Eileen Gu: Born and raised in America, skiing for China

来源: 心存善念 2022-01-31 16:31:47 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (4338 bytes)

“I’m an athlete, so I just do what I love and try to tell my own story,” freestyle skier Eileen Gu said. (Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)

COPPER MOUNTAIN, Colo. — At 18 years old, Eileen Gu is already accomplished in a way few will ever be in their entire lifetimes. She is the world’s top female freestyle skier, the world champion in the halfpipe and slopestyle, third in big air, with an excellent chance to win gold in all three events at the Beijing Olympics.

She also is a professional model, represented by one of the most prestigious agencies. Louis Vuitton and Tiffany & Co. have built campaigns around her. Last year, she graduated early from acclaimed San Francisco University High. In a few months, she will enroll at Stanford. She speaks both English and Mandarin and plays the piano. Her SAT score is reported to be 1580.

She could be America’s next big Olympic star … if only she wasn’t competing for China.

In June 2019, Gu, whose mother was born in China and whose father is from the United States, announced her intentions in an Instagram post. In the post, Gu, who was born and raised in San Francisco and did most of her ski training near Lake Tahoe, wrote that she hoped “to unite people, promote common understanding [and] create communication.”

Gu’s decision was met with elation in China, where she is now famous, celebrated in commercials, on bus stop advertisements and across the covers of Chinese versions of Vogue, Elle and InStyle. She has endorsement deals there with a list of firms that includes the Bank of China, China Mobile and milk company Mengniu.

“She’s going to be as big as Yao Ming was,” said Jeff Ruffolo, a former Olympic volleyball broadcaster and publicist who has spent the past two decades working for China’s sports events, referring to the country’s first NBA star. “These Olympics are going to be her NBA.”

(washingtonpost)

所有跟帖: 

Born in the USA -Marauders- 给 Marauders 发送悄悄话 (237 bytes) () 01/31/2022 postreply 17:12:37

love the Boss -心存善念- 给 心存善念 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/31/2022 postreply 17:16:04

She is just fabulous! -何仙姑- 给 何仙姑 发送悄悄话 何仙姑 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/31/2022 postreply 17:52:12

A splendid star! -妖妖灵- 给 妖妖灵 发送悄悄话 妖妖灵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/31/2022 postreply 19:07:30

恭喜善念。首页进来,谢谢网管,Eileen Gu: Born and raised in America, skiing for -梅雨潭- 给 梅雨潭 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 02/01/2022 postreply 20:07:19

她才18岁。并不真的了解中国,觉得被她中国出生的妈妈洗脑了, -woyawoya- 给 woyawoya 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 02/02/2022 postreply 08:02:52

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”