普林斯顿的eating clubs有多难进?小中有份吗?

来源: greenoasis 2020-03-15 18:57:47 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (18282 bytes)

Money Matters: My Journey Through Princeton

Civic Nation
  •  
  •  
  •  

The worst grade I have ever gotten was a C in writing when I was in fifth grade. I have never forgotten the day I brought that report card home. Boy, was my mother angry! She relentlessly told my sisters and me that we had to get good grades.

As a fifth grader, I never questioned my mother—her words were law. It wasn’t until my father was deported that I understood that good grades were a necessity. I had been brought to the United States to study and anything short of a bachelor’s degree would be letting my family’s sacrifices be in vain. I also knew that my mother could not contribute financially at all to my or my sister’s college education. I would have to get scholarships and that meant no more C’s or even B’s, ever. 

My father's absence hit us hard and my family dealt with it in different ways. I indulged my life with books and sports. If I wasn’t in the library reading, I was in the gym putting up some shots on the basketball court. Through grit, hard work, and the grace of God, I found Leadership Enterprise for a Diverse America (LEDA). With the help and support of LEDA, I was accepted into the Princeton Class of 2021. 

A large part of why I decided to attend Princeton was the generous financial aid package that I received and the programs it had to help low-income students. My journey through Princeton, however, has been an adjustment. Funds granted to students from the university are only accessible once classes start and it can take up to a week longer for students to get access to these funds. The problem is that students move-in, get syllabi, and are expected to buy materials up to a week before classes start. Because I depend on this money for school, I often do not have books, notebooks, and dorm essentials at the beginning of every semester. This means that I usually have twice as much reading to complete during the first weekend of classes,because it is not until the first week is almost over that I have my books. 

Fall move-in is particularly hard, because I usually move in a week before classes start, and then have to wait an additional week for funds, leaving me with two weeks of little food. This past fall, I managed to survive a week off of a bag of bagels and honey. Everyone says, “I’m broke,” but it feels more trendy than realistic. Broke is obsessively checking your bank account to see if you can afford an outing. Broke is stepping away to call your sisters to Venmo you money so that you can afford food for the week. Broke is being conscious of every dollar that goes in and out of your bank account.

In addition to struggling to meet basic needs, attempting to fit into an elite college can be a challenge. Social life at Princeton revolves around eating clubs, which are similar to fraternities and sororities. They are social clubs housed in mansions on the edge of campus, and in addition to a place to eat, they are the center of most of the social life at Princeton. Membership varies per club, ranging from $8,900 to $10,450. While some clubs have made efforts to be more inclusive to low-income students, and financial aid packages cover a part of the costs, these spaces are inherently filled with elitism. They are spaces that do not consider me worthy— spaces in which I do not feel like I belong. I cannot imagine having the ability to spend upwards of $10,000 on meals and social benefits, when this compromises a significant portion of my family’s income. If you choose to not participate in eating club culture—because of the cost, exclusivity, and unwelcome environment—you are inundated with reminders on social media that you weren’t there. 

While it might seem like an optional social aspect of college—your network matters. If you connect with peers and alumni through eating clubs, you have access to internships, jobs, and other things that can bolster your career. If you don’t, it’s an added layer of things you don’t have in common with your peers. This only further perpetuates feelings of loneliness on campus knowing it is a shared experience for many students and alumni that I will never be a part of. While other colleges might not have hyper-elite spaces like eating clubs, students like me are sent messages that they don’t belong in other ways. However, it doesn’t have to be like this because we DO belong.  I know that I bring immense value to this campus and the broader Princeton community.

Here’s my recommendation for how colleges can take steps to make it easier for students like me to transition through college: 

1. Make funds available to students one week before the start of classes. This will allow students to have enough time to buy any necessary materials to prepare for classes without getting behind.  
  2. Create and have food pantries available for students throughout the semester and especially during key dates like move-in, start of the term, and breaks.
  3. Recognize elite and exclusive spaces on your campus and find ways to be more inclusive for all students. At the very least, create better alternatives. Alternatives should target access to social and career networks, which members of exclusive memberships benefit from, but low-income students often get left out from.

Jessica Cobian is a rising junior at Princeton University, majoring in Political Science. Jessica’s family immigrated to the United States from Mexico, and she grew up in…

所有跟帖: 

你娃在P? -xuhuiqu- 给 xuhuiqu 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2020 postreply 19:27:56

都畢業在投行了 -violinpiano- 给 violinpiano 发送悄悄话 (177 bytes) () 03/15/2020 postreply 19:34:27

哦,那恭喜牛蛙妈! -xuhuiqu- 给 xuhuiqu 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2020 postreply 19:36:31

提前一周搬进宿舍,靠一袋bagel度日,假期不能打工挣点钱吗? -数与形- 给 数与形 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2020 postreply 19:07:42

我也奇怪这个。她暑假怎么活?就不能存点钱够两个星期吃饭的?超市买点三明治材料也行啊 -greenoasis- 给 greenoasis 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2020 postreply 19:12:51

看着让人为她着急,她那专业毕业好找工作吗?要是去读法学院也能拿到全额资助吗? -数与形- 给 数与形 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2020 postreply 19:14:13

她这种一路都是绿灯。毕业也是香饽饽。见过这样的AA生学工程?都是学政治学各种studies -greenoasis- 给 greenoasis 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2020 postreply 19:19:32

靠leadership进去,却连填饱肚子的事都不会做,真是讽刺啊 -数与形- 给 数与形 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2020 postreply 19:21:05

也許人家會說暑假賺的錢都貢獻家裏了 -violinpiano- 给 violinpiano 发送悄悄话 (177 bytes) () 03/15/2020 postreply 19:35:20

学校规定要提前一周搬进宿舍,而且期间不能打工吗?还是拿资助的学生不准打工? -数与形- 给 数与形 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2020 postreply 19:37:37

info session俺专门问过这个问题,看学生自己的选择!跟以前的eating club不一样了! -xuhuiqu- 给 xuhuiqu 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2020 postreply 19:08:33

是一天三顿都去club吃还是一周只去一两次? -数与形- 给 数与形 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2020 postreply 19:11:03

全校有多大比例的人参与这个?吃的真比食堂好吗? -数与形- 给 数与形 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2020 postreply 19:15:00

主要是一个社交圈子吧?志同道合的凑一块 -数与形- 给 数与形 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2020 postreply 19:22:10

前提得先进了大学. -小团圆- 给 小团圆 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2020 postreply 19:14:27

你就不能假定人家先进了P? -xuhuiqu- 给 xuhuiqu 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2020 postreply 19:15:17

我家不用想。我就是看了这篇好奇这事。 -greenoasis- 给 greenoasis 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2020 postreply 19:16:07

反正进不难。进去后可能有不同options。 -xuhuiqu- 给 xuhuiqu 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2020 postreply 19:17:32

也是。 -小团圆- 给 小团圆 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2020 postreply 19:16:39

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!