Q & A about Alaskan Cruise

来源: wunderlust 2008-06-28 23:32:25 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2501 bytes)
A disclaimer - I have never taken an Alaska cruise or any cruise for that matter. But I have heard enough over the years to give a few suggestions:
1. Just because a cruise ship is big, it does not gurantee smooth sailing. Just because your friends had smooth sailing on their cruise, it does not mean your cruise will be on calm sea. You may still get seasickness. 2 years ago, a relative of mine went on an Alaskan cruise with a major cruise line and on their sail, the sea got so choppy for a couple of days that even some crew got sick. Most of their family stayed in cabin for 2 days because of seasickness. So be prepared.
2. Land excursions: you can go your port of call websites and book from the locals. This will be cheaper than booking from the cruise line. You do take a tiny chance of missing your cruise. However, the locals know how the cruise ships operate and the chances of missing the cruise is pretty small.
3. If you plan to see tidal wave glacier up close and personal, go for smaller cruises as they will be able to get closer to the glaciers than the large boats. If you really want to take a close look at the tidal glaciers, you have to get off your cruise and take a local tour at your port of call. Glacier Bay in my opinion is the best place to see these.
4. Clothing etc.: be sure to have layering and wind breaker. Southeastern Alaska (Inside Passage area) have some of the rainiest areas on earth and you need rain clothing in the high likeliness of rain. And yes, it does rain a lot in summer as well. Depending on the time of year you go and what you do, you may or may not need winter clothing. When I went to Denali in August, I had on me skiing clothes.
5. Strong insect repellent and sun screen are must haves.
6. Doing laundry on cruise from what I heard is quite expensive - so either bring enough underwear or plan to pay for laundry.
7. In case you haven't already heard, most airlines now charge a fee for a second piece of checked luggage. AA charges for any checked luggage. So pack light!

Finally, if I were to take a Alaskan cruise, I would definitely consider taking one along Southeastern Alaska - Ketchken, Skagway, Juneau, etc., simply because the only way to reach this area is by boat or plane since many of these towns are not connected to the outside world by roads! Your cruise fare would be cheaper and easier to plan for this area than taking the Alaskan ferry to the towns named.

Fair winds and have fun!
请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”