Nets trust Jeremy Lin as leader

来源: 农业户 2016-09-21 18:51:05 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3976 bytes)

Nets trust Jeremy Lin as leader – and major knock on him is bogus

By Brian Lewis September 21, 2016 | 6:07pm

Nets trust Jeremy Lin as 

leader – and major knock on him is bogus

Jeremy Lin has had spurts when he’s been handed the keys to an NBA offense, most notably the Linsanity run in 2012 that propelled him to global fame. He’s had a full season as a starting point guard, four years ago with the James Harden-dominated Rockets.

But never has he been entrusted as the leader — here, it’s your team — and Lin and the Nets claim he’s now ready for that mantle.

“I can’t wait,” Lin, 28, said at a recent appearance at Prospect Park.

When it was posed to him that the Nets were his team, he replied, “Me and Brook [Lopez] are going to try to lead the way, do things the right way and get some wins.”

Lin had better join Lopez in taking ownership of this one. Nets coach Kenny Atkinson – who mentored the guard during his time with the Knicks – expects him to do just that.

“I think he’s excited about [it]. He came off the bench in Charlotte last year and did a heck of a job, but this is a different deal,’’ Atkinson said. “Now, you’re kind of the quarterback, the Eli Manning. There’s a different level of responsibility. I think it’s new to him. We just had a talk: What can I do better to become a better leader?”

One of those things – in addition to Lin’s responsibility as the quarterback of the offense – is to be a rock on defense.

Despite a perception that he’s a poor defender – a view sources told The Post influenced the Knicks to shy away from bringing him back – Lin ranked 20th among point guards in ESPN’s Defensive Real Plus-Minus last season, better than the Knicks’ Jose Calderon and Jerian Grant or Nets predecessor Jarrett Jack.

“These are knocks on my game that, when I was a younger player, I’d agree with,’’ Lin told The Post. “I’ve improved, it just hasn’t been highlighted.’’

But it was noticed by Hornets coach Steve Clifford, who told the Charlotte Observer that Lin’s defensive versatility makes him their toughest player to replace from last season’s squad.

“I love the Steve Clifford quote from the other day. We need to keep him on this path,” Atkinson said. “He can be a darn good defender with his athleticism, his competitiveness. He feels a little slighted that he’s not considered a better defender, so we need to hold him accountable there.

“There are a lot of things. [Another] is make this team work, make it work on the offensive end, and make sure everybody’s touching it and get the right feel that we have balanced scoring and a balanced team. It’s a heck of a challenge for him. I think he’s prepared for it, and I think it’s the right time in his career. He’s smart enough, and he’ll grow into becoming a better leader as this thing goes on.”

Lin already has taken on responsibility mentoring rookie Isaiah Whitehead, who is learning how to play the point.

“Jeremy shows me things in practice, and just about using screen-and-rolls. When I’m guarding him, there’s certain things he does, I just try to pick up on that,’’ Whitehead told The Post. “It’s just his overall game. He’s a great player in the league, and I’m going to try to pick his brain.”

所有跟帖: 

JLin综合素质很高!篮网教练也很不错! -girl8888- 给 girl8888 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/21/2016 postreply 19:32:12

JLin作风有些软 -冒进者- 给 冒进者 发送悄悄话 (41 bytes) () 09/22/2016 postreply 11:24:35

Nets rising -iwinner- 给 iwinner 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/21/2016 postreply 20:49:16

只要好好用Lin,Nets是能够进季后赛的 -Eric999- 给 Eric999 发送悄悄话 (44 bytes) () 09/22/2016 postreply 08:36:07

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!