the article revised by a english teacher.

来源: clinton-2007 2009-05-26 16:35:16 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (7153 bytes)
Hello redwest,

I post your article on a website and get the revised article made by a American English teacher. I hope you won't mind at it.
-----------------------------------------------------

As PhD students, we have to work with our supervisors for four or five years, maybe even longer. Our success in achieving this degree partly depends on the ability and support of our supervisors. We may even make less effort ourselves if we have good supervisors. Here, I am going to talk about how to get along with your supervisor based on lessons learned from my own experiences.

1. Know more about your supervisor. Before you (enroll, arrive on campus, get to the school, commit to a program? - depends on the intended meaning), you should try to learn more about your future supervisor, about his/her reputation, personality, teaching style, and research abilities.

2. Depend on yourself to do your own research. (This isn't really an accurate topic sentence for this paragraph. Her advice here is not to do your own research, but to choose your own research topic and plan.) You may have a knowledgeable and resourceful supervisor. He may have a substantial research proposal and work plan. But you still need to ask yourself: Are you interested in the research topic? Is it something you feel confident pursuing? You will have an easier time (better experience?) if your answer to these questions is Yes. Professors always (often?) have ambitious ideas. But you will be the one conducting the research, not your professor. The research relates to your degree, your future, not his/hers. You have to be clear on the research questions, the methodologies of collecting the data, and the outcome that you are expecting. I'll share my experience as an example. My research topic came from me (was self-generated) since my supervisor had no ideas. During the course of my research, I received lots of misunderstanding and wrong directions. There were a few reasons for this. One was that my English was not good enough to clearly explain what I was thinking and what I was doing. Another was that this was not my supervisors' area of expertise. Anyway, I insisted on (going with my gut, following my instincts) until I finally (achieved the results I wanted, completed the project to my satisfaction). My supervisors totally agreed with my research questions and outcome once I had figured them out. Ok. Here is (Compare that with?) another example: One of my friends received a topic suggested by her supervisor, although she did not like it much. She was a bit scared of her supervisor, so she didn't want to argue. But one day she found that she had no way to goidea which way to go next. The research involved an area that she was not familiar with. Ironically, her supervisor also had no idea. There are definitely (obviously?) lots of different ways to go at a research project, definitely, not only one way not just one right way. But you need to make a plan that you are interested in and you are confident with.

3. Ask questions and take suggestions from your/other professors. As Chinese students, we are used to being good students who take guidance from the boss and act exactly following the advice. Professors are always busy, and they often treat (regard?) supervising as a job. They may not relate the research to the student’s survival and future. Also, professors are not as knowledgeable as you might imagine. They are proficient with only(?) their own areas of study/research. (They are only really proficient in their own areas of study.) They often have their own particular style/method for going about the research and will advise the students to follow the same (method, style). International students should not be insecure with their English (ability) and (background) knowledge. Ask any questions that you want answered when you have the opportunity to do so. Do not worry about your English. They will understand because they are professors. Just ask, and push both yourself and your supervisor to think. Answers will often emerge from your discussions. Don't just asklimit these questions and discussions to your supervisor. Ask all the professors whom you are working with. They may not familiar with your areas, but they must know how to conduct a research project. They can give your ideas and suggestions from different perspectives. You can/should take them and deliberately combine them into your research. It is even (would implies that the are unwilling to) better if these professors would like to read your papers or thesis. They can help you to come up with a very neat and nice clarify your writing. Don't forget that professors are the best resources, better than library references.

4. Respect your supervisor, but protect yourself. As Chinese students, we know how to respect professors. This is our tradition. Be polite to your supervisor. Try to learn his culture, and treat him/her as your boss and your partner. Show that you respect to him/her and that you enjoy working with him/her. It would (can, may?) be helpful to send him/her greetings on his/her festivals. You may become good friends or partners (after a while, for a long time to come). But not all professors are nice. Some professors may look down on Chinese students. They may bully you because your English is not good, your research abilities are not strong, or you have no strong social connection in this new place. Do not be scared (timid?) with them. Become familiar with (familiarize yourself with) university policies and collect any evidences that they are crossing the lines of appropriate behavior. No boss on earth is without defect. (I assume this is translation of a Chinese saying. There are other ways to say this: No one is without sin/blame. No one is completely blameless.) When they (stomp on, mock, ridicule) your culture and benefits (? the pairing of culture and benefits here doesn't make sense to me. Is it cultural benefits? Or should a different verb be used: mocking your culture and denying your benefits?), tell them what your culture is and what your base line (Again meaning is not quite clear. By "base line" do you mean "threshold of tolerance" or do you mean the student should clarify his legal rights?) is. But do not be over-irritated. A balanced relationship with your supervisor partly depends on yourself. Try to build a comfortable relationship with your supervisor during the first semester or year when you are working with him/her (We might also say to build the relationship you want "from day one"). Once an unbalanced relationship has been built, it is difficult to change. Anyway, if you find that your relationship is not working, quickly try to find another way (or "a way to change it"). No hesitations.

We must be excellent students if we can get the opportunity to go to a new country to study and learn. In a new country, we have to handle lots of problems. Some are from the study. Some are from our life. But we must prevail, and we will prevail if we apply our wisdom and our energy. Best wishes with all of us.
请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”