七夕快樂

来源: 2011-08-06 02:20:32 [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读:

七夕快樂

One day when we were buying groceries in a Chinese supermarket, we bumped into a lady who used to own a Chinese restaurant. I introduced my wife to her. The nice lady, in her early fifties, said warmly, “You are so beautiful! Your hu*****and used to a regular at my restaurant. He seemed quite lonely in the past. He’s lucky to have you!” I felt happy, and also slightly embarrassed at such a remark…

I still remember those days when I ate dinner alone. I usually went to her restaurant with a copy of a free local Chinese newspaper, for eating alone occasionally made me uncomfortably self-conscious
. I flipped the pages, and skimmed those self-congratulatory awards and parties of the local Chinese "celebrities" – while chewing the greasy food. Reading those stories, I liked to entertain myself smugly with a theory that monophobia, or fear of loneliness, within the marginalized immigrant community was the driving force behind all the fuss... Well, when I was supposedly reading other people's "loneliness", I never suspected the hostess actually looked through the newspaper, and witnessed my solitude.

But those days are gone. The restaurant was closed. I don’t dine alone any more. I don't eat any greasy food. I don’t read the local Chinese newspaper either (the ink stain on fingers is not healthy anyway). It’s all because of my wife... Thank you, dear! 有妳真好!

"Love Will Keep Us Alive" by Eagles

I was standing
All alone against the world outside
You were searching
For a place to hide
Lost and lonely
Now you've given me the will to survive
When we're hungry, love will keep us alive

Don't you worry
Sometimes you've just gotta let it ride
The world is changing
Right before your eyes