APAD: "The longest journey begins with a single step"

来源: 2024-03-14 07:06:41 [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读:
Meaning (in Chinese):
千里之行,始于足下

Origin (in English):
It's a common saying that originated from a Chinese proverb. The quotation is from Chapter 64 of the Dao De Jing ascribed to Laozi, although it is also erroneously ascribed to his contemporary Confucius. This saying teaches that even the longest and most difficult ventures have a starting point; something which begins with one first step.

Source (in person):
Last Thursday after we finished the brunch, we chose a longer and less traveled route walking back to our car (for a good reason: hoping no one would notice my egged pants).  When we passed by Chinatown, Hubby noticed some engraved words on the sidewalk, "Hey, it's a good phrase" he called out to me.  I got closer and took the pictures.  So here they are (see pictures attached).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I have tried but couldn't remember my first step when I started walking, a recent study published in the journal Nature suggested what may be the earliest-known human ancestor, an ape-man called Sahelanthropus tchadensis who lived in Africa roughly 7 million years ago, walked upright for much of the time. 
Wow, 7 million years, that is truly a long long journey and we have come a long ................. way!  加油