Sounds like a good rule

来源: 66196 2005-12-08 13:30:30 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1628 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 66196 ] 在 2006-01-03 08:15:59 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.
Although it sounds like the 2nd Cir. Court was talking more about proxiamte cause, which requires the type of harm should be foreseeable to support the proximate cause. I may have to dig up the case and take a look. To me it is always tricky because it is hard to prove whether the birdseed was there for quite some time. Back to the Oldtown Buffet case, the Appeal Court decided that the time of the ketchup on the floor was not long enough so that the employees could take care of it. Their idea was that if it was long and nobody took action, they were negligent. If the spill just happened then they may or may not be negligent. The evidence showed that the ketchup was still brightly red and was not even brownish yet. That supported the defense to deny recovery. Now I understand why the tort lawyers are very unhappy.

Regarding sign, both the Wal-mart case and the Gap case. It is actually a bad idea for the business to erect a warning sign. The idea behind is that if you know it is dangerous then fix it. Preventive action will be viewed by court such that you know it is dangerous but refuse to fix it. Take a baseball game for example. One time a guy was hit by a foul ball on the head and got completely paralyzed. His recovery was denied because by going to the baseball game he assumed risk associated with the game. A foul ball was certainly within the regultion of the game. In another case the stadium erected a fense but the fense had a hole so that a ball went straight in the hit a guy. Now the fense is evidence that the stadium knew the danger but negligent in maintaining it.
请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”