回复:回复:房客没有买保险的义务,只有按时交房租的义务。

来源: 2006-12-10 09:02:43 [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读:
It depends. You need to look at your contract. Usually on a "standard" residential lease (e.g. @ TX), there may be a paragraph/clause set up like this:

This lease automatically renews on a month-to-month basis unless Landlord or Tenant provides the other party written notice of termination not less than 30 days before the Expiration Date.

If this lease automatically renews on a month-to-month basis, it will continue to renew on a month-to-month basis until either party privides written notice of termination to the other party and the notice of termination will be effective on the last day of the month following the month in which the notice is given.

Thus, 在automatically续约时候, either you or the Landlord can change terms or walk away (terminate) the leasehold BY WRITTING. In other words, you Landlord can request you to buy insurance, or you can refuse BY WRITTING and walk away.

As a landlord, I buy the insurance to cover my properties, and ask my tenants to buy insurance for their own personal properties and people, as a requirement for the primary term and renewed term. It's not that expensive (a couple of hundred dollars a year).

As either a tenant or landlord, do not feel patronizing toward the other party. This is business, you can always walk away if you do not agree on the terms. The insurance should provide you peace of mind for your family, it's a good investment to your family.