China 2007 (1) - Beijing Train Station

来源: xux 2007-12-05 13:52:43 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (5657 bytes)

The bad part of flying Northwest to China is that it is EXTRA LONG. First we have to fly to either Detroit or Minneapolis (Day 1 9:00 am), then to Tokyo, then to Beijing. By the time we got to Beijing (Day 2 9:00pm), we already spent more than 24 hours either at the airports or on the planes. It is a long and painful journey, the worst part of the whole trip.

Day 3
There is no doubt about it that Beijing is a lot cleaner than before, but the pollution and the traffic are still terrible. You have to pray that it is a windy day so the wind can blow the pollution off, and you can actually see 100 yards away. The Olympic stadiums' construction is almost done, but is the city ready for the Olympics? Everyone has their own opinion.

We went to the train station to buy train tickets to Nanjing. There are many ticket windows open. Each has about 10 people in line. We waited for ~10 minutes. It came to our turn, and here is how it went:
I said: "Hello! I want to buy three soft sleeper tickets to Nanjing on the 15th."
The ticket seller said: "Three tickets, Z49 on the 15th, 2 lower berth, 1 upper berth, 1234 Yuan."
I gave her 1300 RMB through the little opening on the window.
She threw my tickets and change back and yelled "next".
I grabbed my tickets and change, said "Thank you" and quickly move aside

The ticket seller was so stone faced, never bothered to say "hello", "thank you", or "please". In fact, she didn't bother to say any unnecessary word to me at all. This stroked me so hard on my first day back in China, I thought: "man, the service industry needs to be improved." Later, after many bad service experiences, I don't know if I would be so sensitive anymore.

FYI: Soft sleepers have 4-berth compartments with full bedding provided. Lower berth costs 417 RMB for Beijing->Nanjing one-way per person, upper berth costs 400 RMB. Pray you can get a lower berth, cause you have to be pretty agile to climb to the upper berth. There is no ladder. All you get is a folding stepping pad, 4"* 4" in size, mounted between the upper and lower beds.
1. Beijing Train Station.

From the train station, I called Yuan, my high school classmate. She worked at Jian Wai SOHO, an office park very close to the train station. We decided to meet at her office for lunch. Dave and I took a taxi, what a mistake. The office build is literally 2 miles down the road, but because of the traffic restriction for the taxis (according to the driver), the taxi took the second ring loop, going south, U-turned, go north, then U-turned again, finally got back on Chang An Street. It took over 30 minutes to get there. It would have been much quicker if we had taken the bus, or the subway.

Yuan looked exactly the same as I saw her 5 years ago. We were best friends in high school. She is slightly older than me. She used to take care of me like a sister, and she still does. When the city you grew up with have changed so much that you feel like an stranger in your own city, one thing that helps to make the city still feel like a hometown is that, you know there are families and friends there who care about you.
2. Our lunch: 麻辣锅.

(To be continued)

请阅读更多我的博客文章>>>
•  China 2007 (0) - Trip planning
•  1995 Ford Taurus SHO
•  Messages from Discover Card
•  Nanjing Salted Duck
•  Green Bean Starch (appetizer)

所有跟帖: 

问mm好:) -DeepCreek- 给 DeepCreek 发送悄悄话 DeepCreek 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/05/2007 postreply 17:44:54

DC好! 不好意思,又拿英文贴来torture大家啦 -xux- 给 xux 发送悄悄话 xux 的博客首页 (38 bytes) () 12/05/2007 postreply 18:03:26

又见北京,怎么老欺负偶们英文不灵光的啊 -北方憨哥在北美- 给 北方憨哥在北美 发送悄悄话 北方憨哥在北美 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/05/2007 postreply 22:43:25

憨哥好! 憨哥又开玩笑,您英文还能不灵光啊 :) -xux- 给 xux 发送悄悄话 xux 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/06/2007 postreply 06:59:23

说到软卧,想起我的经历 -erdong- 给 erdong 发送悄悄话 erdong 的博客首页 (94 bytes) () 12/06/2007 postreply 08:48:58

天哪,那还不闷死?Don't they check it before leaving? -xux- 给 xux 发送悄悄话 xux 的博客首页 (54 bytes) () 12/06/2007 postreply 09:39:44

从开车前一直到终点站都在修 -erdong- 给 erdong 发送悄悄话 erdong 的博客首页 (68 bytes) () 12/06/2007 postreply 09:45:38

就退了空调费? 应该把车票钱都退了,再给一张免费车票 for future ride -xux- 给 xux 发送悄悄话 xux 的博客首页 (51 bytes) () 12/06/2007 postreply 09:56:19

喜欢那种麻辣锅。。。。 -mengxu- 给 mengxu 发送悄悄话 mengxu 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/06/2007 postreply 09:21:16

好吃的还在后头哪. 预告:南京四川饭店的小笼汤包,南京烧鸭... -xux- 给 xux 发送悄悄话 xux 的博客首页 (19 bytes) () 12/06/2007 postreply 09:44:35

火车你应该坐D31动车组,全程8小时。 -Chuchairen- 给 Chuchairen 发送悄悄话 Chuchairen 的博客首页 (36 bytes) () 12/06/2007 postreply 12:16:15

Thought about it. It wastes day time. Flying is too much hassle. -xux- 给 xux 发送悄悄话 xux 的博客首页 (61 bytes) () 12/06/2007 postreply 13:13:07

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”