投资儿女的回报

来源: 2014-08-05 05:39:21 [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读:
(本来不准备贴这里的。但被这里的某人追着,俺反尔要在这里BSO以下。:)。)

今天还在下班的路上呢,太太的电话打进来:你女儿给你一封信,我可以先拆开看吗?我说:你看吧。女儿来信,肯定是一道给老爸老妈的。

到家了问太太:女儿有事吗?太太说:你自己看吧,我看完都流眼泪了。

我拿过来一看,是一张2500块的支票和一封手写的信。大意是:恭喜爸爸妈妈还完房贷。爸爸,我给你一张支票,你请妈妈和弟弟去城里最好的餐馆好好庆祝一下你们的achievement。让妈妈放心,我很好,这个夏天和男朋友走遍了新英格兰的山山水水,上个礼拜还在查尔丝河上划独木舟呢。。。

我知道是我上个礼拜还完房贷后写email和女儿分享喜悦,顺便开她玩笑说老爸老妈的emergence fund万一不够用,就要找她借钱呢。这是我上次的email:

Hi, DDD,

Just want to share some good news with you. Your mom and I just paid off our mortgage on our house! So now we are moving to the next stage--preparation of your brother's college cost and our retirement catch-up saving. It proves that with careful planning and discipline we can achieve our financial freedom. Your mom and I have lived within our mean, and we are one-step closer to our financial freedom now.

Be prepared if I ask you for money in emergency.:). I only have cash for 2 months of living. However, don’t worry, we are going to be ok in a few months. Without paying mortgage, we can save 1K more every month...

没想到玩笑被女儿当真了。吃完晚饭,和太太商量完毕,给女儿这么回的:

Hi, DDD,

Your mom was deeply touched after reading your letter. Both she and I want to thank you for your nice words and the check.

We do not need your help at this moment.  Your mom suggested a traditional Chinese way--cash you check and save the money for your wedding. As you once said that I was a most-Americanized Chinese dad, I wish to maintain our "independent status". Therefore, we will keep your check in a frame so we can see it everyday. :).

We did celebrate after we paid off our mortgage. It was your brother's choice--5 Guys. Since it was the 1st time to visit the restaurant for your mom and me, I did not even order a topping for my burger--a very special memory for the celebration, I guess.

I will take you words, taking your mom and your brother to the best restaurant in town after your brother starts his high school later this month. It is also a big event in our life as mom and dad, which deserves a big celebration...

据说美国生物WSN的标志就是开corolla。上个礼拜湾区的老朋友来拜访,看见我的corolla,还问是不是我当年从我师兄手里买下的二手车。是啊,十年前师兄刚买下房子不久,师嫂突然生病不能上班了,万般无奈的师兄只好边卖这辆两年新的车保证还房贷,边卖房子。正好电话里说起我要买车,就一口答应了师兄,让师兄按Bluebook上的价格卖给我。师兄都走了七年了,而这部车却一直伴随着我上下班和周末钓鱼,从没让我失望过。昨天和太太说,要还能开两年,我就可以换部新车了,还是corolla吧,要不就civic。毕竟生物WSN的招牌还是不能丢的。

作为生物WSN,是不可能有财产留给子女的。但我希望我和太太追求的“financially independent”精神能让孩子也以自立为荣。钓鱼种菜的低碳生活方式,我是开烤肉啦(Corolla)的Proud Dad!