THE STORY OF A MILLION YEARS

来源: 北维春色 2007-02-13 14:56:03 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1852 bytes)
“The acclaimed poet and story writer David Huddle weaves a masterly portrait of two couples and their shared histories, desires, and secrets. Marcy, Allen, Uta, Jimmy -- each becomes the hero of his or her own story, as all mine the past for evidence of goodness. David Huddle moves with remarkable agility from the imagination of a precocious adolescent girl, to the fears of a man in midlife, to the longings of a wife whose reserve cloaks aching depths. Each of these convincing voices asks the questions central to all our lives: What stories are so important that you'd never reveal them to another person in a million years? How do secrets come to define us, for better or for worse? Honest, accomplished, and wonderfully subtle, THE STORY OF A MILLION YEARS portrays the basic human desire to love and be loved unconditionally.” (From The Wall Street Journal).

It is another snowing day. It is only five o'clock, but it is already darkening outside.

I don't feel like going out this evening and decide to read “The Story of a Million Years” again.

I read this story in a rainy day 7 years ago when I lived in Pennsylvania. Several times, I had to put the book down in order to wipe the tears from my face. I cried because I shared each of the characters’ unhappiness, disappointments, and unfulfilled dreams. I felt that I was listening to my own friends, the friends who were no longer in my life, telling me about their life stories and secrets and why they did this or that which had hurt me at that time. At last I could understand them, I could forgive them, and I could love them despite their failings. Don't we all have some small secrets that we would never reveal to another person in a million years? However, we still yearn to be understood, to be accepted, to be loved, and to be cherished.

所有跟帖: 

许多动人的故事隐藏着不知名人物的传奇,许多故事包含着未完成的美梦 -姑娘爱结网- 给 姑娘爱结网 发送悄悄话 姑娘爱结网 的博客首页 (70 bytes) () 02/13/2007 postreply 23:37:20

谢谢斑竹!不是情人不泪流啊。 -北维春色- 给 北维春色 发送悄悄话 北维春色 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/14/2007 postreply 05:24:15

谢谢分享. -开心豆豆- 给 开心豆豆 发送悄悄话 开心豆豆 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/14/2007 postreply 07:32:53

谢谢斑竹,能与爱读书的网友在书坛交流是我此生一幸。 (图) -北维春色- 给 北维春色 发送悄悄话 北维春色 的博客首页 (104 bytes) () 02/14/2007 postreply 08:31:18

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”