【听歌练听力】the easy way ;-): "Northwest Passage"

来源: 最西边的岛上 2024-05-22 05:48:04 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (12495 bytes)
Northwest Passage, as seen in the picture of the wikipedia page, is the sea lane between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans through the Arctic Ocean, along the northern coast of North America via waterways through the Arctic Archipelago of Canada.  

"Northwest Passage" is one of the best-known songs by Canadian musician Stan RogersAn a cappella song, it features Rogers alone singing the verses, with several guest vocalists harmonizing with him in the chorus.

The song recalls the history of early explorers who were trying to discover a route across Canada to the Pacific Ocean (especially Sir John Franklinwho lost his life in the quest for the Northwest Passage).  And the song's central theme is a comparison between the journeys of these past explorers and the singer's own journey across Canada.

I put the full and very interesting lyrics below, so you can relax and focus on listening to the beautiful song, and check wth the lyrics if you like.  Enjoy!

Ah, for just one time I would take the Northwest Passage To find the hand of Franklin reaching for the Beaufort Sea Tracing one warm line through a land so wild and savage And make a Northwest Passage to the sea
Westward from the Davis Strait 'tis there 'twas said to lie The sea route to the Orient for which so many died Seeking gold and glory, leaving weathered, broken bones And a long-forgotten lonely cairn of stones
Ah, for just one time I would take the Northwest Passage To find the hand of Franklin reaching for the Beaufort Sea Tracing one warm line through a land so wild and savage And make a Northwest Passage to the sea
Three centuries thereafter, I take passage overland In the footsteps of brave Kelsey, where his Sea of Flowers began Watching cities rise before me, then behind me sink again This tardiest explorer, driving hard across the plain
And through the night, behind the wheel, the mileage clicking west I think upon Mackenzie, David Thompson and the rest Who cracked the mountain ramparts and did show a path for me To race the roaring Fraser to the sea
How then am I so different from the first men through this way? Like them, I left a settled life, I threw it all away To seek a Northwest Passage at the call of many men To find there but the road back home again
Source: Musixmatch

所有跟帖: 

第一个verse重复5遍啊。现在的歌曲短多了 -妖妖灵- 给 妖妖灵 发送悄悄话 妖妖灵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/22/2024 postreply 07:43:28

我听歌读诗看书画主要只是凭感觉享受,对规矩们基本一窍不通而且没有学习规矩欲望;) 所以好听就行,如再有故事就更好了;) -最西边的岛上- 给 最西边的岛上 发送悄悄话 最西边的岛上 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/22/2024 postreply 08:27:25

觉得重复是强调的意思吧,因为历史上多次有人在那条通道冒险丧命的!比如第一个verse提到的Franklin -最西边的岛上- 给 最西边的岛上 发送悄悄话 最西边的岛上 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/22/2024 postreply 08:53:21

Learned 'cairn' and 'rampart.' Thank you. -7grizzly- 给 7grizzly 发送悄悄话 7grizzly 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/22/2024 postreply 21:49:55

U R welcome! :-) -最西边的岛上- 给 最西边的岛上 发送悄悄话 最西边的岛上 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/23/2024 postreply 06:27:02

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”