刚看到的推:What are some horror stories about attending UC Berkeley?

来源: wzg69 2019-05-20 16:16:43 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (8025 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ wzg69 ] 在 2019-05-20 16:18:53 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-horror-stories-about-attending-UC-Berkeley

这帮人中学没学物理?

1. Getting my first “F” in my life. I was a straight “A” student in high school with a 3.96 GPA (unweighted) and got through the first quarter with a 3.0 GPA. Then I started the Physics 5 series in my second quarter and got a professor who didn’t give any partial credit. Final exams were graded on a curve and at least 50% of your grade (like all Berkeley classes). Because of this, it was hard to know where you stand in the class grade-wise, even if you had a decent midterm exam score. Imagine my shock to see an “F” next to my name on the grading sheet outside of my professor’s office door. I knocked on his door and he happened to be inside. He showed me my final exam and I got a big fat 1 point for putting my name on the front page, far below a passing grade. My friend, also in the class, asked to see his exam and got the exact same score. We got every problem on the final exam wrong. We found out we could re-take the class next quarter and have the “F” replaced in our GPA with the re-taken class grade. The “F” stays on the transcript. I kissed any chance of attending graduate school goodbye at that moment. Epilog: I got an “A” with the re-taken Physics class and briefly got my GPA above 3.0.
  2. Getting my second “F” in my life. I was cruising along getting “A’s” and “B’s” in my classes hoping to get into the Engineering college. I was dumb not signing up to get into the college as an entering freshman because I thought I would get into grad school and do great things as a scientist. In my last sophomore quarter I took the final Physics 5 class in the series (Intro to Relativity and Quantum Mechanics). This class was so different from classical physics that I was immediately lost. This resulted in my second “F” at Berkeley. All my friends who were with me as freshman had already decided to quit Physics and pursue other majors or drop out of UC Berkeley, so I had no one for emotional support. I went into a deep funk wondering if I really belonged at UC Berkeley, especially when retook the class and got a “C”.
  3. Unable to find a marketable major. My application to the Computer Science major was denied, which was my last chance at getting into a program where I could be assured of employment after graduation. The Computer Science department was impacted because the resources to support all the undergraduates were getting overloaded. You can tell because it would take 15 minutes to get a password prompt and another 45 minutes before the login session would time out (this was about the time BSD UNIX 4.2 came out). The department was forced to limit the number of incoming Computer Science majors to 100 per year (or 33 per quarter). After my denial, I had to evaluate which major I have fulfilled the requirements for. Unfortunately, the answer was Physics, where I failed twice.
  4. Being in classes with remarkable students. Ever been in a class where there is one guy or girl that is just insanely outstanding that they get perfect grades, even on really hard tests? That was me in high school. Now imagine about 200 of those students in your class. Now I know how the rest of my high school classmates felt with me. I should explain that there are three levels of freshman/sophomore Physics classes; Introductory for pre-meds, Standard for engineers and scientists, and Honors for those insanely smart kids. I went to my first junior level Physics class and the professor asked how many students were from the Honors Physics series. 75% of the students raised their hands and I muttered some words that can’t be repeated here. I took me one week to work out one problem out of five from the homework. These guys/girls completed their homework in one night.
  5. Experiencing educational burnout. During my first and only semester as a Physics major (Berkeley converted from quarter to semester terms during my time there), someone congratulated me on getting into the Computer Science major. I told him I was denied but he told me my name was on the accepted list on the department office door. When I saw my name on the door, I experienced probably my only time of euphoria as a UC Berkeley student. The only reason for this good fortune I can deduce is that some accepted students did not enter the major, leaving space for students like me. My GPA must have been on the borderline of acceptance and denial and I got in. However, after three years of working my ass off to get above average grades only to be denied entrance into impacted majors had me mentally exhausted. The remainder of my time at UC Berkeley was spent accepting “C’s”, biding my time before I got my diploma. Unfortunately, this burnout lasted for another 10 years before I was motivated enough to save my career in software development.
  6. Impacted parking lots. Attending UC Berkeley, you become accustomed to not getting to classes because the departments associated to those classes are impacted. This also applies to the parking situation. Because a lot of students can’t find affordable housing close to campus, many drive to school. If you don’t find a place by 8AM, you are out of luck and need to pay for parking or risk getting a ticket by finding street parking and running to it between classes to feed the meter.
  7. Net result of UC Berkeley “horrors”: A deep respect for the experience. The trials and tribulations I went through at UC Berkeley were painful, both from a mental and physical standpoint. I can’t hear the Campanile bells without some knee jerk reaction to my past feelings of angst. With the passage of time, I’ve come to realize it was a necessary experience for my own personal growth. I had to give up a lot of social interactions (like parties and girlfriends) just to have the singular vision of graduating from UC Berkeley. Once I got the diploma, I was worn out. However, my father, who hardly talks to me besides “small talk”, told me under his breath that he was proud of me. Acquaintances who I meet and ask which school I attended are impressed when I mention UC Berkeley. Years later, I still get calls from recruiters only because of the prestige of the the school. Is it worth it to go through the “meat grinder” called the undergraduate program at UC Berkeley? If it means to see my mom and dad have pride in introducing me to every person that I graduated from UC Berkeley, yes it was worth it.

