正文

忙里偷闲--谈谈美国富人

(2007-03-04 19:49:59) 下一个
 Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919)
Businessman who helped build the American steel industry.
Wealth at death: $475,000,000
Wealth/GDP: 1/166
卡耐基是一个富有争议性的大富豪,企业家,慈善家。
一方面他非常乐善好施,是美国富人中数一数二的慈善家。另一方面,据说他对工人特别苛刻,经常要求工人加班 and cut wages。
Carnegie once told his worker who complained,"If you don't want to work for me, you can find another boss or work for yourself".
Then, it really makes sense for his dichotomousness. Enterpreneurs take the full responsibility of the business risk and their businesses may go into bankruptcy next day. Workers don't need to worry about this risk and they get the salaries for sure. They don't have the same amount of stake in risk as entrepreneurs. If the firm goes bankrupt, they just find another boss. If they want bonus, they need to work harder, but they still don't assume the risk of the business.
If you really want to be rich, you get to be your own boss and take the risk. The greatness of this country is that it provides plenty of facilities, opportunities and protections for people who want to run their own business.
On the other hand, to be rich also helps you to be more supportive of your community. Rich people donote money to  communities,  schools,  universities,  libraries and  museums so that normal people can enjoy.
Think about Bill Gates (Wealth/GDP: 1/152 ) and Warren Buffett! The way they do business is ruthless, but they make the capital more efficient and the world richer. At the same time,  they are great philanthropists.
Anyway, to be rich is glorious! 
Mr. Deng said it!
A quote from Carnegie
"Man does not live by bread alone. I have known millionaires starving for lack of the nutriment which alone can sustain all that is human in man, and I know workmen, and many so-called poor men, who revel in luxuries beyond the power of those millionaires to reach. It is the mind that makes the body rich. There is no class so pitiably wretched as that which possesses money and nothing else. Money can only be the useful drudge of things immeasurably higher than itself. Exalted beyond this, as it sometimes is, it remains Caliban still and still plays the beast. My aspirations take a higher flight. Mine be it to have contributed to the enlightenment and the joys of the mind, to the things of the spirit, to all that tends to bring into the lives of the toilers of Pittsburgh sweetness and light. I hold this the noblest possible use of wealth."
Another quote from Carnegie in Chinese
"如果我们只图从别人那里获得什么,那我们就无法给人一些真诚的赞美,那也就无法真诚地给别人一些快乐了。 如果一定要说我想得到什么的话,告诉你,我想得到的只是一件无价的东西。这就是我为他做了一件事情,而他又无法回报我;过后很久,在我心中还会有一种满足的感觉。
[ 打印 ]
阅读 ()评论 (0)
评论
目前还没有任何评论
登录后才可评论.