little thought on VP debate

来源: 也潜水 2008-10-03 10:37:35 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2592 bytes)
Let me first identify myself as conservative leaning independent.
Most people's feeling regarding last night's VP debate reflects a deep partisan mind set. I am not blaming you on that account, since most of us are and election is an emotional process. The issue one cares is so deeply different than the other side, and the fundamental philosophy one holds for life and economy is also drastically different. One tend to ignor the valid point in the candidate that he supports and applaudes on niche in every detail they want to hear from the candidate he doesn't. In that aspect, unless it's a train wreck or serious personality flaw, debate won't usually change people's mind.
I personally think they both did quite well, in the aspect of beating expectation. The VP debate, is largely the public's opportunity to test Palin again, so it is more about her than is about Sen Biden. It is unfair to both say that she sure will flunk it, and when she didn't, say because the bar is set too low. You filed her in a lose-lose category in you dictionary before the game even began. In that sense, you were not really watching the debate, you were only watching so you can celebrate her failure. Palin is less experienced just as Obama is, putting aside the difference on issues, she showed her capability of learning and playing on a national stage in such a short of period of time. On every question she was fielded, she provided answers along with analysis. She might have made mistake of Ahganistan field commander's name, but don't forget that couple weeks ago Senior Senator Biden said President Roosevelt went on TV to encourage people in 1929 when the stock market crashed. First, Hoover was the president then, secondly, there is no TV in 1929. My point is that, knowing every facts correctly doesn't make you a great president, it is the thought pattern and ability to utilized people around you that matters. Biden also did quite well, he didn't make the same mistake that wrecked his three previous presidential run. He did not open his mouth wide and made verbal war out of the debate. he appeared to be adequately knowledgeable, he also appeared gracious that people fear is lacking in him.
People complained how racism or sexism harmed Obama and Palin, but the truth is, if they were both white male, neither of them would have received any attention as a junior senator who doesn't have major legislative achievement and a junior governor from a remote state. They both benefitted tremendously from their racial and gender background.

所有跟帖: 

and both Obama and Palin look good too :) -rabbi-jyl- 给 rabbi-jyl 发送悄悄话 (131 bytes) () 10/03/2008 postreply 10:46:31

Good points. -internuts- 给 internuts 发送悄悄话 internuts 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/03/2008 postreply 11:04:16

except Obama is a deep thinker, Palin is a puppy controlled by h -秋色满院- 给 秋色满院 发送悄悄话 (340 bytes) () 10/03/2008 postreply 11:35:28

所以我觉得她的thinking连作州长都觉得太嫩。O没有这种感觉。 -yiqi- 给 yiqi 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/03/2008 postreply 12:37:39

equal negotiation with surrender is stupid -秋色满院- 给 秋色满院 发送悄悄话 (438 bytes) () 10/03/2008 postreply 11:50:27

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”