爬藤的一大好处是,GPA很高,很高。哈佛1950年平均是C-,2014年是A—

来源: luxh009 2017-10-16 15:14:30 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (25070 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ luxh009 ] 在 2017-10-16 15:17:29 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

Ivy League grade inflationGrade expectations

An “A” is not what it used to be

“WE DO not release statistics on grade-point averages so we can’t speak to the accuracy of the information you have.” That was a flack for Yale, but other Ivy League colleges—with the partial exception of Princeton—were equally reluctant to discuss their grading practices with The Economist.

Are they trying to hide something? Perhaps. Stuart Rojstaczer, a critic of grade inflation, has estimated average grades over time by combining dozens of unofficial and official sources. The results are startling (see chart). In 1950, Mr Rojstaczer estimates, Harvard’s average grade was a C-plus. An article from 2013 in the Harvard Crimson, a student newspaper, revealed that the median grade had soared to A-minus: the most commonly awarded grade is an A. The students may be much cleverer than before: the Ivies are no longer gentlemen’s clubs for rich knuckleheads. But most probably, their marks mean less.

Universities pump up grades because many students like it. Administrators claim that tough grading leads to rivalry and stress for students. But if that is true, why have grades at all? Brilliant students complain that, thanks to grade inflation, little distinguishes them from their so-so classmates. Employers agree. When so many students get As, it is hard to figure out who is clever and who is not.

“The median grade in Harvard College is indeed an A-,” the school’s dean of education said today, according to the student newspaper. Even more stunning: “The most frequently awarded grade in Harvard College is actually a straight A.”

That ought to dispel any notion that Harvard is tough on its students. Grade inflation may be a victimless crime, but what is the point of having a range of grades if half of them are A- or higher?

Accusations of grade inflation flare up frequently at Harvard and other college campuses. Harvard, in particular, has been accused of grading more softly than some of its rivals in the Ivy League.

Larry Summers, the former US Treasury secretary, was highly critical of the practice while he was president of the university. After he stepped down, he told an interviewer: “Ninety percent of Harvard graduates graduated with honors when I started. The most unique honor you could graduate with was none.”

The revelation that the median grade at Harvard is an A- prompted lots of discussion, especially among Ivy-league educated journalists. Some speculated high grades reflect intelligence. Others say professors just want their students to get jobs, or, selfishly, they want favorable teaching evaluations. As a teaching assistant in the economics department at Columbia, I too inflated student grades, but for none of those reasons.

I just didn’t want to deal with all the complaining.

Of course, I (and every other graduate student and professor I worked with) read everyone’s work carefully and especially rewarded students who demonstrated a solid understanding of the material. But the distribution of grades was very narrow. Great work got an A, pretty good to average got an A-, slightly below average was a B+, not great was a B, very bad was a B-. Anything below was akin to failure and required showing zero effort or even hostility to the class.

We all cared about teaching and fairness. But the real reason so many of us inflate grades is to avoid students complaining. Anything less than an A- would result in endless emails, crying during office hours, or calls from parents. One student once cornered me and said: “I hope you’re happy you’ve destroyed my chance at Goldman and ruined my life.”

Dealing with all the complaints takes time and, as a PhD student, I had my own research to do. Evaluations, ironically, were not really my concern. Student evaluations are not that important in economics (unless you aspire to teach at a liberal arts college), or not nearly as important as publishing papers in a top journal. And despite pleas from the thwarted Goldman candidate, the future job prospects of students and the money they might some day donate to the university was furthest from my mind. I’d sooner worry about winning a research grant.

Grade inflation is a collective action problem. If the standard is an A- average, it’s impossible to give average work a lower grade. To some extent, students are right to complain if the grades of their peers in other classes or universities are inflated—but theirs are not.

Nonetheless, I initially found all the complaining offensive. I did my undergraduate work in Britain, where grade inflation is less of a problem. That’s because the brunt of your grade came from a single essay at the end of the year. These exams are double marked, by your professor and one at another university, to ensure uniform national standards. That not only kept grade inflation in check, but the culture of complaining too. I would have been considered presumptuous to question the judgment of two professors.

That may not be realistic at research universities in America, as the British grading system is very time intensive and universities there are more teaching and less research oriented. But it’s worth consideration as US colleges grapple with keeping standards, one campus to another.

I worry that grade inflation discourages students from learning subjects which don’t pump up grades as much, like science (pdf). Further, grade inflation robs students of an important life skill: We learn the most from failure, which happens even when we try hard, and our ability to overcome it. That kind of resilience will be rewarded more in the increasingly competitive labor market—and is worth a lot more than straight A’s.

所有跟帖: 

以下有2016的数据,更高。但我不担心。哈佛的社会功能本来就不是培养专业人才,而是让未来的领袖精英能聚于一堂彼此了解。 -大观园的贾探春- 给 大观园的贾探春 发送悄悄话 大观园的贾探春 的博客首页 (236 bytes) () 10/16/2017 postreply 15:51:15

survey总是有点夸张。 -BeLe- 给 BeLe 发送悄悄话 BeLe 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/16/2017 postreply 16:06:23

Harvard University 3.45 -BeLe- 给 BeLe 发送悄悄话 BeLe 的博客首页 (4263 bytes) () 10/16/2017 postreply 16:05:22

最近几年好像过了3.7 -高山峻岭流水人家- 给 高山峻岭流水人家 发送悄悄话 高山峻岭流水人家 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/16/2017 postreply 16:07:40

不大可能。 -BeLe- 给 BeLe 发送悄悄话 BeLe 的博客首页 (1125 bytes) () 10/16/2017 postreply 16:08:45

Though the class reported an A- average GPA, 72 percent said tha -高山峻岭流水人家- 给 高山峻岭流水人家 发送悄悄话 高山峻岭流水人家 的博客首页 (27 bytes) () 10/16/2017 postreply 16:15:59

学生报纸的survey, survey总是有点夸张。 -BeLe- 给 BeLe 发送悄悄话 BeLe 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/16/2017 postreply 16:37:27

Could you provide the link of this table, thanks. -czhz- 给 czhz 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/16/2017 postreply 17:14:36

中位数A-. 7个人分布可能是 C, B, B+, A-,A-,A-, A -lazygardener- 给 lazygardener 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/16/2017 postreply 16:14:11

就举个例呀。可能的组合太多了 FDCA-A-AA -lazygardener- 给 lazygardener 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/16/2017 postreply 16:17:59

我支持哈佛给高成绩。藤校生本来基本都是尖子生,为什么要给人家低成绩?藤校不是培养书呆子的地方,为什么要用分压学生? -6degrees- 给 6degrees 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/16/2017 postreply 16:16:29

C学生当CEO、当总统;B学生得牛B奖;A学生给人打工。还不说明问题?学校里学的东西基本没用。藤校生应该注重的是 -6degrees- 给 6degrees 发送悄悄话 (266 bytes) () 10/16/2017 postreply 16:38:43

昨天的例子,这样会得F吗? -BeLe- 给 BeLe 发送悄悄话 BeLe 的博客首页 (114 bytes) () 10/16/2017 postreply 16:39:32

芝大有名的难啊 -greenoasis- 给 greenoasis 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/16/2017 postreply 18:22:38

明明写的是C+, 居然被你看成C-. -czhz- 给 czhz 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/16/2017 postreply 17:03:00

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”