Gamma is important because it shows us how fast our position del

来源: marketreflections 2010-07-24 17:59:50 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (4933 bytes)
回答: stutland.blogspot.com trader websitemarketreflections2010-07-16 13:44:12

http://www.optiontradingtips.com/greeks/gamma.html Option Gamma The gamma of an option indicates how the delta of an option will change relative to a 1 point move in the underlying asset. In other words, the Gamma shows the option delta's sensitivity to market price changes. Gamma is important because it shows us how fast our position delta will change as the market price of the underlying asset changes. Remember: One of the things the delta of an option tells us is effectively how many underlying contracts we are long/short. So, the Gamma is telling us how fast our "effective" underlying position will change. In other words, Gamma shows how volatile an option is relative to movements in the underlying asset. So, by watching your gamma will let you know how large your delta (position risk) changes. The above graph shows Gamma vs Underlying price for 3 different strike prices. You can see that Gamma increases as the option moves from being in-the-money reaching its peak when the option is at-the-money. Then as the option moves out-of-the-money the Gamma then decreases. Note: The Gamma value is the same for calls as for puts. If you are long a call or a put, the gamma will be a positive number. If you are short a call or a put, the gamma will be a negative number. When you are "long gamma", your position will become "longer" as the price of the underlying asset increases and "shorter" as the underlying price decreases. Conversely, if you sell options, and are therefore "short gamma", your position will become shorter as the underlying price increases and longer as the underlying decreases. This is an important distinction to make between being long or short options - both calls and puts. That is, when you are long an option (long gamma) you want the market to move. As the underlying price increases, you become longer, which reinforces your newly long position. If being "long gamma" means you want movements in the underlying asset, then being "short gamma" means that you do not want the price of the underlying asset to move. A short gamma position will become shorter as the price of the underlying asset increases. As the market rallies, you are effectively selling more and more of the underlying asset as the delta becomes more negative. Long Gamma Trading Take a look at this video from Options Unversity. It provides an overview of the concept of Gamma Trading. Source: Options University. The above video is an expert from OU's Options101 Home Study Course. Comments (5) Seth Baker February 9th, 2010 at 3:04pm This is interesting stuff. I use google to help me find stuff about options. One cool site has a different approach - they claim to not have an opinion on the market. Rather, they work with you on which type of trade to make, based on the Greeks, etc. I may spell this wrong, but I think it's http://www.timeforoptions.com Peter October 8th, 2009 at 7:05pm Hi Anthony, I agree that the video doesn't get off to a good start...I link directly to the video on the OU site. They've changed the video to what they've had previously, which provided a longer introduction. At the start of the video Ron has already begun discussing "short gamma", where if you are short gamma and the market is going down your position gets "longer" i.e. your delta position grows. That's what he means when he says "buying deltas" on the way down. Do you think my description (not the video) above differs from what you've read elsewhere? If so, let me know where the contradiction is and if I'm wrong I'll correct the content accordingly. Thanks for the feedback! Anthony October 7th, 2009 at 10:39pm I am learning to trade options by the greeks (delta, gamma, theta, vega) but have traded options for many years. I have looked up several definitions and am doing an online course. This definition here and the subsequent video are by far the most confusing I have ever come across. The video begins with "In a sense on the way down, our short gamma position is buying deltas for us...". How in the heck can someone trying to understand Gamma as a definition begin to understand this. Peter September 20th, 2009 at 8:09pm Thanks for the suggestion...much appreciated. I'll write up something on delta neutral trading and a bit more on gamma scalping. Howdy September 20th, 2009 at 10:38am I have basic knowledge of options buying and selling calls and puts. I would appreciate it if more detailed explanation is added in for gamma and delta trading. I am still confused as to how gamma trading works. Thanks

所有跟帖: 

At-the-money options have the largest gamma -marketreflections- 给 marketreflections 发送悄悄话 marketreflections 的博客首页 (826 bytes) () 07/24/2010 postreply 18:03:17

As volatility falls,the gamma of deep in-the-money and out-of-th -marketreflections- 给 marketreflections 发送悄悄话 marketreflections 的博客首页 (329 bytes) () 07/24/2010 postreply 18:06:51

spot movement is increasingly driven by what goes on in the opti -marketreflections- 给 marketreflections 发送悄悄话 marketreflections 的博客首页 (5862 bytes) () 07/24/2010 postreply 18:15:19

when investors sell market maker puts, they have to buy stock to -marketreflections- 给 marketreflections 发送悄悄话 marketreflections 的博客首页 (10648 bytes) () 07/24/2010 postreply 18:32:29

market-makers who bought those options trade the “gamma” aggress -marketreflections- 给 marketreflections 发送悄悄话 marketreflections 的博客首页 (8857 bytes) () 07/24/2010 postreply 18:53:43

market makers can not keep up with the realized integrated volat -marketreflections- 给 marketreflections 发送悄悄话 marketreflections 的博客首页 (1733 bytes) () 07/24/2010 postreply 20:21:53

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”