我的‘黑手党’客户

来源: 蛮论天下 2010-02-07 17:19:43 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3781 bytes)

Joe Sr., ‘The boss’, was my customer and friend.  The rumor was that he was a 'wise guy' (mafia).  We got along really well and he had invited me to his big house in Arizona quite a few times.  Unfortunately I was never able to make it.

His company was well known in New York.  Everyone in that company  was in awe of him. But when I went in there, I always tried to act tough and as the stand-up guy, knowing he’s probably not going to break my Chinese knee caps.  I guess that’s the only  way he could respect me and treat me as his equal.    Well, I still have the cigars I got from him.

I remember the first time I went in his office. I saw an old styled barber’s chair.  And he said his friend gave it to it to him as a gift when he moved into the new office.  I jokingly asked if he ever slit any guys’ throats there. 

There’s always that warm and fuzzy feeling when I was around these Italian guys.  I stayed for lunch in their offices a few times.  And you would have a bunch of guys sitting together, eating some Italian sandwiches and sausages they ordered from the neighborhood.  And they would comment how good and authentic the foods were.  Of course, they would make Spaghetti and tomato sauce in the company kitchen, just like in the movies.   The way they talked was, you know, just like in the Soprano's.

Last time I went in there, the guy who made the Spaghetti, whom Joe said was the real wise guy, was in a heated conversation with him about politics.  The Spaghetti guy was probably playing a role of ‘Sammy the Bull’ when he was young.  Now that's a little scary.  He was obviously an Obama fan but Joe and his sales manager were on the other side.  Naturally you know what whom I sided with.

Knowing Joe for many years, I could see his health had deteriorated.  The gold chains started to look weighing too much around his neck.

Four months later, I was told Joe Sr. passed away.  He had cancer.  I was sad.  This was after they lost Tommy, his brother-in-law a year ago.  Tommy was one of the greatest, and most optimistic guys around.  Every time someone I personally knew passed away, it always had me think about life, or how fragile life is. 

May Joe rest in peace…

请阅读更多我的博客文章>>>
  • 何处可以获得更高投资回报
  • A tropical dream trip
  • 我的情人节必看节目
  • 企业的癌细胞
  • 几个惊人的数据
  • 所有跟帖: 

a God father story? -小谋- 给 小谋 发送悄悄话 小谋 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/07/2010 postreply 17:22:11

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!