反华电影“喜福会”

来源: 我欲因之 2009-01-13 09:32:45 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (4191 bytes)

反华电影“喜福会”
----我欲因之

I have heard of the movie "joy luck club" for quite a while, which, I assume, means that the movie has some pupularity in the Chinese community. I finally watched it last night and did not like it that much.

The movie attacked the Chinese culture in every which way, which made me suspect if the movie was founded by some anti-Chinese organizations: All the four mothers in the movie had a horrible life in China. All the four daughters had a horrible life because of their Chinese culture. At the end of the movie one daughter went back to China to meet with her sisters, which made me wonder if she went to "rescue" her sisters from the horrible Chinese culture.

Some of the plots were ridiculously unrealistic: A mother held a magazine with a picture of her daughter on the street to show off after her daughter won a chess competition. A hu*****and brought a prostitute home and called his wife, who was waiting for him, a whore. A married couple divided their expenses to the cents. 

That being said, I did find the movie quite moving and thought-provoking. It reminded me of a young Chinese woman I met a couple of years ago. She was then a master student in art. She had no problem expressing her strong hatred toward the Chinese culture. She was a very pretty girl. She colored her eyes blue and her hair brown, without which she would be even prettier. After knowing her more, it turned out that the root was that her parents never accepted her because she, unlike her cousins, was not able to go to medical school or law school and her parents felt embarrassed in front of their relatives. Her parents was not doing well themselves, working blue-collar jobs here and there with no retirement plans.

She actually was a good daughter in other aspects. She worked part-time to support herself and never asked for money during her college years. Her part-time job was working as a waitress and sometimes complained to me that her back hurt because of the intensive hours. She put aside some money, although it was only a few hundred dollars at that time, for her parents' retirement and felt guilty to use it when she absolutely had to. Her parents, however, never accepted her just because she was not able to go to medical school or law school while her cousins were.

I would recommend the movie "saving face", which is equally thought-provoking but more realistic. 

01/13/09

请阅读更多我的博客文章>>>

8226;  天才的你,为何郁闷?
8226;  潮坊 (VIII)
8226;  章子怡的PP和John的JJ
8226;  柞里子:2008岁末的尴尬
8226;  三毛与自杀

所有跟帖: 

原书作者Amy Tan 是一个很假很做作的人, -北京二号- 给 北京二号 发送悄悄话 北京二号 的博客首页 (78 bytes) () 01/13/2009 postreply 10:07:51

这也算反华? -丹凤高粱- 给 丹凤高粱 发送悄悄话 丹凤高粱 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/13/2009 postreply 12:19:22

在国内的时候有一年过三月八号妇女节,党委领导的工会妇联 -Yuan- 给 Yuan 发送悄悄话 Yuan 的博客首页 (249 bytes) () 01/13/2009 postreply 15:49:59

I’m not a big fan of Amy Tan and rarely read her books, -RPV- 给 RPV 发送悄悄话 (229 bytes) () 01/13/2009 postreply 22:01:38

听说是有反国男之嫌 -Glider- 给 Glider 发送悄悄话 Glider 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/14/2009 postreply 03:31:49

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”