IT Total Compensation by Title
What is your total annual compensation (base salary and any bonuses)?
Which of the following best describes your job title?
Note: Median rounded dollar amounts
Data: InformationWeek 2018 US IT Salary Survey of 1,800 IT professionals
CIO/CTO or other IT executive $185,000 $170,000
Vice president, IT $155,000 $150,000
CSO (chief security officer)/security management $155,000 $150,000
Architect $140,000 $135,000
Program manager/project manager $115,000 $110,000
Software/web developer $115,000 $110,000
Director/manager, IT, networking, or infrastructure $105,000 $100,000
IT supervisor $95,000 $90,000
Programmer/analyst $85,000 $85,000
Systems analyst $80,000 $80,000
IT staff $75,000 $70,000
Help desk $55,000 $55,000
2018 Median Total Compensation/2017 Median Total Compensation
Interop and InformationWeek 2018 Salary Survey
1,800 information technology (IT) professionals employed in the U.S. The margin of error for the total
respondent base (N=1,800) is +/-2.3 percentage points.
• Median salaries increased by $5,000 for both managers and staff, although staff pay still trails the all-time high set in 2014.
• 84% of U.S. technology workers are male, and they earn about $20,000 more than their female colleagues.
• More than half of IT professionals have employer health insurance plans and 401(k) match plans; other types of benefits are
• 59% of respondents were satisfied or very satisfied with their jobs; only 17% were dissatisfied or very dissatisfied.
• More than half of tech workers received company-paid training last year.
• Managers are looking for a challenge; staffers want solid pay and benefits.
• Only 9% of respondents believe their jobs are insecure.
• 66% of respondents say outsourcing has not impacted their careers, but 67% listed outsourcing as a threat to their jobs.
• 47% of respondents are planning to beef up their security skills this year.
• 71% of respondents have worked for only one or two employers.