Very good points! Just add a few comments

When somebody not in your power communication loop does not speak to you in a respectful manner, you may, depending on the degree of that offence and circumstance:

1. Act like you didn’t hear it and the person didn’t exit, and you proceed with whatever you intent to say (likely on the different topic/direction). This works well in the group setting. The disrespectful behaviour does not deserve your response and it’s good to let other people to see it (about you and the other person).
2. Say something like: I’m afraid what you are suggesting is just useless and waste of our time, unless you speak to xxx. You know I report to xxx, don’t you?
3. In the more overt case, say something like: That’s rude and unprofessional. I’m afraid that I will have to report to my boss and human resource.

When your boss does not speak to you in a respectful manner, you may say something like: xxx, you know what you just said is rude and unprofessional. I’m very disappointed.

If you believe that your boss is asking you to do something that is not right, you may say something like: Based on the information and argument I just presented, I disagree with what you suggested. Since you are my boss, I’ll go ahead with your decision.

The relationship with your boss is not built in one day. When a boss becomes rude to a subordinate, very likely things have been already accumulated and tolerated for a period of time. It says a lot about his or her understanding of your character and your value in his or her eyes in the company. If your boss does not like you, chronically, generally there is no point to report to anyone else and it should be the time to move on to somewhere else.

(Please ignore the use of pronouns in this writing since no intention is being made to judging male or female bosses or to disrespectfully dictate a particular action upon readers.)

所有跟帖: 

Yes, Sir! -ntking- 给 ntking 发送悄悄话 (2 bytes) () 05/09/2008 postreply 13:20:01

Thanks, you said something in my mind first. -戏雨飞鹰- 给 戏雨飞鹰 发送悄悄话 (40 bytes) () 05/10/2008 postreply 10:28:00

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!