See the link.

来源: mems 2004-04-07 11:46:43 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1547 bytes)
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=106287,00.html

I quoted some of the text in the following. I think your HR is confused by the part "if an alien is considered a resident alien". This means if you really have a green card, but I think you don;t have it. However, if you are on H1B then you are considered to intend to become a resident alien so you need to pay SS & Medicare.

So, go back to your HR and point out this to them and get your refund.

=======================================================
A nonresident alien temporarily in the United States as a nonimmigrant on an "F-1," "J-1," "M-1," or "Q-1" visa is not subject to social security and Medicare taxes on pay for services performed to carry out the purpose for which the alien was admitted to the United States. Social security and Medicare taxes should not be withheld or paid on this amount. This exemption from social security and Medicare taxes also applies to employment performed under Curricular Practical Training and Optional Practical Training, on or off campus, by foreign students in "F-1," "J-1," "M-1" or "Q" nonimmigrant status as long as the employment is authorized by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. However, if an alien is considered a resident alien, that pay is subject to social security and Medicare taxes even though the alien is still in one of the nonimmigrant statuses mentioned above. This rule also applies to FUTA (unemployment) taxes paid by the employer.

所有跟帖: 

But... -OPTer- 给 OPTer 发送悄悄话 (647 bytes) () 04/07/2004 postreply 12:24:27

Taxing resident. -mems- 给 mems 发送悄悄话 (457 bytes) () 04/07/2004 postreply 12:41:20

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”