WORKPLACE VIOLENCE?Advice needed appreciated!

来源: wenxl 2010-03-20 16:39:24 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (4609 bytes)

I have a friend who is a doctor working in a University Hospital. He has been working for this hospital almost four years. Last year, because his outstanding academic/ clinical work and research (he published over ten paper in major publication yearly), he was granted “Tenure” if he is still an associate professor.

One day at the beginning of this month, he received a text message from the acting director from his division asked him to take one month of voluntary leave of absence, otherwise they will suspend him. There was a nurse complained my friend raised his voice in a case after she was not able to provide the appropriate assistance to my friend 3-4 times. She said my friend threatened her by saying “I want to kill someone”. But my friend actually said “It is killing me” to express his frustration. The nurse exaggerates the whole thing and complained to the acting director. The acting director made the decision without listening to(refuse! Actually) the story from his side nor interview the fellows who were in the case as well because the management thinks my friend’s position could affect the fellows career and the fellows most likely won’t say anything against him. By the way, my friend did not realize he offended the nurse and he took a sick day off for nearly 4 years working at that hospital.

This is a very ridiculous situation because my friend has been out of the office and no one from the management ever tried to contact him or talked about the incident with him. It seems more like politics in play. And the false rumors have been spreading around by the acting director and the nurse.

After my friend heard the complain and spoke with the acting director on the phone, he mentioned he’d like to make an apology to her, but the acting director did not allow him to talk to the nurse because he thinks my friend might give her pressure. (ridiculous!!!). There is reputation damage to my friend and possible financial loss if the hospital won’t let him return to work before the investigation is done. My friend hired a lawyer to represent him in this case to against the acting director because there was no investigation in this incident and he never had a chance to tell the story from his side. He wanted to fight for his fairness. The university has a lawyer to handle this case as well.

Now the department ordered an investigate on this incident, but it seems everything is to against my friend because there is a medical board meeting called to evaluate if his license should be suspended because of work place violence. Both lawyers are excluded from the medical board meeting. So far, the lawyer has not been able to do anything but passing words from the hospital lawyer.
My friend’s difficulties with this acting director started when he announced to my friend that he unilaterally hird a private practice doctor to join my friend’s group( My friend is the head of that group) without any discussion or interview process.

And two weeks ago, this acting director decide not to re-appointed other two doctors that work for my friend, now in my friend’s group there is the only one doctor got to stay which is the one hired directly by the acting director. By the way, the acting director knows nothing about the specialty my friend’s group is. They are different types of doctors.

My questions here are:
1) Does the acting director have the authority to make a critical decision to punish someone without getting all sides of evidence? (no talk with my friend, fellows, only from the nurse)

2) If my friend file a grievance complaint against the acting director, is it helpful at this time? One of his other coworker will file one to against the acting director’s not re-appointing him without specific reasons.

3) What the medical board meeting like? What should my friend be prepared for it? The member in that board basically heard all the stories against my friend.

4) Is this incident really a workplace violence?

5) My friend had been very nice to the nurses by inviting them to games, buying drinks for them.

6) I am pretty upset that one person did over 1000 good things and made a little mistake. People only see that little mistake from him!

7) Basically right now, the school tried to exclude my friend’s lawyer from this case. What should he do and what can his friend do to help him?

I appreciate any input. I just post it here for advice. Thank you.

所有跟帖: 

你也许应该让你朋友自己来问,你的很多都是“biased fact” -江南余人- 给 江南余人 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/20/2010 postreply 18:44:35

Agree. -ID678- 给 ID678 发送悄悄话 (266 bytes) () 03/20/2010 postreply 21:28:15

i believe your suggestions are serious biased -hello2002- 给 hello2002 发送悄悄话 (1429 bytes) () 03/20/2010 postreply 22:25:16

everything you said is true, but only on the paper -hello2002- 给 hello2002 发送悄悄话 (146 bytes) () 03/21/2010 postreply 12:39:10

我想应该是您的朋友(当事人)来这里咨询 -tobuto- 给 tobuto 发送悄悄话 (203 bytes) () 03/20/2010 postreply 21:58:10

你要是听这个hlzds的风言风语就只有死路一条了。我觉得hello2002给了 -江南余人- 给 江南余人 发送悄悄话 (14 bytes) () 03/21/2010 postreply 08:31:51

This happens a lot. There are 2 things one should be very -mdgg- 给 mdgg 发送悄悄话 mdgg 的博客首页 (1458 bytes) () 03/21/2010 postreply 19:18:03

Why not get local employment lawyer? -Quarx- 给 Quarx 发送悄悄话 Quarx 的博客首页 (181 bytes) () 03/22/2010 postreply 10:41:27

Thank you very much for all the responses. -wenxl- 给 wenxl 发送悄悄话 (741 bytes) () 03/22/2010 postreply 16:13:32

hlzds will be really pissesd off this time. -hello2002- 给 hello2002 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/23/2010 postreply 13:22:04

回复:hlzds will be really pissesd off this time. -HLiu- 给 HLiu 发送悄悄话 HLiu 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/23/2010 postreply 14:49:49

I think you are pissed off -HLiu- 给 HLiu 发送悄悄话 HLiu 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/23/2010 postreply 14:51:10

I mean hello2002 was pissed off -HLiu- 给 HLiu 发送悄悄话 HLiu 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/23/2010 postreply 14:57:59

Ha! Ha! All of you were pissed off. The LZ is winner! -疑马甲- 给 疑马甲 发送悄悄话 疑马甲 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/23/2010 postreply 15:34:15

Everyone here who gave sincere comment is highly appreciated -wenxl- 给 wenxl 发送悄悄话 (429 bytes) () 03/24/2010 postreply 14:44:30

收刮一些馊主意给人卖好,你是哪根葱轮得到你操心? -疑马甲- 给 疑马甲 发送悄悄话 疑马甲 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/24/2010 postreply 16:06:05

我就是那根比你稍微有点人格,有点品格,但没你有空的那根葱 -WENXL- 给 WENXL 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/25/2010 postreply 08:31:38

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”