所有跟帖: 

跟16娃那些牛蛙一起上课,可不就这结果了。好多牛气冲天的普通高中的前几名根本不知道这种大学的数理化可以有多难 -greenoasis- 给 greenoasis 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/20/2019 postreply 16:22:26

两年前早看过了,两年后的体会是因人而异吧。。。 -在大海边- 给 在大海边 发送悄悄话 在大海边 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/20/2019 postreply 16:32:13

this burnout lasted for another 10 years?那是多久以前的事儿:) --百科-- 给 -百科- 发送悄悄话 -百科- 的博客首页 (41 bytes) () 05/20/2019 postreply 16:33:37

本来SAT满分挺值钱的 -wzg69- 给 wzg69 发送悄悄话 wzg69 的博客首页 (117 bytes) () 05/20/2019 postreply 16:46:26

又想马儿好,又想马儿不吃草,有这么便宜的事儿吗? -白色非色- 给 白色非色 发送悄悄话 白色非色 的博客首页 (413 bytes) () 05/20/2019 postreply 16:44:03

为啥要叫大伯,听说ucb很小,校园跟个高中一样 -阿拉拉- 给 阿拉拉 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/20/2019 postreply 16:59:10

ubc在加拿大。 -swj2000- 给 swj2000 发送悄悄话 swj2000 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/20/2019 postreply 17:02:36

UC Berkeley's main campus is roughly 0.4mi by 0.6mi -阿拉拉- 给 阿拉拉 发送悄悄话 (86 bytes) () 05/20/2019 postreply 17:44:27

这个人一定没去过,坐在家里瞎编的,句号 -白色非色- 给 白色非色 发送悄悄话 白色非色 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/20/2019 postreply 17:48:09

别吓唬人了,不信能得F 除非是真没ready被照顾进的 lol -dengGGdeng- 给 dengGGdeng 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/20/2019 postreply 16:51:16

有肯定有。 -swj2000- 给 swj2000 发送悄悄话 swj2000 的博客首页 (108 bytes) () 05/20/2019 postreply 17:02:14

大伯重修有F纪录,S重修嘛记录也没有 -田园景色1230- 给 田园景色1230 发送悄悄话 田园景色1230 的博客首页 (104 bytes) () 05/20/2019 postreply 17:08:48

文体不达标,也没有逆境,呵呵 -dengGGdeng- 给 dengGGdeng 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/20/2019 postreply 17:15:12

AA进去的? -锦衣卫- 给 锦衣卫 发送悄悄话 锦衣卫 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/20/2019 postreply 17:12:10

每个学校都有AA,为嘛私校的AA不用这样受苦? -田园景色1230- 给 田园景色1230 发送悄悄话 田园景色1230 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/20/2019 postreply 17:14:01

他自己要受的,没看他说他的朋友全都转专业甚至转学校了?他自己比较爱吃苦,不怨学校:) --百科-- 给 -百科- 发送悄悄话 -百科- 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/20/2019 postreply 17:16:07

也对,吃得苦中苦,方为人上人 -田园景色1230- 给 田园景色1230 发送悄悄话 田园景色1230 的博客首页 (53 bytes) () 05/20/2019 postreply 17:18:00

好的私校没有政府硬性规定的AA比例,差的私校为了生源也烂招 -锦衣卫- 给 锦衣卫 发送悄悄话 锦衣卫 的博客首页 (134 bytes) () 05/20/2019 postreply 17:20:18

这是什么年代的?Berkeley 还是quarter system? -Jin1768- 给 Jin1768 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/20/2019 postreply 17:36:00

藤校和私校也有不少quarter制的 -锦衣卫- 给 锦衣卫 发送悄悄话 锦衣卫 的博客首页 (251 bytes) () 05/20/2019 postreply 17:46:00

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”