回复:赫赫, 下午都在陪小娃溜冰,和一个中国妈妈聊天,

来源: zzz123 2012-12-31 20:02:46 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1848 bytes)

Don't know what to make of this kind of situation but I am not sure one can generalize as far as ABCs are concerned.

My employer (100,000+ employees) is actually big on diversity, i.e. they have a fairly large number of African Americans, Latinos, and white women in VP/SVP ranks and a few Indians got into SVP positions recently. The issue with East Asians (Chinese, Koreans etc.) here appears to be the lack of depth among the mid and senior managers.Currently there are a small handful of Chinese on the VP level, and none of us are ABCs. Instead, we were all late/mid-80's graduates from Qinghua or Beida - it's kind of hard to break through the rigid corporate hierarchy in a large American conglomerate for a 1st generation immigrant from China, regardless how technically qualified he/she is otherwise. We are simply not as strong in some of the "soft" skills as our American collegues, and cannot build as many useful social connections and networks, if we are not familiar with rules and lores of baseball and football, cannot recall scenes in old cult movies and call out facts about the 80's rock bands. Heck, we actually read Chinese websites like "wenwuecity" and watch CCTV for entertainment. That said, I am at peace with where I am and who I am, and it is what it is.

Regarding ABCs, I have yet to meet one that is Ivy educated and has the drive and experience to break into the junior executive level, let alone the senior and C-level leadership in my company. However the dearth of promising ABCs might be specific to our industry today and things will get better. I am hopeful about the prospects of my kids' generation.. When it comes to climbing the corporate ladder, I personally believe an Ivy education (also as a selection process) would help, as opposed to hinder their progress.

所有跟帖: 

回复:回复:赫赫, 下午都在陪小娃溜冰,和一个中国妈妈聊天,good writing. -zephyr2012- 给 zephyr2012 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 12/31/2012 postreply 22:07:16

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”