Oppenheimer

来源: leslieking 2023-07-27 10:17:52 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3025 bytes)

One of the best movies in life, shocking documentary of the making and dropping of the nuclear bomb that ended WWII. 

Wednesday afternoon, work was less busy and I have planned to treat self for not drinking for a month, thus sneaking to watch this newly released movie.  People actually talked about this movie at work. 

As usual, I was late for the movie missing perhaps the first few minutes (maybe the movie was long they didn’t have the usual 10-15 minutes movie ads).

Admittedly the first hour was boring to the point I almost dozed off: a physicist was appointed to head for a renown physics department; the scene of meeting an old and bit disoriented scholar (indeed Albert Einstein); the lengthy questioning and tortuous “trying to find a needle in a haystack" type of searching evidence to pass Oppenheimer security check for the role; his fantasy sextual encounter w a women who was thought to be a communist spy. I bet a physicist mind has always been in his world of atom, the smallest matter in the universe, how it interacts w things, energy, even during the moment of lovely intercourse. 

It was funny Robert De Niro showed up for a figure that may be negilegible through the entire documentary/drama.

The second half was getting more drama and stunning.  The testing in the Mojave Desert was very drastic and shocking, the timing and decision to blow up the bomb, the rain, the faintest possibility that the force out of the genie that may wipe out humanity is close to 0.  How funny even the best physicist can’t predict things in absolute 1 or 0 answer.  The fierce heat was stunning and thanks to the visual re-creation of the nuclear bomb we get to see the impact of the invention that may destroy ourselves in not too long future. 

It’s a weapon of mass destruction, it’s not ethical to use it to kill people.  Yet any weapon can kill people and this weapon of mass destruction can stop and end the war, I would use it.  I can't agree more.

(Searching his quote and only found this:   “It was the duty of the scientists to build the bomb, but it was the duty of the statesman to decide whether or how to use it.”  https://discover.lanl.gov/news/0714-oppenheimer-literature/)

It is rare people applauded at end of the movie, I mean, clapping and I sense the noticeable collective agreeing and appreciating, yes, in Oakland, one of the worst cities w high crime, homelessness and deteriorating sunken humanity in a modern city.  Perhaps right timing that world is again to the point of world war, perhaps we shall all look up and seek peace from the vast forces of unknown.  Instead of killing each other, look for where we can resort for a good rest, like watching a movie on a Wednesday afternoon.

所有跟帖: 

谢谢介绍,值得一看。我来推荐个别的,电影JAW的一个片段 -永远老李- 给 永远老李 发送悄悄话 (1246 bytes) () 07/27/2023 postreply 12:49:00

wow! so much unknown. -leslieking- 给 leslieking 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 07/27/2023 postreply 13:40:00

我去年在Los Alamos Lab时,正好遇到剧组在那里拍摄==》 -三步两桥- 给 三步两桥 发送悄悄话 三步两桥 的博客首页 (81 bytes) () 07/27/2023 postreply 20:55:21

你是在Los Alamos Lab工作吗?是做哪个方向的?我有认识的人在那边。听说上山去lab的山路非常陡峭,公路旁边就 -盈盈一笑间- 给 盈盈一笑间 发送悄悄话 盈盈一笑间 的博客首页 (30 bytes) () 07/28/2023 postreply 06:22:29

那个实验室没靠近过,免得惹麻烦。那个镇子我去过,没有太惊险的路。 -冯墟- 给 冯墟 发送悄悄话 冯墟 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/28/2023 postreply 13:30:09

嗯,是美国第一个核弹研究的实验室。镇子不惊险,去镇子的山路,好像不好走呀,一路都是悬崖。 -盈盈一笑间- 给 盈盈一笑间 发送悄悄话 盈盈一笑间 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/28/2023 postreply 20:15:08

不惊险,比较平常。 -冯墟- 给 冯墟 发送悄悄话 冯墟 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/28/2023 postreply 20:40:58

赞淡定 -盈盈一笑间- 给 盈盈一笑间 发送悄悄话 盈盈一笑间 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/28/2023 postreply 21:00:38

我去旅行,也有朋友在那里工作。那里风景绝佳,但是生活不是太便利。我对在那里为科学献身的科学家们充满敬意。 -三步两桥- 给 三步两桥 发送悄悄话 三步两桥 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/28/2023 postreply 18:44:55

是,我也是有认识的朋友在这个实验室工作。这周刚刚上映的电影《奥本海默》,美国原子弹之父,就是这个实验室的第一任的大头。 -盈盈一笑间- 给 盈盈一笑间 发送悄悄话 盈盈一笑间 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/28/2023 postreply 20:19:07

嗯,他是位传奇人物,读博时给导师下毒,如果得手了,就没有后来了,呵呵。。。 -三步两桥- 给 三步两桥 发送悄悄话 三步两桥 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/28/2023 postreply 21:24:16

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!