I think 80-20 did the right thing

来源: ivypa 2016-02-17 18:30:56 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (9795 bytes)

Not sure, but this is the email from S.B. Woo:

When Officer Peter Liang's case was first reported in Jan. last year, 
80-20 smelled something fishy.  As a result, 80-20 sent out a e-newsletter 
"Indictment against Peter Liang politically motivated?" Click here to read it.

We did much more.  We talked to Liang's first lawyer (Steve Worth), and 
Liang's two confidants - Doug Lee of NY and Bona Sun of NJ.  However, according to Doug, Peter Liang didn't want to talk to us on the phone.  So I offered to travel to NYC to talk to him in a restaurant.  You know what?  Liang backed out of that meeting although I took a specific trip to NYC.  After that 
80-20 washed its hands of Liang's case.   We couldn't help anyone who didn't want our help.   

This is a teachable moment.  A lot of people still don't want 80-20's help even today, EXCEPT when they are in real trouble. 80-20 is NOT that powerful. We can't jump in to help at the last moment, when the situation is really bad.   

We still fervently hope that the other orgs. will be effective in helping Liang, because his convictions are drastically different from those from earlier trials involving police officers.   Liang will be sentenced in April, and one of his lawyers said that there could be an appeal.

However, 80-20 is not prepared to help Peter Liang today.   People have to learn that their actions have consequences - a necessary step in our community's political maturity and self-empowerment movement.  

Think long-term!  If someone could repeatedly refuse our help, and if 
80-20 still jumps in to help at the last moment, it'll set a bad precedent.  
请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”