to say what he honestly believes.

The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos.

Henry Louis Mencken (12 September 188029 January 1956), usually designated simply H. L. Mencken, was a twentieth-century journalist, satirist, social critic, cynic, and freethinker, known as the "Sage of Baltimore" and the "American Nietzsche". He is often regarded as one of the most influential American writers of the early 20th century.

~~

My takes on the US Presidential Election 2016

已有 1558 次阅读 2016-4-28 19:44 |个人分类:生活点滴|系统分类:海外观察

For new readers and those who request to be “好友 good friends” please read my 公告first.

Now that the dust has essentially clear on the US Presidential Election  2016, we have Trump vs. Clinton as the presumed nominees of the two  respective parties (note the first half my prediction given more than six months ago has been proven to be true http://blog.sciencenet.cn/blog-1565-930275.html ).Here are my takes on the election using a series of well-known clichés, phrases, and personal observations (highlighted in RED) plus explanations (in BLACK) to give my take on the forthcoming election.

18 Republican candidates started.Now there is only Trump

Money talks: Trump being the only billionaire in the race can fund his own  campaign rather than rely on donations and become beholden to special  interest during the early days. He can say what he wants without fear  This is an ADVANTAGE. But don’t worry, he only lent the money to his own  campaign and expect to be paid back from the party and latter donations.

Angry populace: Trump cleverly sensed the discontent of a significant  portion of the population and tapped into this discontent by saying things other candidate afraid to say. The electorates thus like him and he distinguishes  himself from others.  

Trump is like Reagan – a great communicator and entertainer:  Nowadays Reagan is the saint of the Republican Party.In this Trump is like Reagan. Few in the race can match him for spontaneity and outspokenness.

Nothing personal, its business (politics) – The Godfather

People realize that during an election campaign all kinds of attacks are launched  on your opponents. But after the race, the party must heal their wounds  and unite together if the party is going to win. In 2008,Hillary actually placed Obama in nomination at the convention and worked hard for Obama.  We wait to see if Trump’s opponent can do the same.

Favorability vs Electability: In an election we often equate the two.However, when it comes to the general election, Trump has a lot of negatives to overcome. Not that Hillary is without negatives. But when comes to qualifications and experience, Hillary has the edge. And in a general election, you vote for the lessor of two evils, i.e., against the candidate you don’t want.

Political party is a private club: They can make up their own rules which  are why the “Stop Trump movement” is still hopeful that they can  derail  Trump if he does not achieve the 1237 delegate majority on the  first ballot. But increasingly this is a forlorn hope that isnot going to be realized.

It is better the devil you know: Trump claims that his unpredictability is a  virtue when comes to negotiating a new beginning to “make America  great again”. But this is a big risk for an electorate to take.

Tempest (Storm) in a tea pot (toilet) as in thispast Sunday New York Times (4/24/2016) opinion page. Nowadays in America sex is “Beyond binary” of  male and female. LBGTs (Lesbain, Bisexual,Gay, and Transgender)  are in the  mainstream. And which public bathrooms LBGTs should use has become a  presidential campaign non-issue. Some States has in fact passed  law dictating  the choice.

Income inequality and Opportunity inequality: This is a real issue as I discussed  in an earlier blog article http://blog.sciencenet.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=1565&do=blog&id=970138 .Bernie Saunders has correctly  campaigned on this theme.

Democracy is complicated, inefficient, andmessy: As this election has so far  demonstrated and remind us of the famous Churchillian saying

Democracy is the worst form of government except for all others.

The best arguement against democracy is to talk to a voter for five minutes.

http://blog.sciencenet.cn/blog-1565-973442.html  此文来自科学网何毓琦博客,转载请注明出处。
上一篇:Scams, frauds, and Come-on ads
下一篇:International Ivory Trade

8 许培扬 李胜文 史晓雷 徐晓 XY decipherer qzw ahmen

该博文允许注册用户评论 请点击登录 评论 (6 个评论)

[6]段新平  2016-5-2 01:21

What I really care about is individual will of the coming elected president Trump or Clinton could significantly dominate the true policy to EU, China, Russia, and the world. Personal will of the US president is standed for the power or political courage? Either we expect the Great Politician or the Great Intellectual.
[5]ahmen  2016-5-1 00:49

What is a "CA"?

I see a polarization of job opportunities that drives the middle class down. This group of people is too numerous and too proud to be pacified by a Sanders style welfare. They demand a revolution through Trump. Somehow, the country needs to fill a mid-range hole in the job opportunities. Right now it is either coding for Google or flip burgers, with nothing in between.
博主回复(2016-5-1 02:41)CA=Chinese Americans
[4]ahmen  2016-4-30 13:30

Thank you Prof. Ho for writing about this fascinating election again. I hope there are more discussions here, for it will impact China in a significant way.

Trump开始向中庸靠拢,成为美国总统的可能性很大。人们记忆力有限,你看几个月以后,女人们也都会喜欢Trump.

克林顿基本上没有什么新招。她在外交上确实是经验丰富,但是那些不是什么成功的经验。正如Trump所说,她的愚蠢已经使得几十万人被无辜杀害。在内政上民主党一贯是劫富济贫。可是真正的富人都是给了他们赞助的, 动不得。所以可以”劫“的,是老老实实,默默无闻的中产阶层。中产阶层的破落是Trump革命的主要原因。中产阶层人数多,所以Trump赢得可能性也大。

这年头去做美国总统,真不是一个好差使。Trump这样站起来敢于事实求是地讲一些真话还是很可贵的。他有什么牌可打那是天晓得。Sanders基本上是托派。他也讲真话,很可爱,孩子们都喜欢他。但是成不了气候。那些思变的人,都会投Trump的票。
博主回复(2016-4-30 19:34)Yes, it is not surprising that many CAs favor Trump, particularly immigrants who feel "if I can make it, why shouldn't everyone. You should rely on yourself http://blog.sciencenet.cn/blog-1565-820046.html ".
[3]qzw  2016-4-29 18:38

川普失去了一些女性选民,川普会赢得大选?
博主回复(2016-4-29 20:59)We shall see if Trump is really smart or the polls are correct that he is un-electable.
[2]decipherer  2016-4-29 13:36

But don’t worry, he only lent the money to his own  campaign and expect to be paid back from the party and latter donations.
==========
好狡猾
博主回复(2016-4-29 22:43)He was still taking a smart but calculated risk since the loan won't be repaid if he did not get the nomination. However, the spending in the initial stages were small. He merely increased his lending as his chance improved. SMART AND SHREWED!
[1]李胜文  2016-4-29 05:41

You said what most elites (intellectuals) thought about; however, as Trump said, "I love poorly educated people, my kind of people." - that's his base, stirring up the anger among these folks. I'm afraid of that "But when comes to qualifications and experience, Hillary has the edge. " - it might be the opposite as both qualifications and experience can be "double-edged sword" - whatever heck wrong, she bears the blames. In the end, only God knows who'll win - May God bless America.
博主回复(2016-4-29 10:38)I'd also remind readers of the famous American saying " no one ever went broke by underestimating the intelligence of the American public ".
博主回复(2016-4-29 07:44)Yes, I don't count out Trump at all. Nor can he ruin America in my life time. We shall see. Nov 2016 shall be most interesting.
[ 打印 ]
阅读 ()评论 (0)
评论
目前还没有任何评论
登录后才可评论.