Non-stick pan and health risk

来源: weston 2006-02-18 07:47:44 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1592 bytes)
There are more talks recently about the safety of using non-stick pan, due to EDA's warning about cancer risk associated with PFOA.

PFOA is used in the manufacturing process of PTFE, the coating material for non-stick pans and commercially called Teflon. PTEF is contained in other products such as Goretex (e.g. water proof snowboots), Scotchgard (spill proof sofa, etc). also It is built in lots of commercial carpet products.

PFOA is then colllected and disposed. Apparently Dupont didn't do properly and the water supply near its Ohio plant was polluted. Hence recently they paid $300mm to settle the case with local residents.

A high quality manufacturer of non-stick pan would do tracing of PFOA and applying a curing process to remove any residue. A frying pan from such a manufacturer should be safe, as far as PFOA is concerned.

This is not the end of the story. During repeated cooking the coating, may be chipped away and mixed with food and get in the body; the other thing is that PTEF can break-down in very high temperature, like above 600F.

To avoid the above, again it's important to choose a high quality non-stick pan so chipping does not happen with normal wear/tear. And never overheat non-stick pan. Cooking oils of all types have smoke points in the range of 400F-480F, so don't wait too long to start cooking after you see smoke coming out.

With these cautionary steps, the health risk factor should be significantly reduced.

When I get a chance I'll write about my experience searching for a perfect pan.
请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”