2. 关于民权运动和多元文化

来源: zinn2 2016-10-26 19:58:32 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (9549 bytes)

This country became the top developed country before 1950, when all economy and politics was dominated by white Christians. I will not say such a fact was fair to all people lived in USA. On the other hand, none can deny the fact that a system dominated by white Christians had led to a prosperous and strong country. I will not say the system in 1950 was ideal. On the other hand, none can deny the fact that, according to the global standards around 1950, such a system was the best system existed that time. The important characteristics of this system include: democracy, capitalism, and high-tech industry. Such a system was attractive to people in Asia, in Africa, and in other countries in America Continental. For non-white new immigrants around 1900 and afterwards, they have been disadvantaged comparing with white people born here or new white immigrants, but almost all of them have felt that life in this country has been better for them than their homelands.

Sure, there are many problems in such a political system. The most serious problem is racial issue. Hence, I totally support the Civil Right Movement in 1960s. Colored people should be treated equally so that they can compete in job market fairly and share any government resources equally. Immigration should be open to citizens from all foreign countries based on qualification to job market needs without race or country quote.

Unfortunately, civil right movement after 1980s has been changed to favoritism, allotting special arrangement to certain races. If such favoritism was necessary for the first generation minorities after Civil Right Movement, it should not exist anymore after 1990. Unfortunately, recent civil right movement is promoting more favoritism. Frankly speaking, I do not agree with most civil right movements undergoing.

Hence, my view for the future of USA is: 1) we need to improve the politics in this country continuously, but still centered on white Christian culture; 2) we should not take culture/politics in any minority to make USA more like his/her homeland. First, to be practical, “NOT BREAK, DON’T FIX”. We should stay with white christian heritage. Second, for the large groups of minority ( black people, Latinos, or Asians), none has developed a successive political system in their homelands (not including those strongly influenced by USA, such as Japan). Third, if you believe your homeland has a better system, please just enjoy it in your homeland. Why have you immigrated? Hence, the big picture of today’s multi-culture policy is a big mistake. On national policy level, it is much better for minorities to accept principles based on white Christian culture. I am not confusing culture with politics because culture is the infrastructure of politics. I hope minority groups can fit in rather than change the politics because of their voting power. The later may make them comfortable now but likely hurts the future of this country.

When I lived in China, I was not prosecuted. I immigrated to USA voluntarily because USA is prosperous. Hence, it is important for USA to be prosperous continuously (at least for 2-3 generations for my offspring). If not, my effort in immigration is wasted. While hoping USA to be prosperous, I am trying my efforts for myself and my sons to climb up in the social status. Contrarily, some immigrants and some minority just try to get as much as their share in this country without consideration of the long term prosperity of the whole country.

I will not say white people have been very nice to legal immigrants or minorities. However, I do not believe minorities in power will be nicer to other minorities than white people. I have heard many examples that AA are very mean to Asians. Asians have been easy pick targets of crimes by some AA. I expect Asians in power in USA will be mean to other Asians in  USA too as Asians in power in Asia are very mean to their citizens. Under such conditions, I have to hope white people in power to get the best for me as a Chinese immigrant. For example, AA and Latinos in California continues their efforts to enroll fewer Asians in UC campuses.

I agree human being is born to be equal. However, culture/politics of a race or a nation, which has been formed over hundreds years, is not equal. For example, at the age of exploration and imperialism, Spain and England both set up multiple colonies. Several modern countries are developed from colonies set up by Spain and several modern countries are developed from the colonies set up by England. English speaking countries have performed much better than Spanish speaking countries. Do you believe this is solely caused by random history events? Leaving faith value alone, worldly, a culture/politics based on protestant and industrialization is better than a culture/politics based on Catholic and agriculture (in 15-17th century, Spain was still dominated by agriculture). To handle a person and the heritage of his culture/politics, we need to use a theory similar to the teaching in church that we should not despise a sinner but we should criticize the sin that a sinner is with.  Hence, USA should welcome immigrants from different cultures, but not let their heritage significantly affect the progress of the mainstream culture/politics. Not to mention the heritage of some immigrants with culture/politics in whose homelands being generally hostile to core values in USA.

Also, I do not believe that IQ of certain race is significantly inferior to another race. However, the culture of AA has just dragged them behind. I do not think AA after 1990 (one generation after 1965 when most racial based bans removed) can complain their failure to the politics. Families in my village had been disadvantaged for > 200 years as farmers in small village without any special resources. As soon as the opportunity opened to us in early 1980s (enrollment to college only by test score and allowance of migrate working), averagely, we became as successive as other regions in X'X'X Province in 20 years.

The values of their culture damage them more than anything else. I do not want Asians and AA become hostile to each other by comparing them. As this is communication among family members, I can say it. I will not say Asians are more moral in all aspects, but apparently Asians have much more family values. People used to be able to succeed with merely physical strength (ready ~14 years old) and wisdom in common sense. However, now, people are much more likely to succeed with professional training (ready after ~22 years old and paid education), which is much more available with family support. Such family support is based on how rich your family is and how much sacrifice your family will take. Many AA families are not rich and do not want to sacrifice. Asian immigrants are much more believing in knowledge (especially STEM). A person without knowledge to compete in this society is similar to an army to fight without tanks, airplanes, missiles after 1950. After I have compared between China and USA for years, I believe the success of Chinese economy is most importantly due to the total openness to STEM knowledge (sure it may be bad without any moral, environment, and faith consideration).

Today, pushing changes outside AA will not improve their society as much as promoting changes internally. However, it is politically incorrect to propose such movement (e.g., strengthen families in AA community, push them to study). According to methodology, change is always dependent on both external conditions and internal conditions. Actually, internal condition is more critical. Today, many movements for AA are just to give them nicer policy. For example, the movement of “black life matter” is against policing and regulation. Frankly speaking, policing and regulation is actually helping disadvantaged groups (including Asian immigrants). Without policing and regulation, AA can be abused by white gang groups easily.

I believe minorities should fight for tolerance so that 1) they can compete with all other people in job market and professional training fairly (with the same criteria); 2) they can practice some life habits in private life. For example, they can have their food habits without discrimination. They can set up business for their convenience. However, it is not wise to use their culture to influence national politics or to use their voting power to override national interest. For example, Latinos should not use their voting power to legalize illegal immigrants. Immigrated Chinese and ABC should not influence foreign relationship with China either.

Many people will say multi-culture policy  will promote understanding by promoting events for original culture of immigrants. With international travel becoming easy, it will be more effective to use these resources to promote international travel to these countries. To understand Chinese culture, it is much better to order a box of 小笼包in a street side restaurant in Shanghai than to have some orange chicken in a multi-culture fair in County Fair.

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”