Turbo时代来了:4-cylinder American muscle cars

来源: soccer88 2016-08-23 23:14:57 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (8577 bytes)

The time for 4-cylinder American muscle cars has arrived

The lightest version of the 2016 Camaro, powered by a four-cylinder engine, weighs 3,333 pounds. Photo credit: RICHARD TRUETT

DEATH VALLEY, Calif. -- I’m flashing through the desert under a cool and cloudless sky on the way to a little speck-of-dust town called Furnace Creek. State Route 190 is nearly empty. It’s just me out here with this four-cylinder, turbocharged 2016 Chevrolet Camaro.

I can drive as fast I want -- and I do -- for brief periods. I don’t have any desire to attract members of the law enforcement community. The reasons for a few brief dips into triple-digit speeds is because I need to decide once and for all if a four-cylinder engine is really man enough to be planted under the hood of traditional American sports cars.

The answer is yes.

In the new Camaro and the revamped Ford Mustang, the four-cylinder turbo engines are more than adequate. In fact, they point the way to the future.

Although sports cars and muscle cars are small potatoes, saleswise, they still have to contribute their fair share to an automaker’s fleet average fuel economy. All automakers must meet the 54.5 mpg fuel economy standard by 2025.

But improved fuel economy is not the only or even the best reason for installing four-cylinder engines in place of V-6 and V-8 motors in Camaros and Mustangs.

The lightest version of the 2016 Camaro is the model powered by a four-cylinder engine. It weighs 3,333 pounds, according to Camaro chief engineer Al Oppenheiser. The lightest Mustang is powered by a 2.3-liter four, and it weighs 3,524 pounds.

In addition to the lower weight, smaller engines also have other advantages. They can be placed farther behind the front axle to help a car get closer to the optimal 50/50 weight distribution. Lighter, better-balanced cars handle better, which makes them faster around corners. And, because brakes have a stronger bite when weight is reduced, smaller engines can improve safety by shortening stopping distances.

“The performance of the Camaro 2.0-liter turbo will challenge many of the iconic muscle cars of the ’60s,” Oppenheiser says. “It dives into corners quicker,” he adds.

The three engines available in Chevrolet's Camaro.

Chevrolet says the 275-hp, 2.0-liter Camaro hits 60 mph in 5.4 seconds, while the 3.6-liter V-6 model makes the 60-mph run in 5.1 seconds. The 455-hp Camaro SS needs just 4.0 seconds to hit 60 mph.

I drove all three versions during a Chevrolet press event here, and it was the four-cylinder car that I most wanted to drive home. While the other cars were fun to drive, the 2.0-liter car did indeed feel lightest on its feet and more balanced.

When an automaker launches a new car, the moment it goes out the door, work begins on the next generation. The current Camaro, Mustang and Dodge Challenger were built around the V-8. But as the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger evolve -- and continue losing weight -- I can see the V-8 engine fading into the history books. It won’t be needed.

The next Challenger, which is expected to be based on the Alfa Romeo Guilia platform, likely won’t offer a V-8, probably just a beefy turbo V-6 and a powerful four-cylinder. And while that may be a huge disappointment to fans of the 707-hp Hellcat engine, power isn’t the only measurement that matters. The power-to-weight ratio is a big part of the whole equation.

Maybe that’s why Ford chose a twin-turbo V-6 for the GT supercar, not a V-8. Ford engineers designed a lightweight and compact (60-degree) V-6 that could deliver the same or more power than a V-8 and keep the weight off.

“Twin-turbos give [the engine] lots of power-density for its compact size, and less weight improves nearly every performance dynamic -- handling, acceleration and braking,” says Ford spokesman Paul Seredynski.

By the way, the Camaro 2.0-liter has an EPA fuel economy rating of 31 mpg highway. Despite leaving wear marks in the carpet under the accelerator pedal in nearly 200 miles of high-speed driving, I still achieved a respectable 29 mpg. The age of small, powerful engines in American sports cars is finally here.

Makes you wonder what General Motors is thinking of putting under the hood of the next-generation Corvette.

You can reach Richard Truett at rtruett@crain.com

所有跟帖: 

是不是turbo容易自燃? -RoseBuilder- 给 RoseBuilder 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 08/24/2016 postreply 06:13:44

不是 -soccer88- 给 soccer88 发送悄悄话 soccer88 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/24/2016 postreply 08:19:43

据说某些部件温度很高,可以看到烧红的金属。如果油品漏出来。。。。。。 -RoseBuilder- 给 RoseBuilder 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 08/24/2016 postreply 08:23:20

排气管了 -soccer88- 给 soccer88 发送悄悄话 soccer88 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/24/2016 postreply 08:35:02

无论在哪,如果正好什么地方漏油(撞车或故障)是不是就会着火? -RoseBuilder- 给 RoseBuilder 发送悄悄话 (96 bytes) () 08/24/2016 postreply 09:46:23

起火三要素:油气浓度,温度,打火点。缺一不可。 -hello2002- 给 hello2002 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 08/24/2016 postreply 09:50:16

嗯,有道理,三样都凑齐是不太容易。街上开的车也不都着火不是? -RoseBuilder- 给 RoseBuilder 发送悄悄话 (163 bytes) () 08/25/2016 postreply 06:19:42

我们见到的起火还是挺多的。 -hello2002- 给 hello2002 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 08/25/2016 postreply 09:38:34

turbo body 是很热的甚至会发红所以有人建议停发动机前有30秒的冷却期 -oldman8- 给 oldman8 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 08/24/2016 postreply 11:50:03

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”