太想不到了--那么你们女儿的舞蹈老师穿的就是Celestial 的鞋。 这个小伙子有福气

来源: 糯米粥 2020-10-28 07:56:01 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 0 次 (1434 bytes)
回答: An American Marriage 我给四星。lepton2020-10-27 19:49:56

关于Celestial and Roy ,我挺喜欢作者的这段理解: 
https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2018/02/08/cant-cry-nobody-cries-interview-tayari-jones/

采访者:  Do you think Celestial and Roy are operating on different definitions of what it means or should mean to love?

作者回答: I think that what love costs them is different. Roy believes in love, but it costs Roy nothing to continue to be devoted to Celestial. Not only does it cost him nothing, it gives him his emotional anchor. But for her to continue to be devoted to him, it costs her a lot. Sometimes people say to me, I just think Celestial is selfish. If Celestial is selfish, then Roy’s selfish. Is it more selfish to want someone to give you their life, or is it more selfish to want your own life? I think they’re equally self-interested. I just think that Celestial’s self-interest is kind of shocking in a way that Roy’s is not. As a matter of fact, sometimes I ask people, So what is Roy presenting to her in these negotiations? And most people had never considered that something should be offered to Celestial. They’d never considered it. Never.

所有跟帖: 

说实话,我不愿意这本书的着力点是mass incarceration,也不愿意只从种族的论点来看。 -lepton- 给 lepton 发送悄悄话 lepton 的博客首页 (892 bytes) () 10/28/2020 postreply 11:33:48

尖锐的反问一下--描写出理想国才是作者的突破吗? 写出读者本来无法理解的事物, 让读者共情,这岂不是更要功力? -糯米粥- 给 糯米粥 发送悄悄话 糯米粥 的博客首页 (747 bytes) () 10/28/2020 postreply 13:15:48

当然不是理想国。我指的突破,是希望看到作者,不光是Jones, -lepton- 给 lepton 发送悄悄话 lepton 的博客首页 (359 bytes) () 10/28/2020 postreply 16:19:41

看到了!有意思也有道理的角度!今天跟你聊的真开心,以后有缘又来聊读书 -糯米粥- 给 糯米粥 发送悄悄话 糯米粥 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/28/2020 postreply 19:05:27

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”