Under the Milky Way 9: From Logrono to Najera

来源: 1000_li_xing 2024-03-22 08:41:10 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (44142 bytes)

June 6th, Day 9, to Najera, 28 km or so. A comfortable morning, about 52 degrees fahrenheit, and 11 degrees celsius. The forecast reminded us that the high temperature would be in its 70s, about 26 degrees celsius. The trail map showed that today’s hike would be a little challenging. I’d better plan accordingly. This was the 3rd day that I had transported my luggage ahead to the albergue for the night. There were companies providing such services, 6 euros each time.  

(Image compiled from Google Images and Buen Camino App)

“Buen Camino!”  Such greetings could be seen in many places along the Way. It was so heart-warming and encouraging to the walkers! This one was on a park bench. How creative!  

(A Google image)

It was a super special day today. The man I took the heart and time to look for many years ago is still standing by my side, “for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health ... to love, honor, and cherish…” Long ago, when I thought of my aging feeble future years, I had envisioned in my golden age sitting on a park bench with this special someone, looking at amazing sunsets, gazing at the galaxy wishing upon stars,,, So all these years, he has been the one accompanying me at sunsets, under the Milky Way... Boundless thanks to the one who has been there for me, in sickness, in health, for laziness, for grumpiness, for worse and for better… Life is short, living takes learning. I have had the fortune and privilege to be with someone who has been willing to accept who I am and who I’m still striving to be, would it be the greatest blessings from Heaven? At times, I would think of the wedding vows, but in reality, smooth happy days can be amazing, and life can be dandy, and yet when days get hard and trying, and when "for worse", "for poorer", and "in sickness" are challenging us to our core, then what might get us through? Faith? A strong open mind? A reliable network? God’s blessings? 

6:30am, out walking. It turned out to be a tough task to find our way out of Logrono. The city was relatively big, the signs were not easy to spot. One wrong turn might result in an extra walk for some time. Thus we walked together, all eyes wide open, then we were out of the city. Easy peasy. 

As I kept an eye on the arrows and shells while walking, I enjoyed the roadside arts and the ultra fresh morning air.

Close to 9am, I got to a water-filling station. A gentleman had his van trunk open, and had all kinds of knick knacks for sale – snacks, drinks, souvenirs… I bought a banana for one euro, got a stamp, and continued on my Way.

Today’s distance would be a bit further than the day before, the weather hot. Part of the walk would be near a noisy highway. 

On the barbed-wire fence hung many handmade crosses with whatever materials found nearby. The cross-creators, I read, were also wish-makers. In their minds, bore burdens, loving thoughts of special people in their lives in need of blessings, extra and special TLCs, and/or unconditional moral support. The world is a network of love, understanding, empathy and giving, interconnected by aura, through the media of air, circulated through wind and atmosphere, articulated through crosses and more. The world could be a better, healthier and more cherished place…

I passed by an artist’s station. He had a large collection of colorful wax flakes, and showed us various designs. This 3-D design was from his creation. What impressive artwork! Today IS truly a special day! 

Tribute to the potter, Cuesta del Caño, bronze and cortén steel, work of the sculptor Óscar Cenzano, the church of Santa María de la Asunción, Navarrete, La Rioja (Notation source: Google)

At 10:15am, I came to the town of Navarrete. Population: close to 3,000。

Fountain with "Water Woman" on the Main Square (Plaza Mayor) (Notation source: Google)

So many years, several decades, went by, in the blink of an eye. For this special day in my life – I sat down and stayed quiet for a moment, calmed down, thought and meditated for a moment: be thankful, show gratitude, make a wish or two …

Parish Church of the Assumption of Mary, Navarrete, La Rioja
Church of Santa Maria De la Asuncion

I thought of all my friends who loved flowers like their lives – they are the flower fairies indeed. Far away from home, I saw so many passion fruit blossoms, and began to take pictures. “Are there flower fairies in Spain, along the Camino?” I thought to myself.
I spotted some wall art in the cafe, and became so interested in them – picture-time again…

In every end, there is a beginning.

The world needs people who love what they do.

Small things done with love become big.

About noon time, I was famished, and found a place to stuff myself with tons of sugar and calories – with none of the good, all of the bad. How I regretted the purchase of the pastry – it was so sweet and greasy that I felt sick afterwards!

A cemetery with 12th-century doorway architecture

In the wine country of La Rioja. It was about 1:30pm, hot and toasty outside. I saw no one around. Have all the pilgrims finished their walk of the day – except for me? I sat alone on a bench under a large olive tree by the gate of a vineyard, and came the thoughts –

Birds chirping by the grapevine, 
Pilgrims rushed over for local wine. 
When fun had been had and done,
The “Lord of the Manor” found the drunkards' charm. 

Saw my predecessor’s sculpture. 

There were loads of road signs to direct the way, and I got lost here! It was so hot, and I got lost, and had to walk extra steps, I wanted to scream!! 

A place for shelter, in rain or mighty shine :-)

I got distracted by the beautiful flowers, picturing a photo I might take, showing high definition of the pistils, hopefully with bumble bees pollinating. My phone camera chased the bumblebees for a while, got some pictures without the bees. They teased me to no end today!! ???? 

Arrived! Day 9 of my walk, I reserved a single room for the first time, and got my own bath. What a luxurious end of the day! I must take a long long shower, get a good night's sleep. The thought of all these made me feel like a queen, enjoying the ultimate pampering and luxury!  

After shower and laundry, I went for a food hunt. Got to celebrate today – I finally purchased  Sangria! Meant to get one earlier, but the stores only sold it in large bottles. I found a smaller one today. Into my shopping basket it went. I collected a few other items for today, and went “home.”  What an incredible day today! Cheers!!

Today’s actual distance: 45,324 steps, 21.28 miles, about 34 km. Sending the backpack ahead was great! I began to enjoy this luxury.

Keywords:
Cherish the blessings

更多我的博客文章>>>
请您先登陆,再发跟帖!